Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Burning oil and DPF filter clogging.

Views : 8847

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2014, 20:47   #1
jezthebear

Default Burning oil and DPF filter clogging.

I have 2008 V70 D5 90,000 miles. Approximately 8 months ago. Noted increase in fuel and oil consumption. DPF regen light started to come on. Took it to garage and they replaced swirl flaps. Since then DPF light came on saying Soot filt full and limp home mode. Garage forced regen and replaced a sensor on DPF. Since then oil consumption has increased and I have now noticed engine is burning oil. Can only see blue smoke in large bursts normally when accelerating having slowed down for a hazard then accelerating away. Soot filter light only comes on after long journeys usually followed by limp home mode but often resets itself once car has been stood overnight. Garage now unsure if its an engine fault or turbo fault. Has anybody had any similar experiences or can help. Everbody says these faults are uncommon with this engine.

Last edited by jezthebear; Apr 1st, 2014 at 20:50.
jezthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 21:51   #2
JMI

Forgot about these guys in the garage you were visiting. Take it to first Volvo authorised dealer and let them plug it in their computers to see what's wrong! All these replacements must have been unnecessary expense!

Good luck,

Yodan
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 23:00   #3
jezthebear

Thanks Yodan but I cannot trust dealers. Last time a took to the main dealer they told me my brakes were faulty. They wanted a thousand pound to fix them then said there was nothing wrong when they realised car was under warranty. They then argued amonst themselves over it. Finally replaced the part. They then damaged my car and tried to cover it up.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 00:53   #4
FoobiesDad

Hi mate, have you tried Clive Brooks in Bradford? My personal experience is they're a dam sight better than your local dealer. Don't write off all main dealers because of 1 bad experience. Just for record I have a 2005 V70 2.4 d with 104000 miles and haven't had the same problem. Good luck with sorting it out. Dave
FoobiesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 09:29   #5
JMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezthebear View Post
Thanks Yodan but I cannot trust dealers. Last time a took to the main dealer they told me my brakes were faulty. They wanted a thousand pound to fix them then said there was nothing wrong when they realised car was under warranty. They then argued amonst themselves over it. Finally replaced the part. They then damaged my car and tried to cover it up.
If you were closer to where i am, I could have shown you the garage where i trust the guys and they are the only people touching my car. They'll sort out the problem for sure, but you a quite a distance from me!
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 12:24   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
Forgot about these guys in the garage you were visiting. Take it to first Volvo authorised dealer and let them plug it in their computers to see what's wrong! All these replacements must have been unnecessary expense!

Good luck,

Yodan
I agree, as smoke can be confusing in terms of the actual cause or causes.

Wild guess, but it does sound like the turbo might be leaking oil into the exhaust. That will block the CAT and DPF in the long term. If you are not using a low Zinc (C2 or 3) engine oil it will block the DPF fairly quickly and if a regen or two fails, then it's new DPF time. A Regen can't clean out oil ash, as it does not burn.

The other possible cause might be gummed up injectors causing diesel contamination of the engine oil (A blocked DPF will also do that) and Carbon in the DPF. High cylinder head temps from a dodgy thermostat, water pump or oil sludge blocking the oil pump intake will also cause white or grey smoke.

If you have been doing more than 10K mile plus OCI's, it might even be oil getting past the rings. How much oil is it burning?

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 2nd, 2014 at 12:31.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 20:04   #7
TiredGeek
Master Member

You could try taking it to P&R on Kirkstall road, not the cheapest indie going but pretty good and they have all the gear to read the codes.
If you prefer a full stealer then Clive Brooks on canal road in Bradford is one of the better ones around here. Also cheap for spares if you go via their ebay shop.

The stealer who tried to screw you and then argued amongst themselves - Harratts Leeds by any chance They're the biggest set of t*@^$s I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.
The Wakefield branch has a better manager but I'd only use Harratts again as a last last last last last last resort! Actually I'd scrap the car before I went back to them!

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 20:30   #8
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

might be a bit of a trek for you but mill Volvo Knaresborough are also very good more than helpful in my experience with them

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 22:47   #9
jezthebear

Just towed my Caravan for about 60 miles travelled round for another 80 miles or so on a run and it used a litre.
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 22:51   #10
jezthebear

Spot on Harratts in Leeds. To be honest Wakefield werent much better. Asked them to diagnose a noise fault with previous car. Said it was alternator wanted hundreds of pounds to replace it. Took it back to Garage where i bought it not Volvo Garage and they said it was a drive belt bearing. which cost under £100.