Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s60 d5 2006 towbar electrics

Views : 1399

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 23:18   #1
cbr1100xx
cbr1100xx jockey

Smile s60 d5 2006 towbar electrics

Hi all,
have just bought my first volvo d5 s60 and must say i am most impressed with it so far. question is i need to fit towbar + elec to the car.
towbar looks easy enough to do but don't know best route to take with the electric.
i know there is a plug in the boot, is this the best option( seems expensive for the plug in loom) or wiring into the existing cables?

any help on this would be appreciated
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:13   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Hi all,
have just bought my first volvo d5 s60 and must say i am most impressed with it so far. question is i need to fit towbar + elec to the car.
towbar looks easy enough to do but don't know best route to take with the electric.
i know there is a plug in the boot, is this the best option( seems expensive for the plug in loom) or wiring into the existing cables?

any help on this would be appreciated
have a look here about electrics.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52.
unless you or the chap that is going to do the electrics via splicing into the cars loom knows what they are doing good luck and hope that you do not have any issues, although the wiring kit is a tad expensive try frf in the traders section it will be cheaper and a lot easier with the pulg and play as these cars have canbus and do not like being spliced into the wiring.
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Mar 31st, 2011 at 10:15.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 22:50   #3
Cozza
Cozza

I totally agree with the last post. It's a quality piece of kit you get from for your money and it's incredibly simple to fit. I believe that it also means that the car recognises you are towing and changes the traction control and abs settings accordingly. How clever is that?
Although it's a bit more expensive, it's a one-off payment and definitely worth the money.
Cozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cozza For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 00:08   #4
cbr1100xx
cbr1100xx jockey

Thumbs up

Okay i think the loom seems the proper way to go.

thanks for the info guys!
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 08:50   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Okay i think the loom seems the proper way to go.

thanks for the info guys!
if you go the plug and play have a look at this thread.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119753.
when you have it fitted check pins 9 and 10.pin 9 perminant live and pin 10 should be live with ignition on.check them at the cars 13 pin when you have it done.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:47   #6
d_aero

Smile

Hi,

I fitted a Witter Fixed towbar - no cut out required, plus I wanted a protecter plate behind the ball - and the Volvo proper wiring.

Was 2 years ago but seem to remember the wiring kit was in 2 parts but it all plugged together beautifully. Got the 13 pin (even though van is twin) as it looks much neater. The cable with the 13 pin socket uses an existing hole in the boot and even has a replacement grommet attached to it in the right place. IMHO worth the extra money.

The whole thing was very easy to fit and I am normally too nervous to touch it myself! Just needed to borrow a torque wrench off a mate.

Hope this helps.
d_aero is offline   Reply With Quote