Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

location for filling point

Views : 1395

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 13:28   #1
spannermedonky
weekend spanner spinner

Default location for filling point

Hey peoples,

I have been enjoying the benifits of having my XC70 converted to lpg now for almost a year.

The only fly in the ointment is having to reverse in and out of every filling station as the only vacent or working pump is invariably on the passenger side of the car.

I am looking at fitting a second filling point on that side, however the rear fuse box / satnav disc reader are all on that side.

Has anyone fitted a filling point on that side? I might think about fitting one to the towbar assembly but this would be quite close to the ground and would maybe need to be offset to alow for the hose to clear the ground, might provide a bit too much confusion for that early morning fill up

Any ideas greatly apreciated.
spannermedonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 13:35   #2
gdphillips
ba baracus...

i had mine attached to the tow bar......just have to pull past the pump....and easy if the tanks in the boot

just at the bottom of the pic sorry the pics not that good....

Last edited by gdphillips; Jan 17th, 2011 at 13:39.
gdphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 14:32   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

I think it's Sod's or Murphy's Law that says wherever you have your filler, the available pump will always be on the other side!

Mine is in the bodywork next to the petrol filler, and yup, especially when I'm in a bit of a hurry, you can bet that the driver blocking the only LPG pump on the forecourt will be in ordering a coffee to go, and having a pee, and chatting up the cashier - and in no hurry to depart!

As you're in Rotherham I wouldn't mind betting you've got that Morrisons at J1 of the M18 in mind!

If and when I do another LPG conversion I'd ask for the filler to be mounted on the towbar - and if the car doesn't have a towbar then I wouldn't buy the car!!!!!!!!!

The only problem with that is that it'd be low down and always covered in sh@x!

Two fillers would be good, but I wonder if it might be a bit of an expensive fix? Presumably you'd need extra pipework and the fillerpoint of course, plus some sort of safety valve arrangement.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 15:08   #4
Pandamedic
Master Member

had mine fitted to the rear too but here

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 15:38   #5
spannermedonky
weekend spanner spinner

I was indeed in that very Morrisons yesterday morning, and yes had to reverse in as there was several cars waiting at the required pump, i bet not one of them wanted gas!

I use a garrage oposite meadowhall in sheffield usualy, the pump that is on the drivers side has been broken for several weeks so at the moment everyone seems to be doing the reversing in thing, on my last visit I thougt I would be cleaver and enter from the wrong direction....just as some fool entered from the correct direction....

I think the towbar idea is looking the best route. The company who installed the system say they can fit a second fill point for about £125, the fillers are aparently teed together. I'm hoping if I fit the point then leave the firm to connect up i might save a bit on the instalation cost.
spannermedonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 10:32   #6
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannermedonky View Post
Hey peoples,

I have been enjoying the benifits of having my XC70 converted to lpg now for almost a year.

The only fly in the ointment is having to reverse in and out of every filling station as the only vacent or working pump is invariably on the passenger side of the car.

I am looking at fitting a second filling point on that side, however the rear fuse box / satnav disc reader are all on that side.

Has anyone fitted a filling point on that side? I might think about fitting one to the towbar assembly but this would be quite close to the ground and would maybe need to be offset to alow for the hose to clear the ground, might provide a bit too much confusion for that early morning fill up

Any ideas greatly apreciated.
Both my 164E and 740GLE have fillers by the tow bars , easy filling .
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 08:50   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Mine is low down on the bumper skirt near the right-hand wheel-arch (240).
I never have a difficulty with the hose reaching whichever side I park. Stand on it to stop it retracting.
I can't understand people who have to stop on the "correct" side of the pumps - just pull the hose out .
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 09:41   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If the hoses are not fitted with the silly tensioned cord you can. Best to carry a pair of side cutters with you solve that problem
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:40   #9
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannermedonky View Post
I was indeed in that very Morrisons yesterday morning, and yes had to reverse in as there was several cars waiting at the required pump, i bet not one of them wanted gas!

I use a garrage oposite meadowhall in sheffield usualy, the pump that is on the drivers side has been broken for several weeks so at the moment everyone seems to be doing the reversing in thing, on my last visit I thougt I would be cleaver and enter from the wrong direction....just as some fool entered from the correct direction....

I think the towbar idea is looking the best route. The company who installed the system say they can fit a second fill point for about £125, the fillers are aparently teed together. I'm hoping if I fit the point then leave the firm to connect up i might save a bit on the instalation cost.
Revenge is best served up...slowly... As you lean against the filler button watching the world go by, and a queue of petrol hungry motorists are waiting. And waiting.
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 18:51   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Wink Cut that cord!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
If the hoses are not fitted with the silly tensioned cord you can. Best to carry a pair of side cutters with you solve that problem
Hey now there's a good idea! If I give this a try Dai, please can I blame you when I'm hauled up in court?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote