Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2006 V70 T5 LPG Conversion

Views : 8796

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2011, 23:44   #1
Twelveone

Default 2006 V70 T5 LPG Conversion

Hi All,

I've been looking through the forum to find as much information as I can about converting a V70 T5 to LPG and have some questions

I have been looking at a 2006 V70 T5 thought to have been chipped to 300bhp which I am thinking of buying, but would only be able to aford it if I can convert to LPG. I do 66 miles a day commuting and a total close to 20,000 a year.

Are the valve seats hard enough to sustain the temperatures of running lpg, for the mileage I do, without any regression?

Would people recommend flashlube be added to the installation?

What would be a suitable system for a T5 with around 300bhp?

Can anyone recommend an installer in Scotland?

Thanks in anticipation of the help

Stewart
Twelveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 12:17   #2
adamr8965
Master Member

Hello Stewart,

I can't recommend any installers in Scotland, but there is a guy from wales who advertisers in this section a fair bit.

I think the multi-injection prins systems is were you need to be, also there's auto lub system you can buy for the seals, someone i know has it on their Xc90 V8.

You need to be keeping the car for a long time to get back installation costs, higher servicing costs and less mpg. Budget around 23mpg if your commuting 66 miles a day on lpg. You'll eat spark plugs at around 10,000 miles a set. ( I did on my vectra lpg)

Choose the installer wisely because if you have any problems it could become a nightmare very quickly.

The T5's Ecu change with the type of fuel you use, so i might be wrong but it may downgrade the amount of power given with lpg. Mine does when I use normal shell fuel, but with V-power it's a different story.

Final point is:- Don't buy a T5 if you can't afford the running costs of petrol. If you want a car of that size buy a D5 165bhp of 185bhp, just as good car with much higher mpg and better resale value.

Hope the information is helpful.

Last edited by adamr8965; Dec 27th, 2011 at 12:20.
adamr8965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 21:20   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

At 2006 you are in the age that could possibly have valve problems. So far I've not had any problems with VSR in these engines but there are a couple things you can do to reduce the risk.
1) fit a electronic valve saver kit. This basicaly adds some special oil into teh air intake that protects the valves and valve seats.
2) set the LPG system dribble a small amount of petrol in while running on gas
3) Change the tappets back to the older type
4) just run on LPG and hope for the best. Worst case the head is coming off and bit of work will be needed.

Temprature is not the problem its lubrication

Most systems are ok if correctly matched to the car. The main thing is the installer. There are a few systems/parts to stay clear of such as Valtek injectors, Tommasetto vapourisers, BRC multivalves and anything from Turkey. On the other hand Valtek make the best solenoid valves and Tommasetto very good multivalves.

The adaptation with the T5 ECU is related to the fuel octane rating. Normal unleades is 95 super 97 and LPG 115ron. The ignition map is set for the higher octane super unleaded and knocks back when running std. With LPG having such a high rating it will run at its best.

Spark plugs do need changing as a regular service item but at around £10 a set no big expense there. The plugs need changing for basic copper single electrode plugs.

I do also have a service centre in Scotland for service/repair work for any Future servicing after conversion.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 18:04   #4
M D E
Master Member

Turbo cars are no problem for LPG conversions, as long as you fit the correct system.

I agree with classicswede in that 2006 models you need to check the valves are hard enough, the engine spec on the 70 range changed over the years making some not suitable for LPG.

I have covered near 20,000 mile on my C70 2001 T5, after years of research I got my BRC multi point with (larger 'orange' lpg injectors to take the extra demand from the turbo, which it can take 300BHP now). Conversion is now around £1500 from Greenfuel but speaking from experience you need to ensure the system is correctly fitted.

My 960 LPG system worked (on and off) for nearly 10,000 miles then blew up taking out most of the engine bay ! I was luckly I wasn't hurt, but it proved if the system does not suit, or cut corners it can go very, very wrong.

My BRC system is faultless, it paid itself back in 10 months and have had no problems, no performance loss. 220 miles is around £30.

I service it every year for £130 and every 2000 miles is around £8 in valve saver fluid.
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 00:12   #5
ambit

Hi try Andrew from Profess Autogas in South Wales just Google them. He has coverted several cars over the years for me and others includinging a V8 Cayenne most recently. He will do a complete install in a day. Fits a good quality mainstream system. for around £1200 all in.
ambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 15:36   #6
LPG-T5

I used http://www.gaspoweruk.co.uk for mine. Good guys, good rep, excellent pre and post sales care! They're based in Exeter and loaned me a LPG courtesy car for the 3 days of the conversion.

Here's some thoughts on my experience and end results:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...07&postcount=9

Last edited by LPG-T5; Jul 14th, 2012 at 15:44.
LPG-T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 10:26   #7
Jameshow

Hi
I have BRC on my T5 no problems, don't notice switch over and no power loss.

£1500 from canvendish motors - halifax.

yours James
Jameshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 11:16   #8
jayhl7

Cool lpg T5

Hi I had an LPG kit fitted at Profess autogas in south wales had an 84 Litre tank in the spare wheel well and travel 320-360 miles on a tank of gas my 2004 T5 was ex-police and had done 165,000 at the time of convertion now at 200,000, some 35,000 on the car has developed a missfire when the revs are steady, I cant notice when accelerating only cruising!!!! the car also has a throtle position sensor fault, hunting at idle! The Wife hates the Gaytronic gearbox and I have been Told to change the car! Now have a D5 with manual box Wow what a car! close to 45-50 Mpg on average and I dont have to plan my stops around Lpg stations!!!! I had been on Diesel for 10 years before my MLC took me to a T5 with LPG, I wont give up my D5 now!!!! Jay
jayhl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 17:22   #9
LPG-T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhl7 View Post
...and I dont have to plan my stops around Lpg stations!!!!...
Crikey! How you must've had your D5 for ages? I have an app for my smart phone and an account with Nationwide Farmers (don't laugh, they have loads of LPG outlets, account facilities, 24 hour access and LPG at 68.4p /L almost everywhere I've been). No planning and I don't think I'm ever more that 20 miles from an LPG fill up...

I've done the opposite to you... diesel doesn't stack up for me any more at 10-15% more than LPG on a V70 (although if I were to go back to diesel it would definitely be a D5 - V70s are awesome).
LPG-T5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, lpg, v70, v70 t5