Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600124

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2016, 23:32   #1141
Arianne
Premier Member

This is truly the Mother of all threads!

Unbelievable really, will it ever stop?

Arianne
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:33   #1142
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post

Arianne
Definitely right Arrianne. But it is maybe one of the Mother of all Volvo coke ups and will only stop when they properly solve the problem. Difficult to understand why such a highly technical firm could not find this problem during their usual extensive testing, unless they wanted to remove their reliance on Ford & Peugeot (etc group) and rushed the vea out too early?
They will solve the issue, but it does seem to be taking longer than usual.

Last edited by Fantastic; May 21st, 2016 at 01:39. Reason: Cuddent spell Pergoit rite! ☺
Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:47   #1143
spaceman2844

Quote:

Arianne
Can't help thinking that the thread might be useful when owners get into a discussion with Volvo UK about getting the EGR issue fixed properly when out of warranty.

Last edited by spaceman2844; May 21st, 2016 at 11:01.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:31   #1144
Craigy

I've finally had mine looked at after posting on here some time ago, turns out my turtle was not cased by the EGR problem but the MAP sensor in the DPF (which also needed cleaning).
I do quite a mix of mileage, some motorway, but some weeks just 8 miles each day to work. This issue appeared after I had been working in the car (very cold out) with the engine running for both warmth and to keep the laptops charged which probably didn't help.

Mine is not over 20000 miles and hasn't (yet) developed the egr problem.
Old May 21st, 2016, 13:11   #1145
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
Can't help thinking that the thread might be useful when owners get into a discussion with Volvo UK about getting the EGR issue fixed properly when out of warranty.
It certainly will be. A very valuable history of fixes on fixes on fixes before the 'final fix'.
Well, at least, we hope it is final !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 13:16   #1146
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
Definitely right Arrianne. But it is maybe one of the Mother of all Volvo coke ups and will only stop when they properly solve the problem. Difficult to understand why such a highly technical firm could not find this problem during their usual extensive testing, unless they wanted to remove their reliance on Ford & Peugeot (etc group) and rushed the vea out too early?
They will solve the issue, but it does seem to be taking longer than usual.
Volvo's problem is that the solution space is constrained by the need to conform to Euro 6 emissions levels. That may just make it impossible for them to solve the problem completely and may simply result in what they judge to be an acceptable reduction in frequency.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 14:06   #1147
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
Volvo's problem is that the solution space is constrained by the need to conform to Euro 6 emissions levels. That may just make it impossible for them to solve the problem completely and may simply result in what they judge to be an acceptable reduction in frequency.
You could be right but I sincerely hope not for all the VEA long term owners.

I find this a nuisance. Let me explain. Mrs A and I have a crucial early appointment on Tuesday morning. The lad will have taken his car off to work, we are depending upon our lame XC60 to hold out until Thursday when it is booked for the remedial work.

At the moment the car is running alright. But you just don't have confidence that the orange warning light won't turn to a red one. We've had the turtle once on Friday evening.

It's not exactly the stuff one would associate with the Volvo brand - uncertainty. It's a Volvo not a Peugeot 407, with all those electrical glitches.

I suspect it's the DNA of modern cars.

Arianne
Old May 23rd, 2016, 06:07   #1148
roywigzie

V40 d4: Bought used @ 9000.00 miles. 14 plate.
My first egr valve got replaced @ 12,000 miles.
Going in today for a 2nd replacement @ 20,000 miles
dealer tells me "some have been swapped out 3 / 4 times!"
quite pathetic really.
roywigzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:26   #1149
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:
You could be right but I sincerely hope not for all the VEA long term owners.

I find this a nuisance. Let me explain. Mrs A and I have a crucial early appointment on Tuesday morning. The lad will have taken his car off to work, we are depending upon our lame XC60 to hold out until Thursday when it is booked for the remedial work.

At the moment the car is running alright. But you just don't have confidence that the orange warning light won't turn to a red one. We've had the turtle once on Friday evening.

It's not exactly the stuff one would associate with the Volvo brand - uncertainty. It's a Volvo not a Peugeot 407, with all those electrical glitches.

I suspect it's the DNA of modern cars.

Arianne
I completely understand your dilemma. I read the early part of this thread whilst my own car was on order and dithered about whether to cancel. The more I read about the EGR technique the more I realise how flawed it is in engineering terms.

I know that the Jaguar Ingenium uses AdBlue but I'm not sure about the 3litre V6 which is an older design. Since Euro 6 is very new there could easily be a problem lurking there too because Jaguar waited to the last minute to state that their engines were Euro 6 compliant. If the 3L V6 does not use AdBlue, my understanding is that the only way to achieve Euro 6 is by use of more aggressive EGR. Frying pan? Fire? The same line of argument could also apply to the Euro 6 variant of the Volvo 2.4L D5.

I am committed to my XC60 for 5 years, with a 5 year Volvo warranty, and can only hope that a "good enough" fix is sufficient.

Last edited by GuidoBrunetti; May 23rd, 2016 at 10:32.
GuidoBrunetti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GuidoBrunetti For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:31   #1150
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
I completely understand your dilemma. I read the early part of this thread whilst my own car was on order and dithered about whether to cancel. The more I read about the EGR technique the more I realise how flawed it is in engineering terms.

I know that the Jaguar Ingenium uses AdBlue but I'm not sure about the 3litre V6 which is an older design. Since Euro 6 is very new there could easily be a problem lurking there too because Jaguar waited to the last minute to state that their engines were Euro 6 compliant. If the 3L V6 does not use AdBlue, my understanding is that the only way to achieve Euro 6 is by use of more aggressive EGR. Frying pan? Fire?

I am committed to my XC60 for 5 years, with a 5 year Volvo warranty, and can only hope that a "good enough" fix is sufficient.
Adblue comes to volvo with 2017 model year shortly !

The EGR on the VEA engines is used 65% more of the time than on previous engines ...