Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 d5 2005 05 loosing traction

Views : 12431

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2009, 19:12   #1
rtl550

Default xc90 d5 2005 05 loosing traction

i have a 2005 XC 90 D5 which seems to get stuck very easily, i've tried all types of tyre's but it still gets stuck.
The car seems to torque steer and slides about in the wet quite a bit.
when i was in the field the other day, just the front wheels were spining...is this normal?

i haven't taken it to volvo yet as my local garage isn't to helpful.
rtl550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 00:12   #2
wagga

COuld it be the AWD feature failed?

I've read before about some XC90 AWD feature not functioning and many owners don't realise this until they got stuck. THe Front wheel should not be slipping coz the rear will kick in by then.

SOftware issue?
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 06:36   #3
bignose

may be best to do a search up top....do you have the DST turned off ? when wet have you put transmission into wet mode ?

mike
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die."
bignose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:09   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

I fear the splines on the sleeve connecting the gearbox to the angle gear have stripped , preventing drive to the rear wheels , a quick check // get underneath and try and turn the propshaft . it should be directly connected to the front wheels , if it spins freely thats your problem , it will need a new sleeve ( £80) and possibly a new angle gear if the mating splines on that are damaged ( £800)
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:28   #5
AB-UK
Premier Member

Clan,
Sorry - did you mean the prop shaft should be directly connected to the REAR wheels, so that if it revolves it proves it is slipping?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 08:46   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

No the prop shaft is directly coupled to the crown wheel in the gearbox . the Haldex clutch at the rear connects the propshaft to the rear wheels when needed
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 09:32   #7
ianu
Premier Member

Hi rtl550,
Your symptoms sound very similar to mine when this happened to me (2005 MY) - and Clan is very probably right here. Sounds like the splines have stripped.
I was fortunate as I was still in spitting distance of the warranty and negotiated a significant contribution from Volvo.
Best scenario is that they can seperate the shaft and just replace the sleeve - otherwise it gets quite pricey.
Let us know what you find out.

Thanks
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 22:17   #8
Hill-ofa-Hutch

Angry XC90 2 wheel drive too - just joined the club!

Had suspicions my 75,000 mile 2004 xc90 D5 was not working all four wheels. Been on a hilly muddy field at weekend and nearly got stuck, front wheels spinning only and traction light flashing and power also cutting down when i floored the throttle. I did eventualy get enough momentum to take a run at the hill and blast my way out!

Anyway i have spent the last two hours trawling through the forums and getting ever so depressed.

Can someone clarify / correct me on the posible failures?

1. Electronic traction control sensor may have failed.
2. Rear Propshaft spline / sleeve may have stripped.
3. Angle gear may be damaged from prop failure or even stripped in its own right.

Are all parts Volvo only or is there a manufacture out there who can make replacements better than the OEM?

Will running in two wheel drive for a while cause any further / more costly damage?

Well the kids are going to be eating bread and butter for a while!
Hill-ofa-Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 22:53   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

most likely the splined sleeve connecting crown wheel to angle gear , £80 improved part now . But the longer you leave it the more damage it will do to the angle gear splines so you will most likely need an angle gear too . The gearbox splines usualy survive as they must be harder .
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:22   #10
jtaw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
most likely the splined sleeve connecting crown wheel to angle gear , £80 improved part now . But the longer you leave it the more damage it will do to the angle gear splines so you will most likely need an angle gear too . The gearbox splines usualy survive as they must be harder .
I'm not having problems on my 04 xc90 but regularly tow a ton and half of caravan of very muddy fields,is it worth replacing this part with the improved version before the old one fails, hence only having to replace that part and not damaging the angle gear?
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote