Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 MY2013 "AWD Disabled Service Required"

Views : 12202

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 17:25   #1
Wytze

Question XC60 MY2013 "AWD Disabled Service Required"

Dear Forum,

During a holiday trip this week the "AWD Disabled Service Required" came up. I have bought this XC60, D5, new from the dealer. It has done 60k kilometers (about 37k5 miles) and was in for regular service the week before the trip.

I would appreciate some information on what might cause this message and what I can expect from the dealer.

Someone told me that it could be as simple as dirty wheel (ABS) sensors, however, reading some post on the message, this cause was not mentioned.
Wytze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 19:19   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

There are a myriad of faults, from a dirty sensor all the way to a knackered Haldex that could cause this - 'this a trip to the dealer to find out which.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 20:11   #3
Wytze

Thanks for the quick reply!
For sure a trip to the dealer, but I would like to be prepared. Stated differently: I appreciate the coffee they will offer me, but would even more like to understand a bit more :-)

E.g what level of detail will Vadis provide? Is this a known-difficult problem or a standard dead-easy? Would it require a longer investigation? Should I initially expect an error-reset and see if the problem returns?

PS: is there a service interval (oil / filter) for the Haldex unit on this MY13 XC60?

Last edited by Wytze; Feb 22nd, 2015 at 21:30. Reason: update
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 22:28   #4
Lonsdale

I've got a 2010 low mileage XC60 D5 AWD and it's prone to displaying various messages like this, the only valid warnings have been for things like bulb failure or washer level low.

Assuming that your car is keyless you might want to try this before emptying you wallet at a Volvo dealership.

Start your car up with the key in your pocket, walk away for 5 mins, the car will display a message that the key has been removed.

Stop the engine and lock the car.

Open and restart the car and in my experience the message centre should report no messages.

Worth a try.

I used to have a company car (not a Volvo) that used to this thing all the time and a mechanic at the dealership did tell me that all they used to do was disconnect the battery, go for a fag, reconnect the battery and all sorted. They put it down to a rouge signal on the (I think multiplex)
Lonsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonsdale For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:30   #5
Crockers
Premier Member

I'm sure your car is still under warranty so a trip to the dealer shouldn't cost you any more than time and fuel.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 17:52   #6
Wytze

Hi Forum,

Short update: today, 8 days and ~900 km's after the message appeared, it disappeared again. I did visit the dealer (the car is 1.5 months out of warranty) who used Dice/Vadis: there was an intermittent DEM-xxxx error (forgot to write down the exact number) indicating that the Haldex AWD pump had operated outside its lower current threshold. The error was cleared. In addition, the unit was recalibrated again which should set the lower/upper current limits for the pump.
So, for now the problem is gone, however, it is not a given that recalibrating is all it takes. For sure it is the logical first step. Fingers crossed.

As per the dealer, there is no need to replace AWD oil or filter ever.

I wonder though what logic the car uses to remove the error message from the display, e.g. did the under current situation happens once and after 8 days / 900 km it decided to remove the message or?
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 11:23   #7
Whyman
Premier Member

I had this, dealer first cleaned out the AWD pump. OK for a while and message reappeared. Pump replaced an all is still OK 9 months later. All under warranty.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 18:14   #8
Wytze

Thanks all for the replies!

Would someone know a practical way to 'provoke' the AWD Haldex pump to be activated?
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 18:38   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

It is activated every time you move off as the car starts in 4wd mode then switches to 2wd. Forcing it into 4wd would mean the car thinking that there is a differential in speed front to back - e.g ice or snow might do it
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 20:29   #10
Wytze

Thanks!
So, each trip triggers the pump to operate at least once? Hence, if the real problem is still present, there is a fair change to see it again! So far so good.

Tags
awd, disabled, service required