Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PDF delete questions.

Views : 1157

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2014, 19:07   #1
2wheels
v50 sport r design

Default PDF delete questions.

Not too concerned with mot as I have a decent mot dude but strictly speaking is it a fail? Also will it make the car any louder? Any other cons apart from a tad extra smoke out the back?

Share your experiences please. Our car will be doing mostly short trips with the odd really long trip say every 8 weeks. Should I consider a PDF delete?
2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 19:08   #2
2wheels
v50 sport r design

d p f, bloody autocorrect!
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 20:26   #3
John_C
Allons-y!

Diesel particulates are carcinogenic, that's the biggest downside. Doesn't seem sensible to me to remove the device designed to keep them out of the atmosphere.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 22:30   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels View Post
Not too concerned with mot as I have a decent mot dude but strictly speaking is it a fail?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...iculate-filter

"This change to the MOT tests makes it clear – if you have this filter removed from your car it will fail the test."

In the broadest definition of pass or fail, it's pretty firmly in the latter category.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 10:33   #5
John_C
Allons-y!

Technically yes, but the problem they have is detecting whether it's there or not.

If the DPF has been gutted but the housing has been left in the exhaust pipe and the ECU has been changed so that it doesn't flag a fault due to the DPF removal an MoT tester has no way to check it. It's a visual check only.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 11:24   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Can it be removed and still pass an MOT? Yes if it's done in the right way. Though depending on how MOT test for it is the key here. It might start with a visual check but they could change the method of testing in the future!

Should you do it? Well it's highly irresponsbile to remove something that is designed to remove harmful emissions and give yourself and others cleaner air to breath.

Do you need to do it? Well if your having DPF problems and there being caused by the type and amount of driving you do, then you could be one of the many people who mistakenly buy a diesel thinking it will be cheaper to run, when in fact they would be better off with a petrol car.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 18:46   #7
2wheels
v50 sport r design

yep im one of those people. i do verl lomg trips every 6-8 weeks other than thats its bitting and bobbing.
Old Apr 12th, 2014, 19:58   #8
TiredGeek
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels View Post
yep im one of those people. i do verl lomg trips every 6-8 weeks other than thats its bitting and bobbing.
But are you getting "soot filter full" messages?
Mine does roughly 10 miles a day taking wifey to work and back, she does that for 6 weeks or so before we go for a 1000 mile run. Only ever seen the message once and a twenty min drive at 60 on the motorway cleared that...

If you're not getting messages then leave it alone

If you are getting messages you could always try is a bit of low ash two stroke oil in your fuel, about 300ml per full tank. From what I've read on other forums (and we all know how reliable that can be) it raises combustion temperatures and thus lowers the amount of soot created in the first place.
It has to be low ash though otherwise you're just replacing diesel soot with two stroke soot....
Just don't blame me if your engine blows up I do know a few people who regularly use TS in the fuel with no adverse effects and they swear they feel the car runs better and has more power. Personally I just use Shell fuel whenever possible.

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 22:15   #9
2wheels
v50 sport r design

That sounds crazy. I run a 2 stroke bike on the road but have to admit I will not be trying that! Lol. Although I have run a capful of 2t oil in 4stroke bikes before to cushion the valves a little but even then it fouled plugs. I haven't even picked the car up yet. If I get any messages I will look into it more. Thanks for your replies