Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power seat movement ... slow, intermittent.

Views : 972

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2019, 13:17   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Something is jammed there!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 14:03   #12
maxPower

I removed the cables from the motor and manually turned each one with pliers.

The rail on the drivers side left is able to move all the way up and back. Sounds pretty gritty in there, I'd like to clean it out.

The rail on the drivers side right moves all the way back, then stops where the chair has been failing under power. It looks like I'll have to remove that to get a crack at whatever's going on mechanically. I can't see anything despite my numerous attempts with headlights, flashlights, poking and prodding etc.
maxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxPower For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 14:03   #13
maxPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Something is jammed there!

I think you're right.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 14:52   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxPower View Post
The rail on the drivers side right moves all the way back, then stops where the chair has been failing under power. It looks like I'll have to remove that to get a crack at whatever's going on mechanically. I can't see anything despite my numerous attempts with headlights, flashlights, poking and prodding etc.
Think that's your answer, if it won't move by hand, it won't move under power either!. For the record, those 9xx electric seats are different to the 760 seats which is what i based my earlier comments on. Sorry for the confusion!

Bear in mind those motors are a similar size/power to wiper and/or electric window motors, have you ever tried stopping either a wiper or electric window by hand? It's not easy!

If something is stopping that rail from moving then it's obviously enough to cause a major problem. Could be a small stone/piece of large grit, or several small pieces that are bunching up at a certain point to creat a wedge.

Meticulous cleaning sounds like the only answer, testing each bit by hand so that you know it should all work together.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 15:54   #15
maxPower

Laird, thank you for your camaraderie through this. I am going to take the rail apart when I get back from taking my son for his Dr. checkup and I will report back on what I fix
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 02:34   #16
maxPower

Wow.

So Instead of taking it apart I tried cleaning it again first because it looks like a mess to get apart and back together again.

After about an hours, something must have dislodged because the driver side left rail was able to be moved all the way forward!!! This was using pliers to twist the cable.

I figured I had it solved.

I aligned the track per the FAQ at brickboard and then started putting the motors back into the brackets and making sure the cables were installed properly.

After it was all back together - only the seat back works properly.

The rest of the motors make a grinding noise.

I took it apart and tried to move it again manually, things worked fine.

Hooked just one motor up (back of seat raise / lower) and tried it. Same noise, not moving. Like it's jammed. Removed the pin I put in to lengthen the cable, thinking it was interfering somehow. Same behavior.

Here's a video of what's going on: https://streamable.com/iaf0g
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 02:41   #17
maxPower

I just tested a pattern I found. Power functions work better for just a bit after it's been disconnected from a battery. Then they work momentarily and go out.

They start to move as normally, then the motor starts making that grinding noise. The movements aren't hitting a top/bottom height, this is mid-range.

Does this make any sense?
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 13:18   #18
maxPower

Came down this morning and this is what I saw:
https://streamable.com/l575a

Seat front up/down worked fine as expected! Then, performance went away. I'm thinking it's an electrical issue.

I investigated the computer yesterday for clues. Looked to be in great shape visually.

I'm going to the junkyard today, maybe I can grab another seat to swap out parts and continue to test.

If anyone has any ideas to deliver me from this misery.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 13:30   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Out of interest, did you test the seat in the breakers/junk yard before removing it? I'm wondering if that was part of the reason it was in there. Not sure about the laws where you live but here in the UK we have to have an MoT each year which is a safety test for want of a better expression. If the drivers seat can't be adjusted so the driver can reach the pedals etc then it's a fail point. It's possible if a similar rule exists where you are that this is why the car was in the yard and you struck unlucky with it.

That aside, the symptoms you suggest point to a fault in the ECU - the big flat box underneath the seat. If you (or someone you know) knows about electronics, it might pay to have a look inside for dry joints.

Just read your latest post about going for another seat - that might be the answer. If it works, you can swap the cushions and/or covers to get the colour scheme you want/need so colour isn't important.

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 17:19   #20
maxPower

I found a driver seat, manual, from a 740.

Local Volvo indie told me I can swap the cushions and cover over to . Anyone disagree before I spend my afternoon on it? 😀