Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intank fuel pump

Views : 7670

Replies : 227

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2019, 22:13   #151
aardvarkash10
Master Member

150 posts in, the falliblity of parts replacement diagnosis becomes even more apparent.

Lets review:

A mechanic who didn't use any diagnostic techniques advised ot replace the fuel relay.

It didn't help.

The owner then replaced the fuel pump on an assumption it was damaged.

It did not help.

Confusion about the engine type and its systems led to discussions about ignition and fuel compoennts not relevant to the engine type. Some ignition components were replaced.

It didn't help.

Discussion about valve timing ensued with much confusion.

It didn't help.

Discussion about water in the fuel ensued.

It didn't help.

Here's a list of the facts we have about the operating condition of the engine including measured voltages and pressures.

- we have none.

This doesn't help.

I now weigh almost 2.35kg more than at the start of this thread and I attribute this to the amount of popcorn I have consumed. I say this because I measured and there is a reasonable causal connection.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 22:26   #152
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
150 posts in, the falliblity of parts replacement diagnosis becomes even more apparent.

Lets review:

A mechanic who didn't use any diagnostic techniques advised ot replace the fuel relay.

It didn't help.

The owner then replaced the fuel pump on an assumption it was damaged.

It did not help.

Confusion about the engine type and its systems led to discussions about ignition and fuel compoennts not relevant to the engine type. Some ignition components were replaced.

It didn't help.

Discussion about valve timing ensued with much confusion.

It didn't help.

Discussion about water in the fuel ensued.

It didn't help.

Here's a list of the facts we have about the operating condition of the engine including measured voltages and pressures.

- we have none.

This doesn't help.

I now weigh almost 2.35kg more than at the start of this thread and I attribute this to the amount of popcorn I have consumed. I say this because I measured and there is a reasonable causal connection.
You forgot the rest Ash :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/searc...archid=4920812

Back to October last year - read, assimilate, conclude.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 22:47   #153
omc 47
VOC Member

atco.......this is not good news!!......l've spent a lot of time wading through the posts as they have appeared and followed progress to the enth' degree and now after reading the latest news I can only feel more confused and lost in the fudge of diagnosis and misdiagnosis and have reached a point which suggests for you call in a PROFESSIONAL.
So many parts have been changed that l don't think even the car knows which bits are good or not good.
Basic mechanics of a 4 stroke engine "suck,sqeeze,bang,blow" are clearly not operating and somewhere in the detail something (or now many things) are in need of thorough testing.
To quote Morecambe & Wise "Your playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order".

I USED TO BE INDICISIVE BUT NOW I'M NOT SO SURE.........
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 23:35   #154
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There's something either incredibly simple or incredibly complicated. Without having the car in front of me with tools and diagnostic kit including feeler gauges to check the plug gaps (wouldn't be the first time on here the 0.70mm plug gap had been set to 0.070" or 1.75mm by someone not versed in the art of feeler gauges), check all HT leads are feeding the correct pugs, the carbon bush is intact, king lead correctly fitted, HT leads correct terminations for the cap/coil, timing belt correctly fitted, manifold air leaks, splits in or loose rubber sock between K-Jet distributor and throttle body and a whole host of other things that need checking - in other words get right back to basics and get someone who knows the K-Jet system and Volvos.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 06:53   #155
aardvarkash10
Master Member

OMFG.

Its hard to believe we are the same species that managed to get man to the moon 50 years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 07:53   #156
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
OMFG.

Its hard to believe we are the same species that managed to get man to the moon 50 years ago.
And back..................!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 08:10   #157
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
OMFG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
And back..................!!
I have a slight problem believing we actually got to the moon and back. Certain things that have been suggested about Van Halens Belt and the materials used in the craft don't tally up.
That said, the people that propose this theory have also suggested the reason we've only been to the moon once was because we were warned off by aliens who inhabit the moon.

The big "deal-breaker" for me are some of the photos released by NASA show shadows from the flags for example - 4 shadows in different directions, almost as if taken in a studio.................

Old Jun 7th, 2019, 09:57   #158
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I have a slight problem believing we actually got to the moon and back. ...

The big "deal-breaker" for me are some of the photos released by NASA show shadows from the flags for example - 4 shadows in different directions, almost as if taken in a studio.................
Yeah, because an entire system built to dupe the world into thinking man landed on the moon when really they barely left an abandoned movie lot 40km out of Las Vegas would over-look a complex thing like shadows in a photo...

Meanwhile, a little Volvo cries.
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 22:32   #159
atco

Default fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The only reason for that is either the fuel pump relay is faulty or the ignition system is not providing sparks , The coil pulses which produce the spark also keep the fuel pump relay closed . As you had a few back fires before it stopped i suspect the sparks department .
ive by past the fuel pump and the car is starting .you mentioned that the problem might be either spark to which i have and the fuel relay seems ok because the car is starting
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 22:45   #160
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atco View Post
ive by past the fuel pump and the car is starting .you mentioned that the problem might be either spark to which i have and the fuel relay seems ok because the car is starting
atco your statement is confusing, which bit is bypassed as you have a working relay and assumingly a fuel pump that delivers fuel....?
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post: