Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A stroke of luck

Views : 379

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 21:21   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default A stroke of luck

Well out of a bad situation everything fell in to place.

I had just picked some family up from the train station, I was a few streets from home when my battery, SRS and ABS light all came on, I knew straight away that it was the alternator belt that had snapped.

I got home and opened the bonnet to find the belt lying on the undertray.

I had just received my new Gates belt for the power steering, luckily it happened to be the same as the gates belt on the alternator.

I don't have any tools at home, yet today I received my new 3/8 ratchet set so I brought my old set home.

10 mins later on the drive and the new alternator belt is on. Luckily I had removed my A/C belt and left it off when I did the cambelt as it has a massive leak so I left it off until I sort it out. This made the job a lot easier as I found the A/C belt to be a bit of a pain to remove.

So there you go, everything was just meant to be on that one.

I also had a listen while the engine was running to bed the belt in a bit and my engine sounds very tappety, also the brake servo hose has almost rubbed through on a part of the brake fluid reservoir.

You win some and you lose some
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 01:30   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

The "new problems" are just ordinary care jobs that you have discovered early by diligent listening and so you can fix them.

3/8 drive, yes. Most of my car work is done with 3/8 drive. It covers a large range of socket sizes, gives access to many places, what's not to like? Yes I use 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 also.

Re the belts. I change all the belts when I change the cambelt. Job done. I change the coolant hoses including heater hoses every second cambelt change.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 09:06   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post

I also had a listen while the engine was running to bed the belt in a bit and my engine sounds very tappety, also the brake servo hose has almost rubbed through on a part of the brake fluid reservoir.

You win some and you lose some
A couple of simple fixes there Luke! Replace the brake servo hose with a new length of hose ( think it's 10mm bore from memory, don't forget to get the reinforced stuff for vacuum) and while you're about it, fit a second Non-Return Valve in the hose, a bit closer to the manifold - the valve built into the servo connection has a habit of leaking, especially on higher mileage cars.

As for the tappety sound, add 0.5L of synthetic ATF to the engine oil when there's room to do so. Unless your tappets are way out of adjustment (unlikely) this will help clean off the gum/residue that collects on the valve guides, valves etc and often stops them closing completely. It worked on my B280E and also on my last 740 with a B230E, neither of which have hydraulic tappets which is usually why i'd suggest adding some ATF to the engine oil.
It also revitalises the rubber seals so can cure minor oil leaks and help prevent further leaks.

Even if the ATF doesn't cure the tappets and you still need to adjust them in 1-2000 miles or so, at least you'll be safe in the knowledge that the valves are closing completely and not just almost closing because of dirt on the valve guides etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote