Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593845

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 21:51   #2361
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja2b View Post
My car is a V40 2015 d4 almost 80k miles..... Few days ago I had random dashboard lights come on. Lost steering, rev dial...basically computer crashed where hazard light would not come on. Couldn't turn the vehicle off. Thankfully there was traffic. Took it to same dealer. Was told common problem on some v40 cars and was unrelated to recalls or the work that was carried out. Apparently some relays or pins needed replacing 8 of them to be precise. Was quoted £200 for the job. So will be booking it in. Wonder what else will go wrong after.
Maybe it'll start needing regular oil top-ups, another VEA diesel 'thing'?
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 15:28   #2362
Styl3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Not sure whether you're referring to EGR valve or EGR cooler replacement, but I've had both replaced! At no time have I noticed the rad fans running abnormally, either before or after replacement. Nor have I ever seen mpg as low as you're reporting on my car. I can only imagine that your EGR valve was sometimes failing to completely close on demand, which would seriously affect running... mine stuck fully open which rendered it absolutely undriveable. The cooler blocking would not affect running, in fact it's a popular tuning mod to (illegally) blank off EGR flow and modify the ECM software to inhibit the subsequent warning messages and alarms.
Yeah sorry it was egr cooler and hoses. As far as MPG goes nearly all of my driving for the last few months have been short 5-10 mile hops in city driving conditions. What are you guys getting in XC60 d4 rdesign 2.0 2015?

Styl3r
Styl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 18:34   #2363
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
ECM update, new inlet manifold as there was a fault code for manifold blockage but I didn't see any lights in dashboard, new inlet valves, exhaust valves cleaned. All free of charge.
Was this a Volvo main dealer ?
I've emboldened something to start alarm bells ringing. The inlet valves normally run cooler (fuel and air going in to the cylinders), why were these replaced but the hot exhaust valves only cleaned ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 10:04   #2364
Raja2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I've emboldened something to start alarm bells ringing. The inlet valves normally run cooler (fuel and air going in to the cylinders), why were these replaced but the hot exhaust valves only cleaned ?
Apologies for the later reply. Yes it was the the main dealers who worked on it. I am still waiting on receipt or something on paper to say what work has officially been done. However the Mechanic(nice guy by the way) told me they replaced inlet valves with new ones and cleaned the exhaust valves. I was told the blockage on the inlet manifold was due to the inlet valve not sealing hence why they changed it. I will post a link to a video i did of my engine bay later. I honestly don't know much about cars at all. If anyone can confirm whether I have the latest egr fix and/or if anything is amiss I would appreciate it. Or at least I hope it helps others.
Raja2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 11:01   #2365
Raja2b

Quote:
Apologies for the later reply. Yes it was the the main dealers who worked on it. I am still waiting on receipt or something on paper to say what work has officially been done. However the Mechanic(nice guy by the way) told me they replaced inlet valves with new ones and cleaned the exhaust valves. I was told the blockage on the inlet manifold was due to the inlet valve not sealing hence why they changed it. I will post a link to a video i did of my engine bay later. I honestly don't know much about cars at all. If anyone can confirm whether I have the latest egr fix and/or if anything is amiss I would appreciate it. Or at least I hope it helps others.
Please see the link below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kgBP9bPUTZpAznwQA

There seems to be a gap on the cover of timing belt, 2 holes on top without anything attached on the first image. Can someone please confirm does that look right?

Secondly since I had the car back I have had random lights coming on at the dashboard, had the whole car computer freeze on me while driving, couldnt move steering, could not turn the engine off, could not even turn the hazard light on.....could this be because they have not replaced the back battery cover as seen on the second image.

Please can someone tell me from my amazing photography skills(not) if I have the the last fix for the egr. any other help or info would be much appreciated.

Finally my car was shining before going in to the workshop of volvo, came back with scratches and not shining like before. Wipes it with dry cloth but not satisfied. What can I use to get it all shiny again, someone told me to use wd40 on a cloth and give it a wipe...thanks is advance.

Most of you guys are awesome here.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 20:17   #2366
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Probably because the inlet valves were fouled and not sealing so letting hot gas in to the plastic inlet manifold?
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 17:41   #2367
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
Probably because the inlet valves were fouled and not sealing so letting hot gas in to the plastic inlet manifold?
And the exhaust valves needed cleaning indicating they weren't perfect. A couple of hours in some main dealer workshops can see you near £400 for labour, the inlet valves have been replaced may as well do the exhaust ones too while you're in there and be done.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 16:42   #2368
Raja2b

I am convinced I have lost torque power since the ECU, Inlet Manifold or even the catalytic converter change. It could be that my EGR valve is not functioning properly. I believe there is a way to check EGR position from VIDA plugged in with a DICE unit. I thought I will start with installing Vida 2014D and looks like my car is in there(Volvo V40 D4). Ordered myself a Dice unit which will be delivered soon. The Vida software is very informative about the car. I know I can take it in to a workshop and get them to check it for me which I will but wanted a way to record everything on my cars current status and compare it to future works should anything change. If anyone has a car 2016 year of manufacture or below and wants me to check if its available on VIDA without having to go through the install process let me know. i am happy to check. Might even put a copy of the virtual machine on Google drive if anyone wants a readily available setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raja2b For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 20:12   #2369
Raja2b

Can someone look at these readings and tell me if I have an EGR issue. Please note this is from a OBD2 reader and may not reflect accurate results. Still waiting on dice.

Last edited by Raja2b; Feb 28th, 2020 at 20:46.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 20:41   #2370
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Can someone look at these readings and tell me if I have an EGR issue. Please note this is from a OBD2 reader and may not reflect accurate results. Still waiting on dice. https://photos.app.goo.gl/9MELQBxKc7F6bi8V9IMG]
"Requested URL (https://photos.app.goo.gl/9MELQBxKc7F6bi8V9IMG]) must be a parseable URI, but possibly incomplete to be a DynamicLink.

If you are the developer of this app, ensure that your Dynamic Links domain is correctly configured and that the path component of this URL is valid."