Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is my XC90 D5 too noisy?

Views : 2706

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 11:19   #11
Ron_XC90
Master Member

There will be a big difference here between the 163 bhp with 5 speed geartronic and the 185 bhp with 6 speed on the later models.
I have not noticed this boomy engine noise, other than when doing 40mph on certain types of tarmac (think it's a mix of road noise as well as engine noise).
At 80 or 90 mph the main noise is wind, which is for this type of car very acceptable.

the only thing I really don't like about the D5/Geartronic is the higher revs when cold. Doing 2500 rpm uphill with a stone cold engine aarrrggghhh....
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 13:20   #12
jtaw45

Use the geartronic and change up manually then.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 15:01   #13
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaw45 View Post
Use the geartronic and change up manually then.
You cannot force an upchange earlier than the minimum speeds programmed into the system, in the same way you can't with a downchange....

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:49   #14
jtaw45

I agree, but i can manually change through the gears upto 3rd without getting anywhere near 2000 rpm never mind 2500.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:54   #15
NeilThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
My god, you could be driving my car......

Boominess around 2500 rpm, ie motorway speeds makes it quieter to cruise at 85 than 70....

Mike
Have you ever had this investigated (by a Volvo dealer?) to find out if there's a fault? It does seem as though there's a resonance at this rpm so maybe something is loose? I think I read somewhere else that replacing the engine mounts can help, so I might ask my garage about that.
NeilThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 10:51   #16
NeilThompson

Default Update: all's well!

Final update:

The gearbox behaves exactly as you explained: in 5th gear lock-up occurs at around 53mph.

The noise level has reduced! It's no longer as boomy and in fact quite acceptable. I like what I hear now: bit raucous when you accelerate hard but otherwise a pleasant 5-cylinder warble. No apparent peak at 2500rpm any more, but still just audible at steady 80mph on the motorway.

Why has noise level reduced? A couple of ideas (from a mechanical idiot): when we bought the car it had been sitting unused at a dealer for a few weeks. Maybe it just needed a few miles on it to settle in again. Otherwise, maybe fuel has something to do with it: when we first got it we filled up with premium diesel, but now we're on the standard stuff which maybe suits it better.

So, looking forward to a run from Lancashire down to Normandy in a couple of weeks. The kids love the XC90 so maybe they'll actually enjoy the journey.

By the way, we're getting avg 32mpg so far. Country lanes, A-roads, bit of motorway, no urban.

Cheers all
NeilThompson is offline   Reply With Quote