Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Discount scheme with Sky Insurance!!

Views : 13587

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 15:24   #21
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
Ollie,
Club forums are a place for the enthusastic driver/owner in the vast majority of forums the cars members have will be older, classic or vintage. A lot of older Volvos have a relativley low value just look at the prices for 240, 340, 360, 740, 940, 440, 460, 480, 960, 850, S70, phase 1 V70 and some of the vintage cars. Loads of these cars are under £2000 in value if you go to the T5D5 forum loads of cars have had £2000 and over spent on performance upgrades. You say your company is competative and club members qualify for a discount, out of the above listed models of Volvo which ones will you insure when the value is under £2k? Do you research before posting on forums? If you did you would realise that you have just disclududed the majority of members on this forum from taking out insurance with Sky. Have a look in the various sections of this forum to see how active the newer models of Volvo are, not very.

You have kinda shot yourself in the foot with your qualifiying criterea for taking insurance out with your company.

Hi,

points taken on board and yes research was done before offering the discount.

We are not here to promising to insure every member although we have insured a fair few VOC members, three or four in the last day in fact so we must be doing something right.

I'll check out the T5/D5 forum, maybe we can offer these guys a discount as well. Thanks for that

The £2000 value for Comprehensive cover is not set in stone, we try and look at each case on it's own merit, so for example a Volvo 340 (I pick this as an example as we insure these in fairly high volumes through our affiliation/sponsorship of Driftworks) worth £1500 would be considered for a fully comprehensive policy via our car club scheme. If a car is worth under £1500, paying for fully comp cover does not usually make finanical sense.
As a broker, we deal with a whole host of underwriters, we use three main underwriters for our car club scheme, the £2000 rule is in place only for these three so we can quote fully comp on a car worth £100, we would just advise against and cannot promise the rate will be as competitive as it would be by using our car club scheme underwriters.

If a customer has a classic car then we can look at a classic car policy.

Thanks for your comments

Kind regards

Ollie
Schemes Liaison Manager
Sky Insurance

Last edited by skyinsurance_ollie; Aug 20th, 2010 at 16:57.
skyinsurance_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 16:18   #22
Lloydnoise

Default Set in Stone !

Hello Ollie, ....thanks for your input etc,....i take it that Jae has had to have a lie down & a cup of tea , ha ha .

With regard to 'my' prospective quote which started the thread .....
' Sky insurance & it's approach ' .......i can tell you for sure that the guy
( nothing personal ,...you'll have record of it ? )....stated in the 'clearest terms' that you
' DO NOT ' insure fully comp cars which are under £2,000 in value 'or' anyone who is unemployed !!

My 'amazement' at this 'you'll have gathered' has prompted 'many' e-mails in protest ,.......'particularly' as you are being allowed the 'priviledge' ( excuse the pun ) of freely advertising on this forum !!

Can't you perhaps hook up with companies who will 'allow' you to represent this 'very large contingent of people' ensuing a not inconsiderable profit in the process ? ....or are we to assume you are flying ( pun ) so high that it dosen't matter ?

P S ,......i wonder if the people you've insured recently 'from this forum' were aware of these heartfelt threads ?

I look forward to your detailed & well researched replys Ollie .

Positives , Lloyd .

" Let's look for the good in life,..not the faults "
Lloydnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 16:22   #23
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyinsurance View Post
Hi,

points taken on board and yes research was done before offering the discount.

We are not here to promising to insure every member although we have insured a fair few VOC members, three or four in the last day in fact so we must be doing something right.

I'll check out the T5/D5 forum, maybe we can offer these guys a discount as well. Thanks for that

The £2000 value for Comprehensive cover is not set in stone, we try and look at each case on it's own merit, so for example a Volvo 340 (I pick this as an example as we insure these in fairly high volumes through our affilaition/sponsorship of Driftworks) worth £1500 would be considered for a fully comprehensive policy via our car club scheme. If a car is worth under £1500, paying for fully comp cover does not usually make finanical sense.
As a broker, we deal with a whole host of underwriters, we use three main underwriters for our car club scheme, the £2000 rule is in place only for these three so we can quote fully comp on a car was £100, we would just advise against and cannot promise the rate will be as competitive as it would be by using our car club scheme underwriters.

If a customer has a classic car then we can look at a classic car policy.

Thanks for your comments

Kind regards

Ollie
Schemes Liaison Manager
Sky Insurance
Well you have said alot and answered nothing, you say "we try and look at each case on it's own merit" clearly you don't, having a read through this thread clearly demonstrates that.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 16:39   #24
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
Well you have said alot and answered nothing, you say "we try and look at each case on it's own merit" clearly you don't, having a read through this thread clearly demonstrates that.
Hi again Steve, as a broker we would dearly love to insure every member on every car for their desired level of cover, in reality our hands are tied by the underwriters guiding and rules. From our perspective it is incredibly frustrating when you have a customer who ticks all the right boxes and we have to decline just because they fall down on one small piece of criteria live a vehicle value.

If we can help and insure any member, we will do our very best, if we cannot we politely explain why. We have at no point said we could insure every VOC member, we stick by our statement that for the majority we should be competitive. We will be great for some, good for the majority and no good for some others, as ever it is usually the people we cannot help that are the vocal ones but that comes with the territory and we have no problem with this, no problem discussing the issue, as you can see by our continued postings.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our thread. I have answered the query to the best of my knowledge and ability, I can only apologise if this is not good enough for you Steve.

Ollie
Sky Insurance
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 16:51   #25
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydnoise View Post
With regard to 'my' prospective quote which started the thread .....
' Sky insurance & it's approach ' .......i can tell you for sure that the guy
( nothing personal ,...you'll have record of it ? )....stated in the 'clearest terms' that you
' DO NOT ' insure fully comp cars which are under £2,000 in value 'or' anyone who is unemployed !!
Hi Lloyd,

I have not listened to the call, I believe Jae has but I can tell you that the customer adviser you spoke to would have given you this informamtion based on our car club scheme guide. As a broker we could have provided you with a quote, this may not have been competitive as unfortunately due to the reasons that have been discussed, you are outside of the criteria for our car club scheme. I hasten to add, we are most certainly not the only insurer who has these rules in place, many of our competitors operate under the same underwriting rules. As brokers, our hands are pretty much tied on this although we are able to excercise a certain amount of 'buying power' with certain underwriters, ultimately it is their rules, therefore their decision.

Quote:
allowed the 'priviledge' ( excuse the pun ) of freely advertising on this forum !!
With respect, you have raised this issue a couple of times but surely this should be an issue to raise with VOC admin.

Quote:
Can't you perhaps hook up with companies who will 'allow' you to represent this 'very large contingent of people' ensuing a not inconsiderable profit in the process ? ....

Again Lloyd, to be fair we do, we can insure the majority and if we can help a member, we will do our very best.

Is there any other insurer out there that will cater for every person out there?
When I run my own details through a popular price comparision site I have many companies that dont quote and some quoting ridiculous sums.. I take this on the chin and only consider the companies who are competitive.

It is unfair to expect an insurer to be able to insure every single risk just because they have an association with your owners club, is that fair to say?

Kind regards

Ollie
Sky Insurance
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 16:57   #26
Guy Incognito

Could it have been the chaps wording that caused offence to Lloyd? Not dleiberately but it is easy when not face to face to miscostrue and inflection or whatever.

As far as I can see the debate is static.

Sky - You guys wont insure everyone due to underwriting rules
Lloyd - You will be able to get a good quotation frm another broker/underwriter

I can't see what you are going to get out of carrying this on.

I am totally playing devils advocate on this and I can see both sides too.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guy Incognito For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 17:03   #27
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
Could it have been the chaps wording that caused offence to Lloyd? Not dleiberately but it is easy when not face to face to miscostrue and inflection or whatever.

Thank you, yes you have hit the 'nail' on the 'head'.

I would 100% agree that this could and should have been explained better originally. I know one thing Jae has done off the back of Lloyds feedback is speak to each customer adviser seperately to try and stop a repeat of this.. Although, to be fair, the activity of this thread and the other has made our phone ring

Ollie
Sky Insurance
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 17:10   #28
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post

Once again guy Incognito you post is both fair and accurate.

Jae

Last edited by skyinsurance_ollie; Aug 20th, 2010 at 17:16.
skyinsurance_ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 17:48   #29
Lloydnoise

Default Well well well *

Would you believe it eh ?,...... i 'finally' got some recognition ...well done to Jae for ensuring that it won't happen 'again' ,...it still dosen't justify the generic / & criterea driven answers on this topic ,....that's what i'm sensing gets under peoples noses .

With regard to the 'gift' of advertising 'here' & the amount of people you ( Sky ) are 'automatically excluding' & upsetting Qllie....perhaps it's something ' you ' should raise with the Admin & perhaps they can issue a statement to all the forum users with their views ?.

I feel i've gave a lot of my precious time to this ( ' Sky & it's approach ? ' post ) whilst going through ' ' unimaginable grief 'at the same time' .

I have been very fair to try & see your points of view while you are being paid ( hopefully well ) to supply which could be seen as these sometimes very vague answers .

With regard to this debate being 'finished' Guy......it's not about only 'my personal position' ,although it takes one to be affected 'personally' to truly understand what a given situation can feel like ! ( i put this up so others could 'share & be aware' whether in agreement or not ' )....
.......i can & will find something better which suits ,..... but it's more about perhaps the nerve this has touched , & the determination & passion which has been offered here seems to donate that .

Let's see if it's finished ? ....is it people ? ....
....& continue to celebrate the 'freedom of speech' we're told we have in this beautiful country .

'Right '...where's the remainder of that Chilean Cab' Sauv' ...tee hee .

' As always ' positives to you all , lloyd .

" Let's look for the good in life,..not the faults "

Last edited by Lloydnoise; Aug 20th, 2010 at 17:56.
Lloydnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 17:54   #30
skyinsurance_ollie
Trader

Quote:

With regard to the 'gift' of advertising 'here' & the amount of people you ( Sky ) are 'automatically excluding' & upsetting Qllie....perhaps it's something ' you ' should raise with the Admin & perhaps they can issue a statement to all the forum users with their views ?.
As I say, I dont think this is our place to do that. If it's something you feel strongly about then feel free, at the end of the day we are providing a service to the club, even if it does exclude a small minority. Maybe the club could find an insurance company that does cater for all, but that may be like finding a unicorn.

Quote:
Let's see if it's finished ? ....is it people ? ....
....& continue to celebrate the 'freedom of speech' we're told we have in this beautiful country .
No problem with a heathly debate, we are here all week (well except weekends) we all need a break, even hateful insurance providers