Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 is rolling forward in reverse

Views : 1576

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2010, 19:34   #1
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Default XC90 is rolling forward in reverse

My wife found that the car rolls forward on an incline in reverse today. I am pretty sure it used to hold before or am I mistaken? The incline is about 1in 7. Does this mean that my auto gearbox is fooked? Any suggestions of what it could be or whether it's going to be expensive? The car is a week out of warranty with full VSH.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 20:17   #2
pdrvolvo
Master Member

i think that they can move forward if R is selected.what makes me think this is that many years back i remember towing a 244 for a short distance and the guy in the 244 had selected R instead of N by mistake but the car still rolled along no prob.although it is not recommended to tow an auto very far unless the prop shaft is disconnected.it had no adverse effect on the car at all.

peter.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 20:20   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
My wife found that the car rolls forward on an incline in reverse today. I am pretty sure it used to hold before or am I mistaken? The incline is about 1in 7. Does this mean that my auto gearbox is fooked? Any suggestions of what it could be or whether it's going to be expensive? The car is a week out of warranty with full VSH.
The drag of the torque converter will drive the car along at walking pace on the flat , it will hold steady on a slight slope but if the weight of the car down the slope pulls more than the torque converter drag it will indeed roll backwards . best to use the parking brake on a slope ...
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 20:23   #4
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The drag of the torque converter will drive the car along at walking pace on the flat , it will hold steady on a slight slope but if the weight of the car down the slope pulls more than the torque converter drag it will indeed roll backwards . best to use the parking brake on a slope ...
Thanks Clan but you have it read it wrong- the car's nose is pointing down the slope, reverse is engaged and the car still rolls forward before the accelerator is pressed. Could have sworn it held position before and didn't roll forward.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 20:33   #5
chrisnjulie
Volvo & Victory owner

That's normal on a slope like that bob, mine does it too. You can get it to hold by putting a few revs on, or use the hand (foot?) brake
Past - 480 1.7, V40 1.8
chrisnjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 20:37   #6
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnjulie View Post
That's normal on a slope like that bob, mine does it too. You can get it to hold by putting a few revs on, or use the hand (foot?) brake
Ok, Thanks all.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 21:36   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Thanks Clan but you have it read it wrong- the car's nose is pointing down the slope, reverse is engaged and the car still rolls forward before the accelerator is pressed. Could have sworn it held position before and didn't roll forward.
i see now but the same principle applies you dont have a problem :-)