Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D2 1.6 diesel Any good?

Views : 2244

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2020, 20:18   #1
Lexington013

Default V70 D2 1.6 diesel Any good?

My D5 185bhp is showing it’s age a bit.
I have the opportunity of a 13 plate D2 model.
Anyone any experience of these?
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 21:37   #2
AlexV70Drive1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington013 View Post
My D5 185bhp is showing it’s age a bit.
I have the opportunity of a 13 plate D2 model.
Anyone any experience of these?
I have a cat s v70 2011 1.6 drive r design model and it has been fine so far! Starts up first time, drives like new and is very cheap to run and tax at £30 a year. Not a bad choice but you want it with as much history (especially oil changes) but other than that it seems good enough. Does well around town and on the motor way and pulls very well for a 1.6 with the turbo hitting boost it does feel relatively fast for what it is. Mines an R design with the big wheels and other styling bits. Paid £1700 for mine at salvage yard with full history and cam belt changed at 97k it’s now on 117k I’ve done 3k in it and it’s not missed a beat. You want one that’s had the cambelt and water pump done or you want to get it done ASAP. Really nice cars mate. Cat s was a dent on the rear quarter I haven’t finished repairing it yet just knocked it out so it looks abit better! : I just made a post this morning about the stop start not working and a low battery message but I think I sorted it by nipping up the terminals on the big battery so I’ll see how that goes. Have you seen one you like the look of? Post a pic or something so we can have a look mate
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexV70Drive1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2020, 15:12   #3
Lexington013

Thanks Alex, think. Will miss the power of the D5 so although the D2 looked a good buy, I think I will narrow my search to a later D5 or D4 in V70/XC70 or XC60 guise. I’m in no real hurray. Will invest in tackling the rust on the lip of the front wings.....apart from that the V70 isn’t in bad shape. I like the geartronic box in the P3 Volvos, it’s relatively seamless and does suit the D5 engine really well.
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexington013 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:04   #4
AlexV70Drive1

Cool

I think they are great for how much they are to run the 1.6d it’s the engine they use in pugs, fords and lots of other cars too but there are also horror stories of Turbos failing but if it’s been serviced regularly with the correct oil, not raged about and just looked after then I’d say at least test drive one and see for yourself how well it gets down the road but it will not feel like what you have now lol but still good and won’t feel slow by any means. I see what you’re saying and If I were you I’d stick to the devil I know and fix yo the one you have and run it into the ground as the worst thing would be to buy another one and end up having issues (not saying you will) I’ve been looking about on eBay I’ve only found ones going for cheapest £1950 it sold needing a new engine 😫 and next up was a really ropey beaten up sliver one cat N for £3500 other then that they are about 5 to 7k for a clean low miles one. I’d go for an XC60 if I had the option over the v70 because I think they look abit nicer. I’m not a fan of autos myself but if you got a 1.6d it would probably feel nicer and less work to drive as I do feel like it wants me to be up and down the gears a lot but i got used to that quite quickly. I got lucky with mine because cat S puts a lot of people off especially when they don’t know what they are looking at and have been told not to touch salvage cars! They are mostly bargains if you can repair the body or mechanical damage yourself but not for the faint of heart also having the Volvo history and cambelt done at Volvo really sealed the deal for me. Good luck to you mate hope you get that rust sorted out and when you’re ready hope you find yourself a bargain! Let me know when you want to start looking and I’ll try to help you find a good one!

Last edited by AlexV70Drive1; May 23rd, 2020 at 12:10.
AlexV70Drive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexV70Drive1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 22:52   #5
TeamG
Master Member

I’ve got the V70 1.6 drive and love it. Tax £30, service £28-42/year as I do myself. Round town 40ish mpg, but on a run it’s awesome. My record is Penarth- Salzburg on a tankful (1040miles) and showing 80 miles remaining. Insurance costs me £148. In 5 years, it’s cost me a clutch, 2 tyres, a rear caliper (stud broken by the sales garage), and brake pads all round.

Super comfy long distance (I have family in Bavaria and visit annually). Fine on the Autobahn cruising at 90 fully laden, but I would forget about single carriageway overtaking altogether. So easy to work on as there is plenty of room in the engine bay.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2020, 21:51   #6
MCFastybloke

If you live like i do close to a motorway, drive like i do, 500 a week on the motorway withthe cruise on at 73,never more then two up then it will be fine,

If you live in the hills, have a large family carry lots of luggage/bike/stuff, then i dont think its upto it long term and there are better engines.
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 23:29   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

When the P2 V70 came out in 2000 - who would have believed at the time that you would soon be able to buy a later model which had the engine from a Mini....? (The old Rover Mini production ceased in October 2000 and with it died the A-series engine).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 12:21   #8
Montana
Master Member

For me a 1.6 in a V70 bodyshell is a no-no, i discounted the 2.0D PSA as potentially too underpowered due to the extra size/weight when i was looking for a V70 (ended up with an XC) - i had previously owned the 2.0D PSA in V50 form which was fine.

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 15:05   #9
Potski

If it help's I'll throw in my thoughts.

I have an S80 D2. Bought at 10 months of age in April 2014 with 24k on the clock and now has 165k and its never really missed a beat. Its always been services by either MRG Volvo in Chippenham when it was still a proper Volvo garage and then at Kings in Westbury.

The only things that have needed attention apart from the normal consumables are 1 main battery, 2 side light bulbs and 1 rear drop link. Regularly returns 50+ and on a run high 50's in normal biff-about motorway driving.

Without doubt it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned & I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone who doesn't need a tow car/taxi for the local rugby team.

The only thing I would encourage you to do in addition to the regular engine oil & Cambelt/water pump changes is every 40k or so , get the gearbox oil & filter changed. Oh - and feed the leather occasionally!

People will say that I'll miss the power of the D5 etc. but honestly in 99% of normal driving after a day you'll never miss it (apart from the nice noise the 5 pot makes) I've also owned an early 163hp S80 D5 & A V70 D5 on which I racked up 150k miles or so between them, so feel I can make a fair comparison.

Don't fear them. Its been brilliant in my experience & looks like a car with half its mileage. They may be a mongrel but mongrels tend to be loyal & intelligent choices.....

Hope that helps.
Potski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Potski For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2020, 16:56   #10
zuper

got a 13 v70 D2

I LOOOOOOVE it.
cheap to own and good in 95% of the occasions.

might need to sell mine due to ULEX cr@p in case you're interested
(still hoping they scrap that...don't really want to change it ;( )
zuper is offline   Reply With Quote