Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 V70 Brakes? ABS? ???

Views : 3037

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 00:09   #11
pff

There are 3 different 'types' of abs, plain abs, abs with tracs, abs with stc.
if you get an ecu of the same 'type' it should work.
if you change ecu 'type' you should really change the pump underneath also to match, i don't know if there is a difference between stc and tracs pump but plain abs pump is missing two valves that do something or other...

so if you have plain abs and want stc abs you can swap ecu and pump (messy job!) and add the switch to the dash.

but to answer your question, providing you with this source that i took as gospel when i 'upgraded' my abs, all part numbers (of the same type) are interchangeable:

https://www.midwest-abs.com/1999-2000_V70.php
pff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pff For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 11:01   #12
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Currymunster

Try to get the exact part number. (Reach down there with a mobile and take a photo upwards).

You can do some substitutions, eg if yours doesn't have TRACS, you can put one in that has TRACS, but I cannot give you the rule for that.

Different ABS modules have different numbers of "columns" which you will see when you open it up (or look at a photo of a unit with your part number). I think you have to stay with the same number of "columns".

When removing the ABS module, make sure you use the correct size of Torx bit. It is E5. E6 is a bit loose, or some people even try other non Torx sockets. But if the bolt is tight, which they sometimes are, if you have the wrong socket, you will strip the head, and then you have a big problem.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:54   #13
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
There are 3 different 'types' of abs, plain abs, abs with tracs, abs with stc.
if you get an ecu of the same 'type' it should work.
if you change ecu 'type' you should really change the pump underneath also to match, i don't know if there is a difference between stc and tracs pump but plain abs pump is missing two valves that do something or other...

so if you have plain abs and want stc abs you can swap ecu and pump (messy job!) and add the switch to the dash.

but to answer your question, providing you with this source that i took as gospel when i 'upgraded' my abs, all part numbers (of the same type) are interchangeable:

https://www.midwest-abs.com/1999-2000_V70.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Currymunster

Try to get the exact part number. (Reach down there with a mobile and take a photo upwards).

You can do some substitutions, eg if yours doesn't have TRACS, you can put one in that has TRACS, but I cannot give you the rule for that.

Different ABS modules have different numbers of "columns" which you will see when you open it up (or look at a photo of a unit with your part number). I think you have to stay with the same number of "columns".

When removing the ABS module, make sure you use the correct size of Torx bit. It is E5. E6 is a bit loose, or some people even try other non Torx sockets. But if the bolt is tight, which they sometimes are, if you have the wrong socket, you will strip the head, and then you have a big problem.

Steve
Thanks for your help.
The car does not have any thing but plain ABS.
None of the other stuff.
Module is already removed.
i Broke the lid trying to remove that
Any way - I have the E5 so that was no problem.
all solder joints look fine so im not sure if it is the module or pump now.
ABS and engine light on with the red brake failure sometimes.
ABS works all the time plus there is a ticking noise coming from the module/pump. Also there is a release of air/fluid every so oftem??
Ive now removed the ABS fuse and module.
ABS, engine and Brake failure lights on permanantly now.
However, the brakes work perfect now with no noises.
Just not got any abs now.
I'll take some pics of the module in a bit.
currymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 13:35   #14
currymunster

I cant post the pics.
it keeps saying failed!!
I think they are too big??
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 14:45   #15
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymunster View Post
I cant post the pics.
it keeps saying failed!!
I think they are too big??
They have to be small, and the size for different extensions is listed when you try to upload.
I find the easiest way to shrink them is with https://picresize.com/ .
Choose jpeg and Max Filesize 300Kb

Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 16:11   #16
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
They have to be small, and the size for different extensions is listed when you try to upload.
I find the easiest way to shrink them is with https://picresize.com/ .
Choose jpeg and Max Filesize 300Kb

Joe
Okay, thanks.
I'll try and sort that when I get home this evening.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 16:40   #17
currymunster

rsz_20190802_125743.jpg

rsz_20190802_125800.jpg

rsz_20190802_125831.jpg

Lets hope that works?????????
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 16:43   #18
volvo again
Master Member

Getting the module open is tricky, you have to cut around it as you found out...
Are you sure the soldered joints are okay, use a magnifying glass and look for any that may have small holes (air pockets) or look dull.

The brakes will work without the module connected but as you say, no ABS or speedo...

Changing the pump is not too hard, lots of pipe unions to undo...carefully !!
Obviously new fluid & bleeding required.

If you are changing the pump make sure you get one the same as yours...not sure why but my V70 had only 5 pipes and most abs pumps I found had 6, eventually got one from Lithuania but didn't need it, problem was reluctor rings.

Last edited by volvo again; Aug 2nd, 2019 at 16:46.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 17:22   #19
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Getting the module open is tricky, you have to cut around it as you found out...
Are you sure the soldered joints are okay, use a magnifying glass and look for any that may have small holes (air pockets) or look dull.

The brakes will work without the module connected but as you say, no ABS or speedo...

Changing the pump is not too hard, lots of pipe unions to undo...carefully !!
Obviously new fluid & bleeding required.

If you are changing the pump make sure you get one the same as yours...not sure why but my V70 had only 5 pipes and most abs pumps I found had 6, eventually got one from Lithuania but didn't need it, problem was reluctor rings.
After trading your post I thought I'd have another look.
Really hard to tell but I think the two power pins are cracked so I'll remove the solder and re do it. I'll keep you posted....
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 18:36   #20
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Currymunster,

If the problem was an ABS wheel sensor, I don't see how it would trigger an engine light.
But if the problem was the soldering in the ABS module, maybe that can trigger an engine light (and erratic speedo etc)

I am 99% sure that if you unplug the power cable to the ABS module (or remove it completely as you have done in your case), that the ABS light will come on (as it already has), but the engine light should either go off, or let you clear the engine codes and then the engine light will go off.

The car is driveable without an ABS module, you just wont have any ABS functionality.

Without an ABS module, if the engine light stays on and cant be cleared, then something else must be going on. Hopefully not.

Hope that make sense.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote