Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Convertible Top is not working properly

Views : 695

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:23   #1
SwedSteel

Default C70 Convertible Top is not working properly

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a C70 Convertible,
already found one which might could be kind of interesting for me.

It has just one issue, the top is not opening properly, windows going down, Front part is going unlocked and up.

The Trunk for the top is also opening.
Back does start the opening process, the rear window is going up in the right position.
Thats it It stopped, I tried to close it again, no-way. Just after half an hour of trying to close it, tried several times by pushing the button and tried some other moves it got closed like everything was fine.

What could be the issue? And no I there was no opportunity to connect the car to a Volvo Diagnostic device. I wanted to check it again in a few days and finally decide about buying or rejecting.

Thanks for help

Last edited by SwedSteel; Jul 15th, 2019 at 17:37.
SwedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:55   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Without diagnostics it could be anything. Most likely a faulty micro switch somewhere or even a dry hinge or faulty catch.

I suspect from your terminology you are not in the UK and convertibles might not be in good supply where you are. If you are in the UK I would walk away and find one with a working roof - there are plenty on the market. It could be something simple or most likely an expensive head scratching thing to put right.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 18:07   #3
SwedSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Without diagnostics it could be anything. Most likely a faulty micro switch somewhere or even a dry hinge or faulty catch.

I suspect from your terminology you are not in the UK and convertibles might not be in good supply where you are. If you are in the UK I would walk away and find one with a working roof - there are plenty on the market. It could be something simple or most likely an expensive head scratching thing to put right.
Thank you for your reply, I am awaiting my VIDA as the last visit was very spontaneous, the Dealership was already closed.

Is my english so bad? No I am not from the UK, well they might not be in best shape mostly. I also thought about buying one from the UK, we´ll see. My problem with the UK Market - almost 2.0T, I would prefer a 2.4T or T5.
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 18:46   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedSteel View Post
Thank you for your reply, I am awaiting my VIDA as the last visit was very spontaneous, the Dealership was already closed.

Is my english so bad? No I am not from the UK, well they might not be in best shape mostly. I also thought about buying one from the UK, we´ll see. My problem with the UK Market - almost 2.0T, I would prefer a 2.4T or T5.
No, not at all and in fact better than a lot of native English. It was using the term 'trunk' that made me think you are not in the UK.

I agree that most convertibles in the UK do seem to be 2.0lt - it took me a while to find a nice 2.4lt. The roof problems could be an easy fix or expensive, so with a plentiful supply, easier to 'just walk on' and find another. If the German market is such that there are not many about and everything else is good with the car, it would be worth considering - providing the price is right.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 16:20   #5
SwedSteel

Quote:
No, not at all and in fact better than a lot of native English. It was using the term 'trunk' that made me think you are not in the UK.

I agree that most convertibles in the UK do seem to be 2.0lt - it took me a while to find a nice 2.4lt. The roof problems could be an easy fix or expensive, so with a plentiful supply, easier to 'just walk on' and find another. If the German market is such that there are not many about and everything else is good with the car, it would be worth considering - providing the price is right.
Finally I bought a pretty nice Volvo Convertible, with the 2l Engine, with ETM and a gearbox issue. ETM is solved by a contactless sensor, replaced by ourself. And now we will look after the gearbox issue. But the top is working well and the price was quite ok, I think
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 17:22   #6
turboboy
Master Member

Smile

Quote:

SwedSteel, I'm completely with ITSv40 on everything he says. It was your use of "trunk" that also made me think that English was not your first language, but all you said was clear and understandable.

I have a BMW convertible and before I bought that my priority was one with a correctly working roof. My thinking being that other problems are common to the whole model range and are generally well researched with parts and solutions being readily available, but very little information on convertible roof problems. This seems common throughout the car market. For example there is no information in Haynes Manuals on convertible versions and very sketchy information on the internet.

Glad to hear that you have found one and i hope that your gearbox problem is a small one.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 17:54   #7
SwedSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
SwedSteel, I'm completely with ITSv40 on everything he says. It was your use of "trunk" that also made me think that English was not your first language, but all you said was clear and understandable.

I have a BMW convertible and before I bought that my priority was one with a correctly working roof. My thinking being that other problems are common to the whole model range and are generally well researched with parts and solutions being readily available, but very little information on convertible roof problems. This seems common throughout the car market. For example there is no information in Haynes Manuals on convertible versions and very sketchy information on the internet.

Glad to hear that you have found one and i hope that your gearbox problem is a small one.
Thank you very much.
Well, I think that it is a small one, otherwise I hadn´t bought it. But we will see. May be we will start working on the gearbox checklist next week. I will also start a thread in the Showroom with pictures and give some more information about the car and the problems/issues and how to fix them time by time. It´s kind of a hobby project.

Last edited by SwedSteel; Aug 9th, 2019 at 17:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwedSteel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 18:12   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Good to hear that you have found a nice car. Will be interesting to see the showroom thread and as ever there is always plenty of help on here with any niggling problems.
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 09:54   #9
SwedSteel

Quote:
Good to hear that you have found a nice car. Will be interesting to see the showroom thread and as ever there is always plenty of help on here with any niggling problems.
Thank you very much, we will see how much work we will need to invest to restore a good condition. Hopefully less than I expected
The Following User Says Thank You to SwedSteel For This Useful Post: