Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does anyone have ever disassembled the LPG distributor?

Views : 11467

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2016, 23:52   #11
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

That random cutting out sounds like the usual stepper motor issues, or as Classic says a solenoid. It sounds like an electrical issue. My money is on the stepper, motor particulary if the distributor has not been cleaned out. LPG is dirty compared to CNG.

Read my numerous post on how to clean. In short soak it with injector cleaner or if you're keen, do a complete strip down. This won't do any harm, but if this still happens, particularly once the engine compartment is warm, I reckon you need a new stepper. I know P2 models do have issues with tank valves on the CNG models. I have less experience with LPG, but the system si basically the same.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 26th, 2016 at 23:55.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 16:26   #12
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Any sign of problems with that one?
Hello classicswede,
it seems working well, nice click-clack and no splits in the plastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
That random cutting out sounds like the usual stepper motor issues, or as Classic says a solenoid. It sounds like an electrical issue. My money is on the stepper, motor particulary if the distributor has not been cleaned out. LPG is dirty compared to CNG.

Read my numerous post on how to clean. In short soak it with injector cleaner or if you're keen, do a complete strip down. This won't do any harm, but if this still happens, particularly once the engine compartment is warm, I reckon you need a new stepper. I know P2 models do have issues with tank valves on the CNG models. I have less experience with LPG, but the system si basically the same.
Hello CNGBF,
I would try to disassemble the distributor but how can it be done? Where is located it's already impossible to touch it!!! Should I remove the engine radiator and air conditioning cooler before approaching it?
A question: I use that car only to go to job and come back home; it's incredible but the engine (in LPG mode) stops at almost the same points every day (I'm not joking): the 14th (+ or - 1) traffic light, the 2nd round about after a track on freeway, at the end of an "S" curve in a minor road before my job, at the main gate of the job and, finally, on a right curve before parking lot.
The "way points" going back home are different but they are "fixed" and the same every day.
UFOs, magnetic field or candid camera??
It's amazing, I would put it on youtube....

I used a cleaner for LPG systems, but the improvement was negligible.

Tank and valves are both brand new....

volvotwofortyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 17:28   #13
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

You don't say what car you own, but if it's hard to get to I will assume a 2001+ v70. I've never worked on one, my 1999 distributor is easy to get to, I think yours is under the intake manifold.

Here are pics showing mine. Only removela of stepper sorry. I have the earlier type regulator. If you can remove the stepper and shoot Injector cleaner into the barrel of the distributor this will help, but...

Cleaning will not harm things, but it sounds to me like you have a faulty stepper, but my guess is Alien Abduction

Bulkhead mounted by top engine mount, mine is very easy to work on. Pour injector cleaner down distributor and leave for 4-5 hours or longer.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 30th, 2016 at 17:57.
Old Jul 1st, 2016, 08:26   #14
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

2 x 3mm Allen/Hex key and lift it out. There's a spring and a spring washer in there. Don't let it fly on you.
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 09:06   #15
volvotwofortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
You don't say what car you own, but if it's hard to get to I will assume a 2001+ v70. I've never worked on one, my 1999 distributor is easy to get to, I think yours is under the intake manifold.

Here are pics showing mine. Only removela of stepper sorry. I have the earlier type regulator. If you can remove the stepper and shoot Injector cleaner into the barrel of the distributor this will help, but...

Cleaning will not harm things, but it sounds to me like you have a faulty stepper, but my guess is Alien Abduction

Bulkhead mounted by top engine mount, mine is very easy to work on. Pour injector cleaner down distributor and leave for 4-5 hours or longer.
Hello,
exactly: my car is a 2003 V70 Mk2. In this model, Volvo decided to complicate the easy mount... The distributor, as you said, is under the intake manifold; its back is practically attached to the engine block and the front of the distributor is at less of two inches far from the radiator fan: it's pratically impossible to make anything, as I can, I'll post a picture.

I made a test: in a LPG mode I unplugged the top electric plug (it should be the stepper motor wiring) and the car immediatly has passed in petrol mode; subsequently, ever in LPG mode, I unplugged the bottom electric plug: the engine has stopped immediatly, as it happens while driving. It may give some suggestion?

Last edited by volvotwofortyfive; Jul 4th, 2016 at 09:24.
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 23:57   #16
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

If you have poured injector cleaner directly into the barrel of the distributor, and let it soak but seen no improvement, the intermittent cuttign can only be electrical on these. I would put a large bet on a new stepper. I can sell you one reconditioned, and better than new with my mods to prevent repeat for £180. PM me. If it does not fix the issue you may return to get your money back, less postage. Something buying new does not allow you. This provided you don't fry it or bend the shaft, by ignoring my instructions. I would also take a deposit until I see your core. This I require. I am 95% sure my diagnosis is correct.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 5th, 2016 at 00:03.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 07:02   #17
volvotwofortyfive

Thanks for your offer; just this morning I bought a specific injector cleaner to put directly in the pipe feeding of distributor; my previous tentative was a generous dose of additive in the tank only and now I'll try exactly your suggestion. Let's see if this further test works.

At the end, the phisical accessibility to the distributor is the bigger brake: at this point I had already dissassembled the whole system......
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 09:30   #18
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Ahem, I was wondering how you had put injector cleaner through if you'd not removed the stepper motor. So, you put it in the fuel tank with the petrol? I see. Why did you stop there? Give some to next doors' cat and be done. I always kill a chicken over my socket-set. Can't hurt. Might help.

I strongly recommend you remove the stepper and then soak. Going via the tube will a make a big improvement over the tank or the dead-chicken, but you want to soak those heavy-ends, and via the tube won't do this well either.

Dirt will have wrecked the stepper motor, all you are doing by cleaning is getting rid of the cause, the dirt has mashed your stepper. I would make a very large bet your stepper motor is coming out anyway for replacement, so you may as well get practiced in its removal and clean the distributor properly or when you do replace the stepper, you'll trash the next too, OR finally kill the stepper you have now. So you'll still need a new stepper. No, I don't like where the thing is fitted either...

Now, I strongly advise you to stop being a 'Big girl', take your dress off and get that stepper out to clean the distributor properly... or cry in your beer later.
I really believe cleaning now will sort the root cause, but you'll need a new stepper very soon.

As I said, 2 x 3mm Allen/Hex key and lift it out. There's a spring and a spring washer in there. Don't let it fly on you. Nearly forgot, a spring clip too.

Now, where's that chicken....

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 5th, 2016 at 10:13.
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:54   #19
volvotwofortyfive

... Something's lost due to "slang" (cat doors, chicken murder, oversized girls.... ).

Anyway, I put a specific LPG cleaner in the LPG tank with a pressurized can; no additive in the liquid petrol, of course.

My desire is is to disassemble the distributor but (as I told) it is in an unfortunate position:

It's already impossible to see the second screw of the stepper motor....
More or less it's too close to everything....

So, given this "nice" position of the distributor, before disassemble water radiator, AC radiator, fan, various electronic control units, I would try any other chemical solution, even up to sulfuric acid, if necessary

I know, I'm searching for a miracle but the thought to disassemble the whole nose of the car for a engineering mistake, really makes me bored.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distrib 1.jpg (75.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Distrib 2.jpg (38.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Distrib 3.jpg (34.8 KB, 59 views)
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 19:59   #20
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Sorry, my er.. attempt at humour may not translate. And I think you do a better job with English than I ever would with Italian, so my apologies.

That thing really is in a 'nice' position. I had heard it was awkward but never have I worked on one. I have worked on the ECM and steppers. But on my test bench. I am an electronics engineer working on hydrauilic control systems, so the Necam unit is similar to these systems.

I feel sorry for you.
Mine is a three minute job. You would only want to strip yours down once. Looks like a 2-3 hour job or more. I am guessing it is easier to remove the radiator than the inlet manifold, but I may be wrong. There is advantage in removing the manifold, in that these cars need their PCV breather system replaced at 100,000+ miles. This is also found under the manifold.

I do know the distributor is held on via 2 x rubber mounted bolts. If you can get to these maybe you get more space. But your knuckles, not mine.

I can see why you will fight for a chemical solution, I would too. Only as said, I think your chances of this being successful are not good.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 5th, 2016 at 20:06.