Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Late V50 advice

Views : 2777

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2016, 01:01   #1
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Default Late V50 advice

So ladies and gents, there is a possibility that in a couple of months time I will be looking for a V50 to replace the A4 and bring me back to Volvo land!!! In a nutshell I've been trying to get decent quotes for PCH and PCP's on a new V40 but the mileages are always so prohibitive and I do so many it's not feasible really so I'm thinking a very late V50 simply because I don't get on with the V60, can't accurately explain why, I just don't get on with them so an 11/12 reg V50 is on the cards, or maybe another P3 as in a V70 DRIVe but they are more money and once again, MPG is a priority. We have sold our large twin axle caravan and are downsizing to an Elddis Xplore 304 (probably one of the dealer specials actually but the same van) which weighs 1086kg fully loaded so all V50's could pull it.

I've had a C30 and an S40 and I liked them both, but the C30 was a boggo one and the S40 a really early one and I've noticed on a great many cars I'm looking at which are all SE Lux or highly optioned SE's that many of them don't have a height adjustable passenger seat which I think is a bit tight and also many are missing the cruicial winter pack (that's an essential!!), so I wonder if any of you have gone from an early model to a newer one and can advise me on what changed, I know as the P3 cars got newer they felt cheaper but my 08MY was a lovely interior and I know a 50 won't be that kind of quality inside from my 2 previous Volvo's.

Also I wonder what connectivity the audio system has, I know they all should have an aux port at the age I'm looking at but do they have USB connections like my XC70 had or do they not have that? I'd like a full iPod connection if possible. I'm aware many of them have Bluetooth and sat nav, is the nav a decent system or is it useless?? My C30 didn't have any cup holders, is that a boggo thing or do none of them have any?

One last thing is engine wise, I'm honing in on a 1.6 DRIVe 115 6 speed as I've had many PSA engined cars before and all have been faultless and I'm wary of the Volvo engines from my experience in the XC70 and C70, always had better luck with my Ford/PSA engined Volvo's, what are people getting really world MPG from the later 8 valve DRIVe models?? I've had good results from the old 110 bhp 16 valve units before.

Any other pointers, comments, advice on the 50 would be greatly appreciated, I have a (financed) budget of £10,000 which puts loads of cars in reach or in cash could probably go as high as £5000 which isn't enough for what I'm after and I want a nice one this time, preferably a SELEKT used one with a decent warranty!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sasha94; Aug 18th, 2016 at 01:03.
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 14:07   #2
iainmd

Don't buy a V50 DRIVe if you want to tow a caravan.

1. It's lowered and the towball weight of towing a van coupled with a full boot bottoms out the rear suspension.
2. It's got just enough power for 2 adults, 2 children and a full boot and even then it struggles. Caravan.... no chance would I tow one with our V50 DRIVe.
3. The max towing weight for the DRIVe is significantly less than all other models.

I'm contemplating replacing the entire DRIVe suspension setup with standard to negate some of the above issues.

I'd suggest a D3, D4 or D5. Given the requirement for a mix of economy and towing the D4 would be my pick if you can find one.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 14:45   #3
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

I had a look at that and I found out the D2 based 1.6D DRIVe model isn't any lower than an R-Design apparently and the stiffer suspension helps when towing. I would also consider a regular D2 model if I found one. The towball weight is the same across the V50 range and the weight limit is 1300kgs which isn't far off 85% of the kerbweight anyway so I would have thought they'd be OK. I used to tow a heavier van with a 16 valve 1.6 PSA engined 307 and it towed fine I thought thanks to the gearing which is much more suited to towing than the Volvo 5 cylinder engines which I found I had to knock down to 5th constantly when towing. I only put the Dog and the Cat(s now!) in the boot of the car, all other stuff either goes in the van or around the back seats as there's only me, my wife and out 1 year old.

I understand the concern though, I am a little worried that 115bhp wouldn't be enough for me anymore after the cars I've had but I had a 4.4 V8 BMW X5 when I was 19 which had 282bhp which I replaced with a 1.4 90bhp Peugeot 307 haha.

I'm really put off by a Volvo engined Volvo due to the terrible reliablity issues I've had with them and the vast expense of putting them right. I'd really rather stick to a PSA engined one, I know them inside out and they are easy to maintain. I'd have thought it'd be fine. Practical Caravan magazine tow much larger vans with this engine in bigger cars and they say it's fine so I'd have to find out for myself I suppose.

I'm struggling to find a D3 with the spec I want in budget, the D4 I hear only produces the extra power at the top of the rev range in any case so I'm not fussed either or. The D5 was phased out before the 3rd facelift I believe so I'm not really looking for another one of them (my last D5 was crap on diesel and this needs to be good as I'm back up to 30k a year miles again!!).

I can find more V70's with the D3 and D4 engines and a D4 manual is £30 tax (some of them) but that pushes the budget up again. Option 3 is £5k outright on a nice late 2.0D. I've found a lovely one but I'm not ready to buy yet!! Damn it!

Also should add that I could always use my Dad's Discovery 3 like I used to when the turbo went on my XC70 should I buy a DRIVe and find it no good for towing.

Last edited by Sasha94; Aug 18th, 2016 at 14:56.
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 15:31   #4
Leo Kalme

I was considering 1.6D at one point but now that I think about it, I definitely would not want to step down from 2.0D - plenty of power, engine is quite reliable and easy to work with and about as economic as 1.6D is.
Leo Kalme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Kalme For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 16:42   #5
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
I had a look at that and I found out the D2 based 1.6D DRIVe model isn't any lower than an R-Design apparently and the stiffer suspension helps when towing.
Our V50 DRIVe (Efficiency Chassis) sits lower than our S40 T5 (Dynamic Chassis) but the springs on a DRIVe are not stiff by comparison. I towed a 1250Kg boat with it from Edinburgh to Glasgow and its backside was on the ground. Every bump in the road the suspension hit the bump stops. I assumed, wrongly, at the time that the max towing weight was 1300Kg when in fact it's 800Kg! It was downright dangerous. The brakes weren't up to stopping such a load and it felt like the boat was driving the car.

Quote:
I would also consider a regular D2 model if I found one.
The 8v D2 is broadly comparable to the older 1.6D (16v) in terms of performance. Still, IMO too gutless to tow anything other than a light trailer.

Quote:
The towball weight is the same across the V50 range and the weight limit is 1300kgs
The towball weight might be the same across the range but but the towing weight isn't. See here:
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/v50...list_Jan09.pdf
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/v50...1Pricelist.pdf
Braked max towing weights
1.6D DRIVe - 800Kg
D2 & D2 based DRIVe - 1300Kg
1.6 Petrol - 1200Kg
2.0 Petrol - 1350Kg
2.0D/T5/D3/D4/D5 - 1500Kg

At the end of the day it's your choice but DRIVe suspension and a 1.6D (whether 16v or 8v) would be a poor tow car. I've driven both and the engines simply aren't up to towing a decent weight. The DRIVe suspension setup is certainly not suited to it.

I plan on replacing the springs and dampers on our V50 DRIVe with bilstein B4, standard front springs and heavy duty rear springs. Even with a full boot and roof box the back end is currently on the ground.

D3, D4 or 2.0D would be a much better choice especially as the front brakes are larger.

Just my 2p worth as a current owner.

Last edited by iainmd; Aug 18th, 2016 at 16:45.
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 18:31   #6
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

I didn't know about the brakes, that swings the balance back over. I am loathe to go for a Volvo engined one so I'm still considering a 1.6 or possibly one of the last 2.0D PSA cars.

Engines aside for a moment though it's the trim levels that are getting me, how much cheapening down was done with these cars toward the end? That's more my concern tbh.

I have looked and have found a 61 plate D3 Geartronic that could be a contender but it's right at the top of the budget and doesn't have the winter pack which is a must. Has everything else though including keyless go, xenons, sat nav, Bluetooth etc but it's the only one I like. A great many D3's I'm finding are low spec ES or basic R-Design ones and I won't have a povvo spec car for £10k.

I may not tow with the car anyway, my concern is more the spec and build quality of the 3rd facelift V50's. Also many cars are listed as having a USB port, is that the case as dealers are really vague in this respect!

Thanks again
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 21:49   #7
iainmd

I certainly feel the build quality reduced slightly between the 1st and 2nd generation of the phase 2. My 2004 S40 generally feels more solid than the 2009 V50. That said, the S40 has a 5 cylinder turbocharged petrol engine with an excellent getrag M66 gearbox. The v50 has a much lower quality ford gearbox (the worst part of the car. fords gearboxes feel really budget and the gear change is really imprecise) and a rough diesel engine by comparison to a 5 pot petrol.

I totally see where you're coming from regarding the winter pack. I certainly wouldn't have leather without it. Our v50 is an SE without leather or winter pack and it's passable but I'd rather have heated seats.

Watch out for the USB conundrum. Some cars fitted with Bluetooth had the USB input deleted. Without Bluetooth you normally got USB.

Hope that helps.

Old Aug 18th, 2016, 23:26   #8
Volvophile
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
I certainly feel the build quality reduced slightly between the 1st and 2nd generation of the phase 2. My 2004 S40 generally feels more solid than the 2009 V50.
As someone with lots of experience of these cars, I completely second this.

Place one of the last of the 2012 cars next to an early '04/05 model and there is a definite drop in quality. The leather is more plastic and the whole car somehow became lesser in that Volvo quality feel.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvophile For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 00:25   #9
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Cheers guys, that's a worry as I felt a step up in quality from my early S40 to my XC70 and I have to say the cabin is the best bit of the Audi also so I wouldn't want a cheaper feeling interior. I sort of don't mind losing the leather if it's cheap nasty leather, the leather in the Audi is nice and 100% all sections leather like the S40 was, not leather faced like the XC70 (the only negative of the cabin IMO) so I'm not averse to an R-Design or an SE with T-Tec providing it's in good nick. I'm starting to wonder whether or not another P3 might be better tbh as that was a stunning interior and I don't want the car to feel as cheap as the C30 did but I assumed that was that way because it was a base model. Nice to know about the USB though Still on the hunt to avoid a V60!!
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 07:28   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

Hi Sash,

Here's my quick over view on issues I've come across and things to look for. This just a quick ref jobby only.

I like my V50 and it pulls like a train and the comfort is up to Volvo standards.

V50 buyers guide

Yes.....

1) The AC works, if it's not working or weak don't get fobbed off with a re-gas because it's the Condenser

2) DMF aka clutch is ok. Insist on a good test drive and check for flaring, it means the clutch is slipping. Circa £850 to rectify

3) any misfires or uneven running. If it is, walk away. Possible injectors circa £1400 to rectify

4) front lower arms are ok, look out for play in them.

5) the DPF was changed (if there's one fitted) and the Eloys fluid is topped up

6) The Infotainment system works ok, load a CD plus check the 3.5mm AUX output works. If it's not working ok then get the dealer to fix or walk away. Circa £650 to fix and it's a dealer jobby

7) Timing belt has to be changed at 150k or 10yrs depending on which is first. If they are going to do it make sure they do the water pump too. It runs on the belt.

8) look for warning messages. Anti skid service requires a new ABS unit, circa £650 and it's Gotta be coded to the car

9) Squeaks on the six belt area. Thank can signify a failing alternator or tensioner

10) Check the electric seats are functioning ok.

11) Geartronic... Listen for knocks, bangs or irregular gear shifts. Check manual change too. If in doubt, walk away because it costs thousands to fix.

The 2ltr diesel has got some grunt. I have a pre-DPF model and it pulls like a train. Check for service history preferably with invoices for proof.

There are plenty of V50's out there, if you've got any doubts? Walk away, another one will be along shortly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice, buying, drive, new car, v50