Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 V70 Brakes? ABS? ???

Views : 3034

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2019, 18:12   #31
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike19691969 View Post
Have you sorted the missing bolt on the wheel sensor? I will be very surprised if this is more complicated than a false reading from a wheel sensor.

You are going the expensive route of throwing parts at the car in the hope that it fixes a problem that you are unsure of the origin.

You really need a read on VIDA, try posting on the " VIDA DICE owners UK" Facebook page, there is bound to be someone near you willing to help.
Thanks for your help.
The module needs replacing as I broke the lid.
Plus the replacement is only 35 quid.
I haven't done the bolt as its snapped inside.
I'm shying away fine that as that's a can of worms!
Although I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
I'll get the replacement module and then start with the sensors.
currymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 18:15   #32
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You have already been advised that it is most likely the driveshaft moving away from the sensor due to not being secured with a bolt .. This is 90% the cause ...

The ABS modules started being coded about 2001 ...
Yes I know, but the module needs replacing as the lid is broken.
I will try and sort the sensors next once I've got the replacement module fitted..

I am very grateful for all of your help. Even if to you ask in doing it the wrong way.
I just don't want to do the sensors now and then fit the new module and not know what it was.
That's why I'm holding back until the new module is in.
Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 22:05   #33
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi all,

How would you overcome the snapped sensor bolt? Would you drill it out? Any tips?

I hate that sort of job. If I had a spare steering knuckle I would be tempted to exchange the whole knuckle, but that's not really a job for a novice (no disrespect).

Any other ideas?

On a 1999 is the left sensor interchangeable with the right? Any mileage in changing them over?

How about wire brushing where the sensor sits so at least it sits well down in its hole, even without a bolt?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 22:45   #34
pff

I snapped the head off the retaining bolt first time i tried to take the sensor out because the knuckle was badly rusted.
I got the rust cleaned off and sensor back working and put replacing the bolt at the bottom of the to do list. I cant remember exactly how long ago that was but its in terms of years.
Never had a problem, sensor is perfectly happy friction fitted without a bolt.
If i was going to do it the knuckle would absolutely be coming off, the access is just too awkward from memory.
pff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pff For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 17:47   #35
currymunster

Default Fixed and solved!

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Really simple really.
Drivers side sensor with the sensors bolt.
Removed it and scraped all the rust off the hub carrier and refitted.
Voila. Fixed.
I assume that because the bolt is snapped the rust was able form and lift the sensor away from the reluctor ring.

As for the snapped bolt, I will start by welding a washer to it then a nut to the washer and then hopefully remove it.
If not I will have to replace the whole carrier.
Not a problem, I've been a land rover Defender and Air cooled beetle enthusiast all my life!
I think I've stripped more cars than women.... Lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to currymunster For This Useful Post: