Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted.

Views : 1793

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 14:20   #11
tannachyallen
240SE

Default How do they know??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster_man View Post
It's failed [though they didn't remember that the cat wasn't there] because the MOT Rfr's (Reasons for Refusal) on cats changed on 1/1/12 [along with a number of other changes]: all vehicles that had a cat fitted at manufacture now have to have one present...............
Dan did they only know that it was minus a cat because you told them? Or is there some sort of register that they look at? I've now got a large bore SS system, but still minus cat but with a lambda port. I pass the pre 92 emmissions fine, but I'm dammed if I'm going to have to bugger it up by putting a cat back in if I can help it!?

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 20:41   #12
gloster_man
VOC Member

Hi Brian -

Sorry to hear you haven't managed to find one. Thanks for reminding me about putting a lambda in a thread in the downpipe - as yes, the light has been on and it has been has been using a lot of fuel - but I've hardly been using it recently, I'm mainly in the V40.

My regular MOT tester has known about the cat being off but never failed it on emissions, so if I'd told him again maybe he'd have passed it! But a lot of things in the test have been tightened up, so simply the lack of it would perhaps have been a straight fail. I'm going to have to put a replacement cat on and will probably get one I've been watching on ebay: 'Volvo 240 2.0 1989-1993 Cat Converter' at click4carparts. You won't know until the test, but your 740gle may need one too to get through.

Cheers - Dan.
The Following User Says Thank You to gloster_man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 20:55   #13
gloster_man
VOC Member

Dave - have you had a MOT test since 1st Jan.? - yours may fail now under the new rules.

Mine was tested by the same people who've passed it the last 5 years (once or twice with the cat, before I took it off) so I thought they'd remember "no cat" without my mentioning it again - but they didn't and tested it assuming it was there and failed it, partly because it's running rich with no lambda.

You may have the same problem I had when it comes to the cat, as they will see that it's missing when they get it up on the ramp, if they can't be 'flexible' - even if it passes on the emissions.

Good luck with it - Dan C.
The Following User Says Thank You to gloster_man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 23:09   #14
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi all I just reread my old post and it may have a mistake about the J reg "ultimately needing a cat".That bits wrong.
So here is a better discription.
If you have a car fitted with a cat on or after 31-7-1992 you have to have it fitted and it must pass the more stringent emmisions test.That's me saying that before the new mot changes came into affect.

So my H reg 740GLE was first registered 1-8-1990,So no cat needed.

And my J reg 240SE was first registered 17-7-1992,Just scraped through by 14 days,No cat needed.

And my 240SE was first registered 23-4-1993,So has to have a cat and pass the more stringent emmissions test.

Still looking around for a cheap one but I found one before but with postage it was near enough the same price as a new one.
They fetch very good money if taken seperately to a breakers yard so I don't blame anyone for doing so.

It will be interesting to see what my mot guy says about it all as he was the one who told me that if the cat failed on my J reg to throw it away and fit a standard exhaust.That was a few years ago but basically volvo fitted them before legislation so how are the mot stations going to know if your car had one?

So long as it's registered before 31-7-1992 I can't see it being an issue,
gloster man I think your garage failed it on emmisions and thought wrongly that fitting a cat would make it run cleaner?

Well in essence it would but in actual fact it's the refitting of the LAMBDA probe that will make it run correctly.No signal to the onboard computer tells it to run in limp mode.Lots of fuel to keep it going.

As soon as I fitted a probe to my 740 it ticked over slower and cleaner(vibration) and stopped burning gallons of fuel.

Did they do the old basic emmisions test? Or the long winded up and down the revs tickover idle sort of test?.

Regards Brian.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 23:51   #15
LankyTim
Missing the point

I'm going to remove my downpipe with CAT and replace it with a catless example as my 1991 240 doesn't need it for emissions.

I was just going to scrap it at my local metal recyclers but if you want to give me the scrap value you can have it. I just need to weld a lambder boss onto my new exhaust and fit it.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 08:59   #16
tannachyallen
240SE

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
I'm going to remove my downpipe with CAT and replace it with a catless example as my 1991 240 doesn't need it for emissions..............

That's pretty much what I've done Tim, except that I changed my whole system for bigger bore SS system with only a back box. Mine is also a 91 and does not require a cat to pass emissions.
However, if the MOT is now wanting cars that had cat at manifacture to still have one where does that leave us? How does an MOT tester know if a pre 92 car had a cat or not?

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tannachyallen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 11:32   #17
LankyTim
Missing the point

Would they know from the previous MOT? Its all computerised now so they can see what was tested last time. If you get a tester who isn't on a power trip and has a modicum of common sense then i'm sure everyone will be fine.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:11   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

We all know that cats are expensive to keep and use more fuel.

If removing the cat you do need to retain the lambda sensor for fuel control. The engine will run without the lambda connected as it runs on base MAP. If the lambda is just left hanging then the lambda will read lean and cause the ECU to richen the mixture.

With the new MOT regs with cats there are two ways of going about removing the cat on 240

1) Fully remove cat (but keep lambda sensor) and change the engine! Well not quite just the cam belt cover from a B230E will do and the engine codes are on teh cam covers. If the tester checks the engine code it will come up as non cat.

2) For later cars that must have a cat due to age then the only option is to either clear the cat out or to have cat casing welded over a new pipe to keep teh apearance of one. If your 240 runs on LPG then the emissions will not be a problem but petrol only cars could struggle to pass without the cat.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: