Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 XC60 Gone crazy (CEM?)

Views : 790

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2023, 12:17   #1
Didgeridont

Default 2011 XC60 Gone crazy (CEM?)

My 2011 D3 XC60 went mad yesterday.

First of all the SRS warning light went on followed by brake failure followed by a few others. The faults clear once the engine is turned off and come back within a few minutes of starting up again.

Having had a good old google it sounds like the CEM may be an issue - hopefully just dirty contact(s) but I'm open to ideas/alternative sources of the issue?

I think I've located the CEM, behind/under the glove box (RHD model) but cannot see how it can be removed and there is no information I can find on CEM removal/location on the XC60 online. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Didgeridont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 16:34   #2
Adrian B

I have similar mess. Light on dash change daily!! Car runs fine if you ignore all the flashing warnings etc.XC60 2012 D5 SE LUX. Booked in again end of April for investigating time. Just had CEM checked and updated using dealer software. Didn't change anything! I am told CEM is probably ok!. They said it could be a few modules! Wait till we investigate! If you go on YouTube look for two men changing the centrally placed blower fan. A big strip down BUT it shows how to access and remove the CEM. please keep us posted...Regards
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian B For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 18:24   #3
Didgeridont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
I have similar mess. Light on dash change daily!! Car runs fine if you ignore all the flashing warnings etc.XC60 2012 D5 SE LUX. Booked in again end of April for investigating time. Just had CEM checked and updated using dealer software. Didn't change anything! I am told CEM is probably ok!. They said it could be a few modules! Wait till we investigate! If you go on YouTube look for two men changing the centrally placed blower fan. A big strip down BUT it shows how to access and remove the CEM. please keep us posted...Regards
Thanks for that Adrian - hopefully going to have my local independent take a look at mine in the next day or two - I've got no indicators, beeping alarms going off so it's basically undriveable...and the worst of it is I can't turn off the radio or change the volume

Lets keep each other in the loop!
Didgeridont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 22:16   #4
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Is the CEM behind the glovebox where the water pipe that feeds rear wash wipe is routed? I'm sure some have had issues with a push fit joint on the water pipe leaking onto electronics behind glovebox causing shorts and electrical gremlins.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=331278

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=331227

Have a look at the above threads.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Mar 15th, 2023 at 22:20.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 17:57   #5
Pkey

Default 2011 XC60 Gone crazy (CEM?)

Hi, did you solve the problem with your Volvo?
I have simillar issues. Break error and SRS. Beside this, car is running. AC, radio, speedometer, windows didn't work when this issue appears.
I have Change already:
Batery, alternator, radio screen, speedometer. All didn't help. Today i try to exchange CEM to exact one, but car wont event start. I read that CEM need to be 'adapted'.
Sorry for my enlgish.

Regards
Pkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:06   #6
ele288

You can't just adapt used CEM, you can clone the unit or purchase brand new and reload with vida online.
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote