Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stereo quality

Views : 1006

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2019, 22:56   #1
Black dog

Default Stereo quality

Ok I know this has probably been asked 100 times or more but here goes.
Just got my mk3 v70 on the road today, and the sound quality is shockingly poor. Nothing like my 2 p2 s60's with the Dolby systems.
My 2004 s60 is no longer required and I'm giving it to a friend to take to their holiday home to be kept there and used for launching fishing boats into the tide!
Is the Dolby speakers the same size or interchangeable with the p3?
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 06:28   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Ok I know this has probably been asked 100 times or more but here goes.
Just got my mk3 v70 on the road today, and the sound quality is shockingly poor. Nothing like my 2 p2 s60's with the Dolby systems.
My 2004 s60 is no longer required and I'm giving it to a friend to take to their holiday home to be kept there and used for launching fishing boats into the tide!
Is the Dolby speakers the same size or interchangeable with the p3?
I doubt it.

As you've discovered, the P3 V70 sound systems were a great step down from the P2 sound systems. For many, including myself, this was a great disappointment.

There are a few threads on this forum about what people have done, including changing amplifiers, installing new speakers and installing Digital Sound Processors (DSP).

As with the P2 S60, V70 and S80, however, the stereo that you get will also normally vary between trim levels.

Do you know which stereo you have in your V70?

It might tell you as it powers up or there might be a label on it somewhere.

Also, the vehicle's trim level might help to work this out.

My 2014 SE Lux has the High Performance version with bass, mid and treble adjustments plus a 5-channel equaliser. I played around with those until I got the best sound that I could.

I think, however, that it's safe to say that calling the system "High Performance" is stretching belief somewhat.

My ambition (when money allows) is to replace the speakers, which should help a bit. I suspect that the current speakers are low quality and low efficiency and that if I invest, say, £300, I should see an improvement in both quality and perceived sound levels.

In the meantime, I remind myself that things could be worse. I could be driving a Skoda or Volkswagen, many of which have horrible sound systems.

Another slight compensation is that the D3 engine in your car is soooo sweet, and it has a very pleasant and unobtrusive soundtrack of its own.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 14:27   #3
Steff79

Hi,

Interesting thread. I've got a 2015 model with the Harman Kardon upgrade. I had this on my previous V60 and really liked it. Had thought it was even better in the V70 but on certain tracks the bass makes the front door speakers rattle which is annoying when it's only mid volume.

The car is still under extended warranty so I might see what they'll do about it.
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 23:26   #4
Black dog

Yes it sais high performance on the screen when turning on the radio. High performance it certainly is not!
I'm aware the speakers are the first thing that needs to go. That's why I thought I'd ask if the p2 speakers would fit as its a free upgrade for me at the moment.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 08:53   #5
HDAV
Master Member

While the s60 is a good car even if it were AWD it’s hardly the ideal launch vehicle........
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 09:06   #6
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
While the s60 is a good car even if it were AWD it’s hardly the ideal launch vehicle........
It is when its free
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 13:28   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

By most vehicles standards, these cars do have a good stereo.

But compared to P2, they are poor. P2 premium stereo was a taste of a luxury lifestyle.

That stereo absolutely dominated the driving experience.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 19:44   #8
seanc

And here was me thinking the stereo in my S80 was the best I've ever had in a car!
Apparently I'm mistaken
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 16:58   #9
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
And here was me thinking the stereo in my S80 was the best I've ever had in a car!
Apparently I'm mistaken
You sure are. I've driven some cars with brilliant sound systems. The bang and Olfsen in Audi being one of the best.
Always concidered my s60's good quality too, expected the v70 would be a lesser quality, but was shocked by just how pitiful it actually is.
It's like something from a skoda octavia ffs!