Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5, literally the worst car ever owned. Broken Again

Views : 11688

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 19:32   #11
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Look. These are all engine issues. I personally believe you have had one issue which the dealer has tried to fix and caused all the other issues. It is absolutely unacceptable, but I believe more dealer than car. I think you just need another dealer. Oh and I also think you need to have a very clear conversation about your wish to reject the car.

Is the dealer part of a chain? Can you formally complain to both the dealer principle and head office?

Personally I think you will more likely get a decent financial result if you reject but do a deal on a new car rather than reject outright. That said if I was you I would be ready to get anything other than Volvo too. However I have found a good dealer who looks after me and touch wood I am now 80k miles with little or no mechanical issues....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:00   #12
Chief inspector
Master Member

These do all sound related to be honest, I had some odd rough running at times on an Alfa Romeo a few years ago (never broke down or caused anything other than a vibration) they had 2 go’s at it and ARUK eventually authorised a new cylinder head and injectors, and a lot of other top end bits and it was perfect after that.

E250 had all the injectors and engine wiring loom renewed under a recall and lost power as a result.

I think youre right in pursuing a lease return on yours though, you just arent getting the support and cant have any confidence theyre getting to the root of the issue.

A colleague just got the new Touareg, from your elbow down its all hard plastic, its not really in the same class as the 90 Series Volvo’s, it was about £200 a month less on the lease as well!
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:28   #13
Mavi57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
As a new Volvo owner I spent a fair bit of time trawling various forums to try and get an overall picture of problems and issues, and from where I am sitting mostly it's small niggles. You seem to be one of the very few with actual mechanical problems that stop you using the vehicle. No comfort, I know.

If Volvo's had loads of major problems I would expect to see many more reports on here - there are enough out there.
or maybe he is just a troll
Mavi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:38   #14
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi57 View Post
or maybe he is just a troll
Or maybe you are a massive tool?

I think it's more likely I'm just a really peeved customer who's lost all faith in the reliability of the car.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmot For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:49   #15
MaDProFF
Master Member

Did you actually buy this car new, or 2nd hand?
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:51   #16
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Look. These are all engine issues. I personally believe you have had one issue which the dealer has tried to fix and caused all the other issues. It is absolutely unacceptable, but I believe more dealer than car. I think you just need another dealer. Oh and I also think you need to have a very clear conversation about your wish to reject the car.

Is the dealer part of a chain? Can you formally complain to both the dealer principle and head office?

Personally I think you will more likely get a decent financial result if you reject but do a deal on a new car rather than reject outright. That said if I was you I would be ready to get anything other than Volvo too. However I have found a good dealer who looks after me and touch wood I am now 80k miles with little or no mechanical issues....
This is the thing, I mean everything is linked. One thing causing a chain of events is logical.

I raised this with the Mrs yesterday actually. I'm not sure how long Volvo themselves are prepared to keep repairing and paying Thrifty for rentals. From a P&L pov our car is a loss for them. Do they care? Maybe, maybe not. Obviously they are bound to keep paying for repairs and rentals if i'm having to have the car recovered thru warranty and roadside assist benefits..

I guess all will become clear once Lex/VCL review the case history. There is no way anyone involved can come out and say it's acceptable tho, that's a clear PR disaster for them.

Everyone who's said this is rare, I believe. I've spent time here reading the threads since March 2017 etc. Everyones had the same Sensus issues and a few other niggles here and there...but not many people publically have had all these extended periods of the car being broken and off the road.

I accept that ours is perhaps a lemon and if offered would most likely accept a like for like new swap because life is too short for the BS of a fight.

But, we shall see.

Oh, as far as dealers go, it started its problematic life of issues being sorted at a London dealer, who after a bumpy start were absolutely awesome. Now it's at Marshall Pboro who have so far been good but I genuinely feel the car is such a lemon they are restricted by their processes etc in so much as they treat each symptom, patch it up and move it on. The core of the issue is the car's a lemon and they probably know that already but the reality is whether anyone has the will financially to drill down into the car bit by bit and find out WTF is happening.

The other issue as perfectly explained to me by their service manager before Xmas is the car is legally owned by VCL/Lex as it's a lease, so until we got them involved to formally investigate and start their processes of complaint there is not much good me giving the dealer grief about it, as they cant do anything apart from just repair and send me on my way.

Marshalls have been perfectly responsive and nice in trying to sort us. In fact the service staff there now recognize both me and the reg of the car. Really can't gripe and i'm sure they want this car sorted too.

At the end of last year as per my other threads we'd reached break point but Xmas/NY period got in the way. This weeks breakdown was the final straw.

This catalogue of issues now just has me sat here thinking "whats next?" so the way my head is, I'm not interested in them doing some deep investigation, there are so many faults now, I want it gone.

That is not an unrealistic position for us to hold and I certainly hope we don't encounter too much resistance from Volvo/Marshall/VCL who I'm going to trust will want to do the right thing and make us good.

Last edited by jmot; Jan 26th, 2019 at 11:02.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:52   #17
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Did you actually buy this car new, or 2nd hand?

New, PCH lease.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:55   #18
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post

I think youre right in pursuing a lease return on yours though, you just arent getting the support and cant have any confidence theyre getting to the root of the issue.

A colleague just got the new Touareg, from your elbow down its all hard plastic, its not really in the same class as the 90 Series Volvo’s, it was about £200 a month less on the lease as well!
Yes, I saw a new carwow vid on the Touareg yesterday, totally echo's the below the elbow plastics comment.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 11:54   #19
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Yes, I saw a new carwow vid on the Touareg yesterday, totally echo's the below the elbow plastics comment.
I like the Touareg but the specification has to be chosen carefully. I saw an R-Design, or whatever they call it, the other month and it didn't even have electric driver's seat. So a lot of extras need to be added to some models to get it near Volvo specification level.
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 12:01   #20
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I like the Touareg but the specification has to be chosen carefully. I saw an R-Design, or whatever they call it, the other month and it didn't even have electric driver's seat. So a lot of extras need to be added to some models to get it near Volvo specification level.
Yes its an ‘R’ he has, not sure on the seats, but it has mechanical instruments