Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 tail lights keep blowing

Views : 1517

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 20:37   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Lovely car by the way, Ive not seen one in a good few years, especially not an 827 sterling, memories of Tony pond setting the isle of man average speed record in one back in the 90s.
Thanks, there's very few of them left now.

Tony Ponds car still survives, now with a 2.0 turbo instead of the original 2.7 V6, got some photos somewhere of it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 22:23   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Rough rule of thumb then is if you fit LED indicator bulbs, on a 7/940 fit an electronic flasher relay (7/960 models have the flasher relay built into the hazard warning switch) and others you will probably have to fit the big load resistors or find an electronic flasher relay.
I've fitted an electronic flasher relay to my 827 Sterling (saloon, the coupe was sold a couple of years back) and that has improved matters a lot over the extra load resistors.

If your car has CANBus, you'll need CANBus compatible LED bulbs that usually have some resistor built in to fool the system.
700 and 900 already have the 3 pin flasher relay in the central Fuse / Relay box ... The red hazzard button is simply a multi pole switch .
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 22:42   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
700 and 900 already have the 3 pin flasher relay in the central Fuse / Relay box ... The red hazzard button is simply a multi pole switch .

Where is the flasher relay? That's the central relay board, there are no relays in the fusebox on the end of the dash - as i said, 7/960s have the flasher relay BUILT-IN to the hazard warning switch, it's not simply a multipole switch!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-960...1/264622508724

The simple hazard button built-in to the indicator stalk is just a multipole switch but the hazard warning switch on the 7/960 has a builot in flasher relay - look at the size of it for a start!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 22:51   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2602681]

Where is the flasher relay? That's the central relay board, there are no relays in the fusebox on the end of the dash - as i said, 7/960s have the flasher relay BUILT-IN to the hazard warning switch, it's not simply a multipole switch!

of course , Its the 740 with the conventional flasher relay and red switch on the stalk ... The 900 is completely different as you show ..
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 23:17   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Clan;2602688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

of course , Its the 740 with the conventional flasher relay and red switch on the stalk ... The 900 is completely different as you show ..
That's not a 900 - it's a 760! The 940 had the same set-up as the 740, the 960 had similar to the 760 but on later models a few extra relayboxes and fuse boxes.