Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'add 0.5L' oil level warning

Views : 26672

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:51   #41
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I am absolutely against it 100%. Manually a dipstick is a tube with a rod pushed in. How does it fail? How do you misread it? Putting electrical sensors in and having them calibrated is absurd. I would go as far as to say I wouldn’t want a vehicle with that set up.
While I really want to disagree with you and your Fred Dibnah-like yearning for a primitive dipstick, the apparently unreliable and/or inconsistent manner in which Volvo have implemented an electronic substitute in the VEA engine means that I am currently forced to agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you can top it up yourself , it tells you how much to put in .. The only trouble encountered with these gauges in my experience is when they have been neglected by the person who is doing the oil change by not following the correct procedure .. . The vast majority have no problems the ones that do seem to congregate here which gives a false impression of real world reliability.
With the old dipstick system by the time the oil PRESSURE ( not level) light came on it was very close to too late .
I was told by the system to put in 0.5L and the guage showed the level to be below minimum. Instead I added only 0.25L and the gauge then jumped up all the way to maximum... obviously this monitoring system cannot be trusted. However I take your point that people with car problems (and people who like to whinge) are disproportionately represented on car forums.

There are several reports on the forum of people dutifully obeying repeat instructions to add 0.5L of engine oil, then being informed by their dealer that they have overfilled the sump. Again, this does suggest that the monitoring system is unfit for purpose.

It is hard for me to believe that a Volvo dealer could either fail to correctly reset the system or to have added the wrong volume of oil at the last service. Nor how either of those failings could properly explain the issue that I have recently suffered.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:32   #42
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
While I really want to disagree with you and your Fred Dibnah-like yearning for a primitive dipstick, the apparently unreliable and/or inconsistent manner in which Volvo have implemented an electronic substitute in the VEA engine means that I am currently forced to agree with you.

I was told by the system to put in 0.5L and the guage showed the level to be below minimum. Instead I added only 0.25L and the gauge then jumped up all the way to maximum... obviously this monitoring system cannot be trusted. However I take your point that people with car problems (and people who like to whinge) are disproportionately represented on car forums.

There are several reports on the forum of people dutifully obeying repeat instructions to add 0.5L of engine oil, then being informed by their dealer that they have overfilled the sump. Again, this does suggest that the monitoring system is unfit for purpose.

It is hard for me to believe that a Volvo dealer could either fail to correctly reset the system or to have added the wrong volume of oil at the last service. Nor how either of those failings could properly explain the issue that I have recently suffered.
Assuming you still do not know what the actual oil level in your sump is, are you going to take the car in for the main dealer to check? It will be interesting to know what they say!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 12:59   #43
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
Assuming you still do not know what the actual oil level in your sump is, are you going to take the car in for the main dealer to check? It will be interesting to know what they say!
Correct, I still do not know... I agree it would be interesting, but there's no way I'm going to go to the trouble and cost of taking the car to a main dealer to find out! If I really feel the need, then I'll carefully drain it myself and accurately measure the volume. However I shall mention this at the next service, as perhaps there's a software update?

Either my car has used/lost a small amount of oil and - despite the inconsistent indications - the monitoring system has responded to this, OR the oil level has remained safely within limits and the monitoring system has given a false alarm. I think it very unlikely that my car is both losing/using oil and has simultaneously developed a fault with the electronic dipstick, so I'm not going to panic... Yet.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 08:02   #44
piotrek

Quote:
I was told by the system to put in 0.5L and the guage showed the level to be below minimum. Instead I added only 0.25L and the gauge then jumped up all the way to maximum...
What level in mm does Car Scanner ELM OBD2 show now? Jumped to max, or increased just a little?
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 12:24   #45
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
What level in mm does Car Scanner ELM OBD2 show now? Jumped to max, or increased just a little?
Now 23.85mm so, according to the VIDA data you posted, I should be getting the amber warning and 'add 0.5L' message, but my eDipstick is reading 'max'. I don't think that the app is accurate, maybe there's an offset that needs to be applied to the presented figure? Just after the next oil change (when I can assume the level to be the nominal service figure) I'll note the car scanner figure and assume a fixed offset figure.

I'd be interested in knowing what reading you get?

Last edited by Zebster; Apr 23rd, 2019 at 13:28.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 14:21   #46
piotrek

Car Scanner seems to show correct value, maybe there is some tolerance in the system. Try checking the oil level on cold engine or 5 minutes after the engine was shut off on flat surface.

I found on other forums that electronic gauge has some latency, it cannot immediately recognise new oil level after topping up or draining - it takes 3 driving cycles or at least 30 km drive and 2 hours rest on flat surface for DIM to display new oil level - until these conditions are fulfilled "oil level not available" will be shown.

The optimal level after oil change should be cca. 37 mm (+- 4 mm).
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 14:56   #47
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
Car Scanner seems to show correct value, maybe there is some tolerance in the system. Try checking the oil level on cold engine or 5 minutes after the engine was shut off on flat surface.

I found on other forums that electronic gauge has some latency, it cannot immediately recognise new oil level after topping up or draining - it takes 3 driving cycles or at least 30 km drive and 2 hours rest on flat surface for DIM to display new oil level - until these conditions are fulfilled "oil level not available" will be shown.

The optimal level after oil change should be cca. 37 mm (+- 4 mm).
Thanks, I'll do as you suggest and provide an update.

I do seem to be a long way off 37mm though!
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 15:37   #48
Craig S

My experience of the electronic oil level indicator is that it is a switch.

It can read maximum on one oil check..... and give no reading the following time I use it. The first time this happened was after an egr issue. I had checked the oil prior to a 150 mile journey and it read full. The EML came on, which transpired to be the EGR Cooler error code. So after stopping the car when I got home the electronic oil level indicator was providing a no reading.

Admittedly it wasn't asking for oil but it went from full to below minimum in around 150 miles of largely motorway driving.

The sensor is not fit for purpose.

Last edited by Craig S; Apr 24th, 2019 at 16:06.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 17:10   #49
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

What a great system
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 16:07   #50
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-E...MAAOSwK3lcryeg

Cheapest I could find. Description is inaccurate but confirmed it is the Volvo 0-20. Shows only 1 left not sure if he is getting any more.