Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intank fuel pump

Views : 7603

Replies : 227

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2019, 11:31   #91
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

A well chosen / recommended garage might be less expensive than, some options.

But the methodical approach from Kay might well be your good way forward.

Good luck.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 15:38   #92
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
on the uther hand i could just get it towed away to my nearest garage and let the garage sort it out but that would be far to easy and expensive.and this way is much more fun and a bit of a learning experiance for me so im winning all round.will be checking the timing later
atco no disrespect to you and your dilemma but what might be "fun" to you is a bit of an insult to the guys trying their hardest with time and advice to get you back on the road as cheaply as possible.
In all my years of experience with Volvo models they don't normally throw up so many prob's after an exhaust back fire or whatever you called it.
As one can see from the amount of posts there's some very talented and loyal advice on here.
My advice is go back to square one with your memory on what actually happened initially and TRY and retrace what you did piece by piece......pulling leads, changing wires and creating assumptions is what we called "hope and poke engineering" in the trade and is no excuse for cautious examination of all symptoms prior to dismantling ANYTHING.
If l lived nearby l would try and help BUT l draw the line at creating work when it's not needed......have you looked at the Codes (jumper wire and LED unit under the bonnet) or have you got the later model, l can't remember if you mentioned the year.......it's been a long weekend !!......Happy Days.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 17:19   #93
atco

Default fuel pump

thanks for the reply omc its a 89 on the reg and i seem to think it has a code reader.if you think its going to help.got eny photos as to what im looking for and how to use.ive checked the timing marks today to find if they all line up on the pullys and yes they seem to be correct and line up on the top belt and lines up with the bottom mark on crank with the big 24m nut which is o on the plastic bottom case.yes ive gone back in my head as to what ive replaced since the backbox opened up because thats where it started from.what i did not no is having replaced the fuel pump because it was making a terable noise before i replaced it i changed the old pump and relay .now while ive been trying to start this car i think the new pump has packed up due to no fuel going thro it.now i have put a new pump on again it still not starting so if ive got a fuel starvasion prob not getting fuel to the engine should i might take of the fuel lead under the car just past the pump to find if there is fuel coming from the tank
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 17:28   #94
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
atco no disrespect to you and your dilemma but what might be "fun" to you is a bit of an insult to the guys trying their hardest with time and advice to get you back on the road as cheaply as possible.
In all my years of experience with Volvo models they don't normally throw up so many prob's after an exhaust back fire or whatever you called it.
As one can see from the amount of posts there's some very talented and loyal advice on here.
My advice is go back to square one with your memory on what actually happened initially and TRY and retrace what you did piece by piece......pulling leads, changing wires and creating assumptions is what we called "hope and poke engineering" in the trade and is no excuse for cautious examination of all symptoms prior to dismantling ANYTHING.
If l lived nearby l would try and help BUT l draw the line at creating work when it's not needed......have you looked at the Codes (jumper wire and LED unit under the bonnet) or have you got the later model, l can't remember if you mentioned the year.......it's been a long weekend !!......Happy Days.
On another forum i'm on, we recently added a "Clap Hands" emoji in the "Reaction button" area. On this forum we have a simple "Thanks" button, on this other forum there is "Angry" (for, not at the poster of the post you are reacting to), Sad, Confused, Like/Thumbs-Up/simple thanks and a Trophy to express "big thanks".
The Clap Hands emoji was intended as "i wholeheartedly agree with what you've just said and fully endorse it".

I said several posts up what i'm 99% certain the problem is, either contaminated fuel from standing or the timing belt has jumped or teeth shredded because of standing.
This has been going on for months though one way or another.

As for reading the codes, there are none to read, it's a B230E with K-Jetronic injection, purely mechanical. Yes, there are one or two electromechanical bits such as the warm up timer and cold start injector but the rest is purely mechanical.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 17:32   #95
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
thanks for the reply omc its a 89 on the reg and i seem to think it has a code reader.if you think its going to help.got eny photos as to what im looking for and how to use.ive checked the timing marks today to find if they all line up on the pullys and yes they seem to be correct and line up on the top belt and lines up with the bottom mark on crank with the big 24m nut which is o on the plastic bottom case.yes ive gone back in my head as to what ive replaced since the backbox opened up because thats where it started from.what i did not no is having replaced the fuel pump because it was making a terable noise before i replaced it i changed the old pump and relay .now while ive been trying to start this car i think the new pump has packed up due to no fuel going thro it.now i have put a new pump on again it still not starting so if ive got a fuel starvasion prob not getting fuel to the engine should i might take of the fuel lead under the car just past the pump to find if there is fuel coming from the tank
If you can read codes off a 1989 B230E, i can't help anymore.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 18:10   #96
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

.what i did not no is having replaced the fuel pump because it was making a terable noise before i replaced it i changed the old pump and relay .now while ive been trying to start this car i think the new pump has packed up due to no fuel going thro it.now i have put a new pump on again it still not starting

NOOOOOOOOOO

Throw parts in and waste your money.

If you can't read and follow instructions of people who are involved in this cars and kind of owners I can't help you.

A help for other members would be if you are able to post the result

I wish you a lot of luck, you will need a lot.
Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 18:39   #97
atco

Default fuel pump

youve asked me to check the timing and have checked the marks on the pullys today and all line up.hopfully will get the meths delivered tomorrow and then have another go
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 19:31   #98
omc 47
VOC Member

I said several posts up what i'm 99% certain the problem is, either contaminated fuel from standing or the timing belt has jumped or teeth shredded because of standing.
This has been going on for months though one way or another.

As for reading the codes, there are none to read, it's a B230E with K-Jetronic injection, purely mechanical. Yes, there are one or two electromechanical bits such as the warm up timer and cold start injector but the rest is purely mechanical. [/QUOTE]

Sorry Dave l obviously missed the model info on this one so code info is not available...........

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 20:04   #99
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi Dave,

can't PM you for some reason, could you PM me a contact no for you please?

thanks Andy
Old May 27th, 2019, 20:40   #100
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Has to be done - happy one-hundredth post ya'll!

aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post: