Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Spec

Views : 1390

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 23:13   #1
jepsonclough

Default XC90 Spec

Hi
We are looking to buy a second hand petrol xc90 T6 (which we will convert to lpg). We have seen one at a small local independent dealer with low mileage. It's a bit more than we want to pay but we went for a test drive and it's just what we want. When we did the test drive we noticed (as the dash is almost identical to our V70) that there was no button for heated seats. We asked the salesman who didn't seem to know much (his partner was the one who knew the car but wasn't in) and he went away and checked and said it did have heated seats but there was no button for them.

We were surprised (as in other respects it was high spec) and are wondering whether it is an overseas spec (from a warm country) - does anyone have any knowledge of lack of heated seats.

We could live without the heated seats but if it is an overseas spec we'd like to know as we think it is a bit pricey for a grey import. Any thoughts?
jepsonclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:32   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Firstly i would not get a T6 its not a nice engine and extremely thirsty LPG or no LPG and the GM gearbox can be suspect .. Try a D5 you will be more than happy ..
And you dont have heated seats if there is no switch , they are no longer standard like they used to be from 1974 to about 1999 when volvo started deleting them , much like headlamp wipers .. They then charged extra for the "winter pack" to cut costs .
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 14:07   #3
jepsonclough

Default Thanks for the info

Ok so it's not necessarily a grey import if it doesn't have the heated seats.

I don't want a diesel as I want to convert to LPG which is more environmentally friendly and works out much cheaper (esp as we drive to Italy a lot where LPG is VERY cheap) less than half the price of diesel so even if the economy isn't as good it works for us.
Chris
jepsonclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 15:37   #4
pdrvolvo
Master Member

i agree with you.go for the t6 its far more powerful than the d5 and probably a lot quieter and more refined..none of the 4x4,s are cheap to run but if it suits your purpose then you put up with it.

peter.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:14   #5
envoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
[...]GM gearbox can be suspect ..
Is the european version equiped with thw same GM transmission as the US one??

Kind regards
env
envoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 09:48   #6
jtaw45

With my experience of LPG (1999 2.9 S80) i reckon you'll be looking at around 15mpg with an xc90 T6, my S80 does about 24mpg on petrol and about 19mpg on LPG.I paid £1950 for the conversion and have done about 40k miles with it. Whilst it has paid for itself probably twice over i wouldn't pay to get another one converted,diesel engines and fuel economy have progressed massively in the time i've run the S80 and i just couldn't justify the outlay again. My xc90 D5 costs about the same to run as my S80 without the hassle of finding LPG stations and without shelling out nearly two grand and losing valuable boot space with the tank. Don't get me wrong,i'm not an LPG knocker i'm just giving you my opinion based on my own experiences. I would also heed Clans advice as well regarding the engine and gearbox combo in the T6, he knows what he's talking about.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 13:30   #7
Kapouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by envoy View Post
Is the european version equiped with thw same GM transmission as the US one??

Kind regards
env
Yes, they are also with GM boxes.
I've done a fair amount of research on that subject, as I also, wanted to LPG convert a T6.

The prospect of having to face a 5 grand repair at any moment certainly put me off.

Just beware of the T6, I have yet to find a report of anyone having driven one beyond 110K miles without a total transmission failure (most happen before 80K from what I read)
Kapouille is offline   Reply With Quote