Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 used prices

Views : 1380

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 16:16   #1
jamk

Default XC90 used prices

I was surprised to see a couple of XC90 Active 59 plate D5 geartronics with 2 or 3k miles advertised for around £30k. Is this just because there is a high demand and a long wait for the new cars? I thought that there were still great deals about on these cars, mine is on contract hire so am not totally up on the retail prices but seem to remember some people saying they were getting a new XC90 Active for £22/23k
jamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:56   #2
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamk View Post
I was surprised to see a couple of XC90 Active 59 plate D5 geartronics with 2 or 3k miles advertised for around £30k. Is this just because there is a high demand and a long wait for the new cars? I thought that there were still great deals about on these cars, mine is on contract hire so am not totally up on the retail prices but seem to remember some people saying they were getting a new XC90 Active for £22/23k
They can advertise them at £30k but this does not mean they will shift them. On the other hand, Motorpoint seems to be getting 2-3 basic active auto in either black (£200 instead of £600 for metal) or white (£0) every two weeks and seem to be shifting them quite easily at £26,500.

You can get this car on drivethedeal for £24,500. So I think you are right, some people are ready to pay £2000 over drivethedeal to get a car straight away. Some people are not aware that they can source those cars even cheaper.

Back in November, my local dealer did not want to offer more than £5000 off an active auto (I procured it from drivethedeal and got £9,500 off)

Another factor is the price increase. FYI, an active auto in metal was £23k before the tax raise. Volvo has absorbed the tax raise on most models apart from the active and has now remove the xenon (a shame,they are fantastic).

My car is now £1,300 more expensive on drivethedeal and does not have the xenon.

This means some active are now worth more than what people paid. I put my car spec on webuyanycar and I can sell it for £300 more than I paid for it. That's even before mentioning that mine has the family pack and three year service plan!

This will be for a very short time window. As the current model get improvement (it will get a better engine and 38+ mpg combined, it will get a new dashboard in line with XC60, a face lift with LED ... our cars will sink in value quickly, no doubt.
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 09:23   #3
XCF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie59 View Post

You can get this car on drivethedeal for £24,500. So I think you are right, some people are ready to pay £2000 over drivethedeal to get a car straight away. Some people are not aware that they can source those cars even cheaper.
You could get the Active from dealdrivers yesterday for £22,930

Quote:
My car is now £1,300 more expensive on drivethedeal and does not have the xenon.

This means some active are now worth more than what people paid. I put my car spec on webuyanycar and I can sell it for £300 more than I paid for it. That's even before mentioning that mine has the family pack and three year service plan!

This will be for a very short time window. As the current model get improvement (it will get a better engine and 38+ mpg combined, it will get a new dashboard in line with XC60, a face lift with LED ... our cars will sink in value quickly, no doubt.

Agreed - this was one of the reasons I went for the cheapest model. That way I minimise the impact of any majpr revisions - though hopefully as the discounts and std spec slowly decreases this should help with residuals.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:01   #4
jeffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
Agreed - this was one of the reasons I went for the cheapest model. That way I minimise the impact of any majpr revisions - though hopefully as the discounts and std spec slowly decreases this should help with residuals.
I dont want to judge, but (to me) this seems like an odd reason to "go for the cheapest model".

I chose the opposite tact; I went for the most expensive model, and added more to it. Afterall, I am not buying the car for its residuals. Sure that is a factor, but I have ALWAYS lost £2,500 - £3,000 per year for every car I have owned, from a brand new top end Mondeo, to my wife's Kia Sedona, to my Jag XKR. By the time I average out the yearly depreciation it is always in that range. I bought the XC90 primarily for a family car to take on holiday and keep for the next 5-6 years, so residuals are not a big consideration.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:13   #5
reggie59

>You could get the Active from dealdrivers yesterday for £22,930
Yes, sure for a white manual. I was assuming auto

Jeffo,
It is a fact that more expensive the car, more you lose in value. Go on autoquake.com (http://www.autoquake.com/cars?make=12764&model=683)
and have a look. After three years, there is not much difference between a SE and an Exec. This is true for any car.

If money no object at all, than sure the executive must be a fabulous car.

Cheers
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:33   #6
XCF
Master Member

I think the Active was under priced / over spec'd by Volvo UK taking into account the discounts on offer. I think Volvo recognise this as Active prices have crept up since Jan 1st and spec has dropped.

My logic was the car and engine is the same in the Active model all the way up to the Exec and the spec on the Active ticked nearly all the options I wanted.

The cost of ownership is low, and if a new model / facelift comes along the knock on impact in £ is less to me at £21k new than it is at £30k new for an Exec.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:48   #7
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
I think the Active was under priced / over spec'd by Volvo UK taking into account the discounts on offer. I think Volvo recognise this as Active prices have crept up since Jan 1st and spec has dropped.

My logic was the car and engine is the same in the Active model all the way up to the Exec and the spec on the Active ticked nearly all the options I wanted.

The cost of ownership is low, and if a new model / facelift comes along the knock on impact in £ is less to me at £21k new than it is at £30k new for an Exec.
Agree. At Nov-Dec price after drivethedeal type discount, the active was simply a steal. Using Drivethedeal, a similar spec Golf was more expensive!

Think about it, 2 years ago, an S was £33,000 with max discount of £5,000. Then, they added tints (£300), Xenon (was a £1,000 options) and auto mirror (about £200) and dropped it to 29,995. Then they started discounted it by close to £10,000!

But you do not have to be a product marketing genius to see that it was under priced. The fact that tons of site are now reselling them at £26,500, that Volvo ran out of them 3 months before their end year is a clear indication.

I also suspect that the large £6,500 allowance will be watered down from today. Again, they could have made another £1,000 per car, easily. They would be daft not to.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 10:52   #8
reggie59

I meant £6,500 scrapage allowance.

And Nick, thanks for pointed out to me that the Active had Xenon back in November.
I was finding the active very good value compare to SE before knowing this (bizarrely not very clear on volvo brochure and not even mentioned by the sales person)...
Once I knew... I rushed back on drivethedeal website and ordered one!
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 11:27   #9
XCF
Master Member

Quote:

And Nick, thanks for pointed out to me that the Active had Xenon back in November.
I was finding the active very good value compare to SE before knowing this (bizarrely not very clear on volvo brochure and not even mentioned by the sales person)...
Once I knew... I rushed back on drivethedeal website and ordered one!
It is strange how Volvo operate - they don't advertise themselves very well at all at times.

The Xenon lights is a good example - clearly a major selling point for the Active * (maybe even where it got it's name) but then it's lost in the small print on the model info and even then they assume you know that "Active Bending Lights" actuallly means Active bending "xenon" lights.

It's similar on the thread I saw on the exec - people didn't know it comes with heated reat seats as it's not advertised /explained.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 22:06   #10
OldAudi

Quote:
It's similar on the thread I saw on the exec - people didn't know it comes with heated reat seats as it's not advertised /explained.
Even the dealer was not sure when i went to pick up my Executive last weekend.
OldAudi is offline   Reply With Quote