Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Message "on call - service required"

Views : 70464

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2014, 10:31   #31
xco
Premier Member

Exclamation

Hi guys
I've read this thread with interest as I've just had the "ON CALL SERVICE REQUIRED" come up this morning.
The car outside temp gauge is reading -5 and as the car was used only last night and was perfectly fine (no messages) I am leaning towards the thinking that it is a sub -zero related problem as others have experienced.
Before I work through all the fixes others have tried can anybody tell me where I can find the location of the phone back up battery please?

I noticed when the car was warmed up and the screen clear that there was condensation running down the inside of the screen from the housing that sits centre top of the screen which contains the rain sensor and (I am assuming) the mic for the hands free phone and wonder if condensation may have damaged it .

I dont drive with the phone on generally but activated it this morning and all seems to be fine but message still up.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 13:13   #32
harveys
Master Member

I had this message pop up last year.
Dealer said come in for a look, said battery fault ?.
I ordered a new battery was around £135+Vat from FRF that's better than the main dealer.
Changed it my self took 1.5 hours to change .then told the car new battery fitted never seen the code again but I did test the old battery which tested as fine ?.
This is what they look like.

harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harveys For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 13:24   #33
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Thnx harveys but before I buy a new battery I want to run through the fixes others did but I dont know where that battery is fitted in the car, which is what I asked in the thread originally.
Where is the battery fitted in the car?
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 14:38   #34
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
Thnx harveys but before I buy a new battery I want to run through the fixes others did but I dont know where that battery is fitted in the car, which is what I asked in the thread originally.
Where is the battery fitted in the car?
On mine it's behind the cars phone keypad.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 14:44   #35
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Thnx mate
Just been out to the car and tried the fuse 14 RWAW /CLAN fix and it's worked so fingers crossed !

Last edited by xco; Dec 29th, 2014 at 17:04.
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 16:38   #36
N8pes

Default On call service required

I've had the same problem on my XC90 08 I've had it into the dealer who have checked the battery which is fine but found that the fault is with the On call Module. The phone still receives call & can call out but to replace the module it's going to cost me the best part of £1000!!.....
I tried doing the quick fix with pulling fuse 14 but still had the warning sign I even spoke with the on call service provider who said that the on call service was last registered in 2010 & not been renewed since.

I've come to the same conclusion as the technician at Volvo that if It's not a service I use so instead of spending £1000 for the fix I'll just delete the message when it shows on the dash & carry on!....
N8pes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N8pes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 17:26   #37
pugley

I got fed up with the on call service message masking other messages.

Volvo do a sofware reflash to remove the on call monitoring system from the car. I suspect the very reason volvo offer this is that people no longer wish to subscribe once the car is older and/or privately owned.

£240 later no more annoying messages!
pugley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 20:58   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugley View Post
I got fed up with the on call service message masking other messages.

Volvo do a sofware reflash to remove the on call monitoring system from the car. I suspect the very reason volvo offer this is that people no longer wish to subscribe once the car is older and/or privately owned.

£240 later no more annoying messages!
what was the diagnostic result for the fault code you had ?

The safety part of the system is free , NO subscription needed , you only subscribe for the tracking and security part !
It is foolish to delete this safety system which you are lucky to have , it is only now being picked up by the masses 16 years after volvo first used it and to become law on all new cars soon .

The safety part of the system allows you to call the call centre for help about anything on your travels , and also features automatic call helping . for example if you end upside down in a ditch and are rendered unconscious the system calls the emergency services to where you are and sends data from the car so they can determine the state of the car . If you can still talk they will talk to you and see how bad things are . FOOLISH to have this disabled . your life depends on it .very Foolish of the dealer to do it as well .
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 03:32   #39
N8pes

Thumbs down

I've had the same problem on my 08 XC90 with the on call service required. Took it back to the dealer who checked it out & have said the phone module needs to be replaced. £826 for the module & £38 for the software the battery is showing 100% & they have tried to clear the warning sign but with no joy!.....

Think that as the car has not had the On call subscription since 2010 I'll leave it & just clear the warning sign of the dashboard via the stalk!....
N8pes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 10:32   #40
pugley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what was the diagnostic result for the fault code you had ?

The safety part of the system is free , NO subscription needed , you only subscribe for the tracking and security part !
It is foolish to delete this safety system which you are lucky to have , it is only now being picked up by the masses 16 years after volvo first used it and to become law on all new cars soon .

The safety part of the system allows you to call the call centre for help about anything on your travels , and also features automatic call helping . for example if you end upside down in a ditch and are rendered unconscious the system calls the emergency services to where you are and sends data from the car so they can determine the state of the car . If you can still talk they will talk to you and see how bad things are . FOOLISH to have this disabled . your life depends on it .very Foolish of the dealer to do it as well .
You are completely entitled to your own opinion, which I respect. Your choice of the word "foolish" is a little arrogant.

MY opinion is that, due to faults in an ageing on-call system, I decided that I did not wish to pay for a battery replacement, I did not wish to pay for an out dated telephone module replacement. I did not wish to pay Volvo for an on-call subscription.
I needed a modern hands free phone alternative that did not require, the now outdated, dual sim card.
Also, the messages these faults displayed on the driver information panel masked other potentially more important driver alarms which I found annoying and distracting.

Basically my on-call system was not working properly so I chose to delete it and take my chances in the event of an accident. Just as I do in every other car I drive.
pugley is offline   Reply With Quote