Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 LPT 2.3 problems starting in damp

Views : 6734

Replies : 160

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 20:20   #41
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've not heard that description before but it fits and yes.

I'm seriously wondering if you've got a loose HT lead or worse still (harder to find) a broken one that is causing this.
That's what I was thinking
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 20:21   #42
haymitch

Hmm...the spark plug leads were replaced in November as part of the first attempt to solve the problem along with the distributor cap and the spark plugs themselves. Does the lead from the ignition coil count as an HT lead as well?
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 20:51   #43
haymitch

I'll check that they are attached properly tomorrow though Would I test the spark plug wires themselves with a multi-meter?
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 23:16   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Hmm...the spark plug leads were replaced in November as part of the first attempt to solve the problem along with the distributor cap and the spark plugs themselves. Does the lead from the ignition coil count as an HT lead as well?
Yes, it does - not only does it count, but it is the most important one and called the King or Crown lead! It also does 4 times the mount of work as the others so the chances of it failing are 4 times higher! Also, it is the only one where the ends aren't fixed on the engine - one end is on the dizzy cap, the other is on the coil which is on the body so has more movement to deal with than the others.

As you can see, there are a lot more reasons for it to potentially fail than the other 4 leads. It should have been replaced with the others but if it wasn't or has come loose because it wasn't pushed all the way home, that could well be your problem!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 11:51   #45
haymitch

Ah, I didn't realise that. I had a look at the leads this morning and it turns out the lead from the coil to the distributor has been replaced as well. It's got the same markings and branding as the other leads that were replaced in November.

I took the car to the garage this morning, so I'll see what he says on Monday. He said that it might be a difficult one to diagnose though as I've already tried a lot of the usual things that cause failure so I might be back to square one early next week. The only other thing I can think of is the ignition coil and the maf sensor, but it runs fine once it has got going.

I also can't help but wonder whether the fuel pump relay or coolant temperature sensor have gone again - but I don't want to start throwing parts at it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 12:09   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The fuel pump relay appears to be working - if it wasn't then the pumps wouldn't run.

However all of the evidence is pointing to lack of cold start enrichment. Worth checking your air filter to see if it's dirty, if so, renew it and once renewed, pull fuse #1 for a couple of minutes and then refit it.

Sounds counter-intuitive as a blocked air filter will cause rich running, however this will cause the ECU to alter the fuel trims and make the mixture leaner. For a cold start, it will still enrich the mixture but as a function of how much fuel it decided was needed to run correctly at hot idle. If it has reduced this amount because of a blocked air filter, the cold start enrichment will also be reduced, hence the starting fluid getting it going.

Out of interest, how much meths did you add to the tank in one go a few months ago and what fuel do you usually run on?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 12:21   #47
haymitch

I added four litres of meths and the tank was around 2 / 3 full. The car did get seem to get better after I added it (this was the same time that the coolant temperature sensor was replaced as well though).

I have a spare air filter handily- I got two for the price of one when I bought one off eBay fairly recently. I will try replacing it when I get the car back
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 12:27   #48
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's the right proportion of meths but it might be worth adding say 2L when the level gets down to about 1/4 tank, sometimes if the first lot doesn't get rid of all the condensation it returns a few months later - pain in the Aristotle but does happen.

I'm not ruling out the CTS, i renewed mine some months back with a pattern one but not entirely convinced it's right so i also may have to bite the bullet and get a Bosch one.

If you do swap your air filter, don't forget to pull fuse #1 before you change the air filter and replace it after - this resets the ECUs fuel trims back to factory so gives you a "level playing field" to start from.

Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 12:58   #49
haymitch

Sounds good, will buy some meths in preparation in that case! As is sods law I filled up the tank just before the problem started happening. You asked which petrol I used, it was premium but I've switched to normal grade petrol recently.

One final question, I started it with holts ether starter fluid this morning to get it to the garage. Will that be an okay interim measure to get it started or will this cause harm at some point?
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 13:12   #50
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Sounds good, will buy some meths in preparation in that case! As is sods law I filled up the tank just before the problem started happening. You asked which petrol I used, it was premium but I've switched to normal grade petrol recently.

One final question, I started it with holts ether starter fluid this morning to get it to the garage. Will that be an okay interim measure to get it started or will this cause harm at some point?
That tends to point to it being petrol which is quite ironic, purely because of the coincidence! What brand of petrol? Please don't say Tesco!

Eventually ether can cause problems, used as a "once in a while emergency/diagnosis measure" it shouldn't but there was a "myth" that engines could become addicted to it.

I say "myth" as there was some truth in it but only metaphorically - what happened was prolonged use of ether, because of its high volatility, bent the piston rings causing reduced compression. This meant after long-term use to start the car, it no longer had the compression it needed to actually start running by itself. As such, it then needed ether every time so in effect, was addicted to it!