Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

space saver wheel

Views : 2772

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 18:17   #1
Paulhoney

Default space saver wheel

Hi, i am probably being ignorant but i want to get a space saver wheel for my xc90 and wondered if any 18" 5 stud space saver wheel would do the job
any help on my query would be greatly appreciated as unsure of particular spec which is required
many thanks
Paulhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 19:08   #2
Miti

Funny old world, isn't it..? Our 53 SE (MY04) came with a space-saver and one of the first things I did when we bought the car was seek out another 18" Atlantis alloy to use as a "proper" spare... The space-saver wheel seriously degrades the cars manouvrebility and handling and even when driven within the "safe" 30mph speed limit, confidence in the car's roadholding is minimal...

My 2p worth..? Just don't do it...

Miti
Miti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 19:13   #3
XCF
Master Member

Did it fit ? - I looked into getting a 17inch wheel and by my measurements that wouldn't fit...
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 19:33   #4
Miti

No, it doesn't fit under the car... I keep it in the garage and use it when needed. The space-saver acts as the "limp-home" spare. About 75% of the car's mileage is local so that suits us. When I take the car on longer trips (trailer, camping gear, etc) I'm normally alone, so it's easy to lump the real spare into the boot with the rest of my gear... Having a proper spare comes in damn handy at times though... Like last wekend for example...

Rock in road... oncoming car... wife tried to "straddle" the rock and clipped the inside rim of the NSF wheel... " That'll be £600 please, Sir..."

Miti
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 19:45   #5
XCF
Master Member

ouch !

It's one of the biggest mistakes on this car in my view. I think there is space under the car if Volvo wanted to find room for a normal size wheel. Certainly going to be interesting if you ever get a puncture when loaded up on holiday ..where are you going to put the punctured wheel - on the passengers laps I guess.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCF For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 21:15   #6
Miti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
ouch !

It's one of the biggest mistakes on this car in my view. I think there is space under the car if Volvo wanted to find room for a normal size wheel. Certainly going to be interesting if you ever get a puncture when loaded up on holiday ..where are you going to put the punctured wheel - on the passengers laps I guess.
I figure that I'll only need to sell one child to cover the cost of the repairs... That spare seat will come in handy too...

Miti

Tags
space saver wheels