Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie: petrol or diesel / acceleration figures

Views : 1343

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 17:34   #1
DBLO

Question Newbie: petrol or diesel / acceleration figures

Hi. I'm coming from an audi S4 but heading for a third child and a third row of seats... have been debating the Q7 / XC90 / X5 conundrum, but am coming out at an XC90. (X5 too many footballers and only marginal third row, Q7 too expensive and just BIG looking). However, my S4 roots point me at a 4.4V8, but I know that doesn't make sense, so am thinking 185bph D5, or possible 2.9 or 3.6 petrol. I was thinking 3.6 petrol, as the extra torque would be useful, but as I am likley to buy private 2nd hand, I may have a problem finding one. (Autotrader has about 300 D5's, 30 2.9's and 5 3.6's!)

Does anyone have 0-30 / 30-50 / 50-70 type acceleration figures, as they would make a very interesting comparison between the engines. Also it is very rare that you actually do 0-60; much more often it is 0-30, or 50-70overtaking etc so the shorter sections are more useful. I am partly worried about overtaking, as this has not been a problem with the S4!

Thanks.
DBLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 22:46   #2
ptt

If you want 7 seats and overtaking abillity, buy a V70 T5 with the 7 seat conversion and get a RICA chip! Will show the Audi a clean pair of heels

As for the XC90, we have the older D5, the 165. Its ok, has a nice ish growl and goes well enough but you cant nip out and overtake like you can in a hot hatch. Just too heavy with too little power But then, its not built as a sports car. It is amazing how your driving does change to suite it though. I am not always trying to overtake when driving it as I am when in my T5

Get one, they are excellent!
ptt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 00:20   #3
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLO View Post
Hi. I'm coming from an audi S4 but heading for a third child and a third row of seats... have been debating the Q7 / XC90 / X5 conundrum, but am coming out at an XC90. (X5 too many footballers and only marginal third row, Q7 too expensive and just BIG looking). However, my S4 roots point me at a 4.4V8, but I know that doesn't make sense, so am thinking 185bph D5, or possible 2.9 or 3.6 petrol. I was thinking 3.6 petrol, as the extra torque would be useful, but as I am likley to buy private 2nd hand, I may have a problem finding one. (Autotrader has about 300 D5's, 30 2.9's and 5 3.6's!)

Thanks.
In the reviews I read the fuel consumption wasn't much different with the V8 as oposed to the 3.6 so the reccommendation was that it was the better choice. It's going to sound oh so very nice as well.

Roy
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 13:18   #4
XC90GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
In the reviews I read the fuel consumption wasn't much different with the V8 as oposed to the 3.6 so the reccommendation was that it was the better choice. It's going to sound oh so very nice as well.

Roy
just had the same conundrum. i was coming out of a Porsche Cayenne S. got used to having a relatively quick car. Seriously considered the v8 xc90.
Decided on a low mileage t6 se. £20k was such good value. The V8 had depreciated from £52k to £32k, the 3.2 (not a 3.6) is about £30k used.
I figured drive the t6 for a yeare, and it wont lose too much more (say another £5k?) by which time there will be loads more V8s around then trade for one of those

Fuel consumption is almost same for all the petrols. not enough in it to make that my decision maker.

btw, agree that Q7 is way too small inside (its like a Tardis in reverse!)
XC90GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 14:19   #5
DBLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90GUY View Post
just had the same conundrum. i was coming out of a Porsche Cayenne S .... considered the v8 xc90.
Decided on a low mileage t6 se. £20k was such good value.

btw, agree that Q7 is way too small inside (its like a Tardis in reverse!)
I think this is the logic I am following too. Probably true on the fuel consumption, and it won't do more than about 6kpa, so not a core issue. V8 would indeed be nice, but doesn't quite warrant an extra £10k, that would only come off in swift depreciation (it may well be an unpopular second hand car in this market). Oddly, I expect that for your average uneducated 4x4 basher, they wouldn't notice whether it was a frugal base T5 or fully loaded V8, so it is only your personal view that makes a difference.

Hopefully you get less abuse than you did in the Cayenne though!

Also, for an executive geartronic, there is only 1 V8, 3 3.2's on autotrader, but 8 T6's. With the T6's at least £10k less than either of the others, the others just don't seem worth it.

I keep saying to myself... it is not a sports car...

PS ptt - S4 is chipped to 330bhp. I've not been passed by many a V70...but as you say : I'm sure driving style changes anyway.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 14:22   #6
GSMGuy
Master Member

IMHO, in a car the size of our XC90's Torque is they key, more so than out and out power - it's a big lump of metal....

If I was buying another - and I will, not for a year or two though... I'd go for a D5 185 Exec Geartronic, and have it "fettled" These motors give in the region of 460nm of torque - delivered @ 1800rpm! 226bhp ain't bad either, and you should still get near to 30mpg around town......

Compare that to a T6... Less torque and about 50% more fuel used to produce it......

I don't agree with :

"Oddly, I expect that for your average uneducated 4x4 basher, they wouldn't notice whether it was a frugal base T5 or fully loaded V8, so it is only your personal view that makes a difference."

Personally, I think on a car in this category, spec and engine are very important to most buyers, whether it's their first 4x4 or not....

Incidentally, was tempted enough by the Q7 just before Xmas to have a test and talk £££ Great ride, but extremely poor rear space compared to the Volvo, and there's no way our pram or shopping will fit in with all 7 seats in use (regular occurance with us)

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 14:47   #7
ovlov25
Premier Member

Money no object then a fettled D5 would be the answer. If you want a lower initial purchase price 2nd hand and aren't worried about the running costs then the T6 could be picked up quite cheaply in comparison.

Money no object and running costs no object then a V8 XC90 or a 4.8 X5
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 19:27   #8
GSMGuy
Master Member

X5? Noooooo - I provide Kitchens, not "pharmaceuticals....."

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 19:56   #9
DBLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
IMHO, in a car the size of our XC90's Torque is they key, more so than out and out power - it's a big lump of metal....

If I was buying another - and I will, not for a year or two though... I'd go for a D5 185 Exec Geartronic, and have it "fettled" These motors give in the region of 460nm of torque - delivered @ 1800rpm! 226bhp ain't bad either, and you should still get near to 30mpg around town......

Compare that to a T6... Less torque and about 50% more fuel used to produce it......

I don't agree with :

"Oddly, I expect that for your average uneducated 4x4 basher, they wouldn't notice whether it was a frugal base T5 or fully loaded V8, so it is only your personal view that makes a difference."

Personally, I think on a car in this category, spec and engine are very important to most buyers, whether it's their first 4x4 or not....

Mike
I did spend some time thinking about the torque issue. Any idea of the cost of fettling a 185 D5?

Re your disagreement - see "Basher" not "buyer". I.e. the anti-4x4 brigade don't check your emissions, just your car size. For the buyer, of course it makes all the difference...
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 21:48   #10
ckp
I've Been Banned

I hope to have a RICA chipped new XC90 in a few weeks. 226 BHP with 460Nm, £600 for the chip and insurance up 20% (£350 for a 38year old)

I hope it will give more zip at lower revs, hence reduce the engine boom!
ckp is offline   Reply With Quote