Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't start but battery seems ok - any idea's???

Views : 10254

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2018, 11:27   #1
Lion Heart

Default Engine won't start but battery seems ok - any idea's???

Hi guys

I have a 2008 V50 2.0d. Owned for close to two years.

Been great, but around three weeks ago I went out to start it and it clicked once and stopped. Power looked ok etc on the dash etc.

Normally for a low battery (in my experiemce anyway) if will continue to click a few times to try and start the car, but it did one click then nothing else.

Then strangley enough it started on the money the next day no problems at all. Fired up as soon as I turned the key, so no signs of any battery issue there.

I noted that the air con fan had been left on full by my partner, so turned that down and attributed it that maybe drawing so much power and stopping the engine from firing.

Been fine for a couple of weeks, but again yesterday went to start it and this time the air con fan is on low speed so that rules that out.

Just really weird (?) that it only clicks once.

I thought maybe immobiliser issue??? Maybe a dying battery in the key???

Anyone else come across this issue?
Lion Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 12:27   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Suggest you search for ignition switch issues, its a common fault on the S40/V50.

Also your car has the 4-cylinder Ford modified PSA engine, the FoMoCo sourced starter motors (and alternators) fitted to them aren't nearly as robust as the usual Volvo items and often give up around 100k+ miles.

A recon starter from Volvo will be more expensive that say Andrew Page but will be substantially better quality.

Check also battery connections, battery fuses and leads.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 13:36   #3
Lion Heart

Thank you for your input!! Where would I check for ignition switch issues?
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 16:05   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
Thank you for your input!! Where would I check for ignition switch issues?
Search this forum for "ignition switch" there are a few articles.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 16:54   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
Suggest you search for ignition switch issues, its a common fault on the S40/V50.
But that tends bring up a warning on the dash. "Key error try again" or something similar
I have had 1 starter motor and 2 alternators go on my V 50
Would try charging battery first, and / or get it tested. What is the battery voltage when you try to start? Measure whilst starting. It might be a duff battery and the voltage drops away during starting.
See if you are getting 12 v on the starter motor small terminal when you flick the key to start position.

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 18:55   #6
Lion Heart

Hey Iain

Yes, I get NO warnings at all on the dash. It just does not start.

I've done some googling and people tend to get key error, immobiliser error etc. But I get nothing at all.

Yes, I think I'll test the battery. I have a multimeter so I'll test it as-is and then test it whilst being started and see if it dies on the current.

Then yes I guess then test at the starter end then as well if the battery seems ok.

Thanks for that - fingers crossed!
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 19:04   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

In the old days you could tell if your battery wasn't good enough to start the car as you could see the dashboard lamps dim when you turned the key - however with modern LED based instrument clusters this doesn't happen....

If it was the battery though it is unlikely the car would start the following day without it being charged up again.

IainG has reminded me that you do get an error on the display if it is the more common ignition switch issue.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 19:19   #8
Vfifty

Had the same problem couple months ago, thought it was battery, luckily had a good spare one. Swapped battery, then week later same again clicks couple times then starts. Eventually no click at all,after a number of attempts still didn't start, fortunately car was parked at home.
After a bit of a researching decided to buy new starter. Replaced starter, problem solved..
Vfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 14:12   #9
Lion Heart

Hey guys

Quick update on this. I tested the battery with a multimeter this morning.

The battery was 'sitting' at 12.2v, when I tried starting the car it dropped to around 10.6v.

I then also attached my battery charger which has an engine start mode and tried that as well but would still not start the car.

So I think this is pointing towards the starter motor. Before I spend the money on the starter motor, are there any further tests you can recommend to try and ensure it is definitely the starter motor?

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:40   #10
padder1956

you cannot test the battery with a multi meter
padder1956 is offline   Reply With Quote