Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Cooler and Water Pump Leaks

Views : 956

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 03:44   #1
Metallo

Default Oil Cooler and Water Pump Leaks

Hi All,

940 Turbo 2.0L SW - 1997

while waiting for the new exhaust manifold to come in, I spent some time under my car and noticed two leaks:

1) The first one is where the oil filter is, but I am not sure if this is depending on the hose or the oil cooler. Please see the attached image where I circled in red the oil drop.

2) The water pump is wet, I took two pictures, one from the bottom, the other from above. In the picture I took from the bottom, I circled in red the drop of... well I am not sure which liquid is that.

Since I have already disassembled turbo and exhaust manifold, it should be easier for me to work on both areas.

Any suggestion is very welcome!

Thank you,
Alessandro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220102_120751.jpg (125.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220102_120938.jpg (168.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220102_121046.jpg (190.6 KB, 39 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metallo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 09:17   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The rubber hoses are probably soft and squishy from oil contamination on the oil cooler, I would replace those using genuine Volvo parts as they're made of a special oil resistant rubber. It is probably leaking from the square faced o-ring that sits between the oil cooler and the housing, I still need to change mine, I've got the part sat on the shelf so I can get you the part number later.

The 2nd and 3rd photo are of the power steering pump, if that is wet then chances are it is power steering fluid or oil from another leak that has ran down on to it. You will have to clean it off thoroughly and wait for the oil to come back to see where it is coming from. It can be from the camshaft seal or the rocker cover as it runs down the side of the engine and on to the pump.

The chances are if you haven't replaced all of the gaskets and seals they are all leaking or very close to leaking after 24 years.

Edit - 3547188 is the part number for the oil cooler seal.

Last edited by 360beast; Jan 3rd, 2022 at 09:58.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 09:36   #3
lnparry

Hi Alessandro,

As 360 beast says, clean everything down at the front of the engine to see what is happening. Sometimes the jubilee clips on the power steering hoses just need a slight tighten. Power steering fluid may have a red tinge to it unlike engine oil.

I had the same leak as you from the oil cooler area. My hoses where a little porous and I had the job done at my local garage whilst they were replacing the water pump / timing belt. Used genuine Volvo hoses (not expensive) but they also found that the seal between the oil cooler and the housing was weeping so suggest you replace the whole lot as 360 suggests.

Good luck,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 22:17   #4
Metallo

Hi all,

Thank you very much for you valuable feedback.

I was probably very tired last night when I wrote this message, for whatever reason I wrote water pump rather than steering pump.
(To the Administrator: I cannot edit my post, could you please edit the title to steering pump instead of water pump? This would facilitate the search for anyone in the future)

I will follow your suggestion, the only thing I will likely have to postpone is the oil cooler as I changed the engine oil no more than one month ago and I do not want to waste it, so likely in the summer I will do that.

If I have to remove the oil cooler, is it still feasible from under the car?
I mean, at this moment, I have no turbo and exhaust manifold on my car, so I could easily work from top.

Thank you!
Alessandro
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 22:54   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Drain the oil in to a clean tray and put it back in after, but tbh the oil will be sat in the sump so you will only lose a little bit out of the oil filter. You might as well do it while you have decent access.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 23:08   #6
Metallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Drain the oil in to a clean tray and put it back in after, but tbh the oil will be sat in the sump so you will only lose a little bit out of the oil filter. You might as well do it while you have decent access.
I see your point.
OK, I need first to get the new hoses, seals/gaskets etc. and then go ahead with the process. It should not be too much time consuming, really

Thank you!
Alessandro
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 19:26   #7
Metallo

Quote:
The rubber hoses are probably soft and squishy from oil contamination on the oil cooler, I would replace those using genuine Volvo parts as they're made of a special oil resistant rubber. It is probably leaking from the square faced o-ring that sits between the oil cooler and the housing, I still need to change mine, I've got the part sat on the shelf so I can get you the part number later.

The 2nd and 3rd photo are of the power steering pump, if that is wet then chances are it is power steering fluid or oil from another leak that has ran down on to it. You will have to clean it off thoroughly and wait for the oil to come back to see where it is coming from. It can be from the camshaft seal or the rocker cover as it runs down the side of the engine and on to the pump.

The chances are if you haven't replaced all of the gaskets and seals they are all leaking or very close to leaking after 24 years.

Edit - 3547188 is the part number for the oil cooler seal.
Today, I just got the seal from Volvo, I removed the oil filter and now, before doing any other steps, I would like to know the sequence I have to follow in order to disconnect the adapter from the oil cooler.

Since I have already removed the coolant before removing the turbocharger and the manifold, I do not expect to see a lot of spillage when I disconnect the rubber hoses.

Should I start to drain the remaining coolant through what Volvo calls 'crane', being the drain valve? ( I do not understand why they call it crane, but English is not my mother tongue, so I am sure someone can explain me that part

Unless it is strictly necessary, I would avoid to remove the adapter from the block, there is no leak there, I only would like to replace the seal between the adapter and the oil cooler.

To sum up, here is what I would do:

1) Drain the remaining coolant using the drain valve
2) Remove both rubber hoses
*The longer hose on top, connected to the red pipe, is it also for cooling?
3) Remove the oil cooler from the adapter
* How are they connected together?

Please see attachments to have a better idea on where I am at this point.

Thank you!
Alessandro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220107_151642.jpg (156.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220107_151710.jpg (144.2 KB, 15 views)
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 17:39   #8
Metallo

Quote:
I cleaned everything I am pretty sure the leak comes from the hose, because it is wet.
The clamp seems tight, so I am not sure how the hose could leak, really.

Thoughts?

Alessandro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220129_092324 Circled.jpg (212.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220129_092458 Circled.jpg (208.8 KB, 13 views)
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 18:42   #9
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
Today, I just got the seal from Volvo, I removed the oil filter and now, before doing any other steps, I would like to know the sequence I have to follow in order to disconnect the adapter from the oil cooler.

Since I have already removed the coolant before removing the turbocharger and the manifold, I do not expect to see a lot of spillage when I disconnect the rubber hoses.

Should I start to drain the remaining coolant through what Volvo calls 'crane', being the drain valve? ( I do not understand why they call it crane, but English is not my mother tongue, so I am sure someone can explain me that part

Unless it is strictly necessary, I would avoid to remove the adapter from the block, there is no leak there, I only would like to replace the seal between the adapter and the oil cooler.

To sum up, here is what I would do:

1) Drain the remaining coolant using the drain valve
2) Remove both rubber hoses
*The longer hose on top, connected to the red pipe, is it also for cooling?
3) Remove the oil cooler from the adapter
* How are they connected together?

Please see attachments to have a better idea on where I am at this point.

Thank you!
Alessandro
The thread that you wind the oil filter onto has a flat nut ( 19mm I think ) on it .When you undo that the oil cooler comes away from the adapter. There is also a large o ring where the adapter screws to the block but if it's not leaking there leave it alone

And yes the red pipe carries coolant as well
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 20:05   #10
Metallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The thread that you wind the oil filter onto has a flat nut ( 19mm I think ) on it .When you undo that the oil cooler comes away from the adapter. There is also a large o ring where the adapter screws to the block but if it's not leaking there leave it alone

And yes the red pipe carries coolant as well
I just finished this work, and yes I only replaced the gasket between the adapter and the oil cooler.
I also replaced both hoses.
The flat nut is 17mm.

Now, I need to understand what's going on with the leak at the hose of the power steering pump.
Hopefully somebody will help with this.

Alessandro