Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what next?.......

Views : 1546

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 22:29   #1
bobcat
Premier Member

Having been a while since ive done any serious upgrades\mods to my car im starting to think about what my next one is gonna be for the summer, This will be on top of replacing my evaporator.

so far ive come up with a list of possible mods:

1) a set of IPD swaybars, seems a very good mod from those that have them. but will have to get them from the states and could end up over £300 with postage and taxes. Should reduce bodyroll and allow me to run the shocks softer for a better and more controlled ride.

2) Big brake upgrade, was up at swautos on when with siamblue on wed and caught a glimpse of some massive Porsche calipers that they are gonna start offering in a big brake kit, on an initial quote they are gonna be miles cheaper than the ap ones, lets just say you could probably buy 2 kits for the price of the ap's. My 302's are good, but ive heard good things about the BBK's.

3) custom 2.5" swautos IC (cause i wanna keep the condensor), that will be a direct drop in for the stock one (will just need to move the condensor forward).will have larger in and out connectors to match the larger throttle body ive got. Also would get a larger set of reverse IC Pipes made up.

place your choices now!!!!!!

and if you have any other idea's then let me know.

Thanks.

here is a list of my current mods:

Volvo 850R Auto,163K,Rica Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,Osram 50% Silverstars upfront,ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 23:56   #2
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Hi Matt your brakes are fine, I would go for the I/C mod, get more cold air into the engine,

Gary.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 14:20   #3
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE
Hi Matt your brakes are fine, I would go for the I/C mod, get more cold air into the engine,

Gary.
yeah, i thinks thats gonna be my first choice, the ipd bars would be good but they can come later, plus i want to do some more custom stuff.

does anyone know what sort of pressure drops you get accross the std IC running around 1.2 bar?
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 14:57   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
that will be a direct drop in for the stock one (will just need to move the condensor forward).will have larger in and out connectors to match the larger throttle body ive got. Also would get a larger set of reverse IC Pipes made up.
Hi Matt.
Can I just ask, how can something be a drop in replacement if you have to modify something else, however slightly, to get it to fit?
I say this because my ears pricked up when you said that SW make a custom drop in replacement for the IC, only to then say you have to move the condenser to fit it and it will have bigger pipe attachments.
I know Stuart would probably sort all that as he fits it, but by definition it is not a 'drop in' replacment with so much needing to be altered.
Have fun with whichever you choose to do though.
Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 15:20   #5
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Matt.
Can I just ask, how can something be a drop in replacement if you have to modify something else, however slightly, to get it to fit?
I say this because my ears pricked up when you said that SW make a custom drop in replacement for the IC, only to then say you have to move the condenser to fit it and it will have bigger pipe attachments.
I know Stuart would probably sort all that as he fits it, but by definition it is not a 'drop in' replacment with so much needing to be altered.
Have fun with whichever you choose to do though.
Later,
Dan.
yeah i see your point, but i mean by a drop in replacement that it will have the same 2d design as the stock one and will use the same mounting points and the hoses will connect the same as they do with the stock one (even though they will have a bigger ID for better flow and reduced pressure drop.

the bigger in and out will be my choosing, if you really wanted then you could have them the same size as the std one and the same core thickness, then the condensor could stay in the same place and thus it would be a drop in. But as everything is bolted to the rad, even with the bigger core everything will still bolt up.

i used the "drop in" term as not to confuse it with the custom FMIC's where you have to make new brackets, reroute piping and often loose surface area.

so basically the new IC will be a drop in, but the condensor will just sit further forward.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 16:01   #6
sholtby
Premier Member

Atrer reading your mods you seem to have everything covered ie performance, braking, suspension. I think I'd just settle for what you have got. How much of a difference in performance will a bigger intercooler give as the standard one is quite large?
The one thing I would highly recommend which I notice you dont have is HID dipped headlight bulbs.

Simon
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 16:25   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
yeah i see your point, but i mean by a drop in replacement that it will have the same 2d design as the stock one and will use the same mounting points and the hoses will connect the same as they do with the stock one (even though they will have a bigger ID for better flow and reduced pressure drop.

the bigger in and out will be my choosing, if you really wanted then you could have them the same size as the std one and the same core thickness, then the condensor could stay in the same place and thus it would be a drop in. But as everything is bolted to the rad, even with the bigger core everything will still bolt up.

i used the "drop in" term as not to confuse it with the custom FMIC's where you have to make new brackets, reroute piping and often loose surface area.

so basically the new IC will be a drop in, but the condensor will just sit further forward.
Hi.
I see what you mean now, cheers.

Dan.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 16:44   #8
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

The I/C Bobcat is looking at is 3 times more efficient than the standard one,
So it is a good mod,

Gary.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 16:55   #9
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE
The I/C Bobcat is looking at is 3 times more efficient than the standard one,
So it is a good mod,

Gary.
Hi Gary.
How can that be if it is barely any bigger than the standard one? Something internal?
The standard one is pretty efficient mind. Even after a hard run, my top intercooler pipe is almost cool to the touch.
Later,
Dan.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 17:13   #10
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Gary.
How can that be if it is barely any bigger than the standard one? Something internal?
The standard one is pretty efficient mind. Even after a hard run, my top intercooler pipe is almost cool to the touch.
Later,
Dan.
the core will be over twice as thick, and will be a more efficient bar\plate type. Ive seen smaller ones of the same design that will flow over 1000cfm at .5 psi drop.

a bigger ic will not only cool the air better, but with a lower drop across it, it will allow the turbo to run a few psi less.

even the volvo ones are pretty efficient at around 80%+ i believe, a decent bar\plate one is a few % of 100.

the volvo IC's are ok, but they have a quite a high pressure drop, which means they dont flow very well, so your turbo is working harder to overcome this and thus heating the air more.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop

Last edited by bobcat; Mar 14th, 2006 at 17:19.