Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Message "on call - service required"

Views : 70079

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2016, 23:45   #41
migmog

My car has this message as well. I am thinking about getting a Vida Dice machine - would this be able to do the battery reset procedure as recommended here?
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 07:17   #42
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migmog View Post
My car has this message as well. I am thinking about getting a Vida Dice machine - would this be able to do the battery reset procedure as recommended here?
yes it would , but it could be some other fault such as internal microphone or internal fault with the module . Battery one is most common though!
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 22:16   #43
migmog

OK, so I got a VIDA/Dice machine. Boy was that a pain in the butt to set up!
Eventually..... read the code and got
PHM-0008 Reserve microphone. Signal too high / signal missing

I have to say, once I got it going, VIDA is a pretty good tool. It walks you though how to troubleshoot and fix the problem it found.

I'm going to have a go at the microphone issue at the weekend. I'll update you guys as to how I get on.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 13:41   #44
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugley View Post
MY opinion is that, due to faults in an ageing on-call system, I decided that I did not wish to pay for a battery replacement, I did not wish to pay for an out dated telephone module replacement. I did not wish to pay Volvo for an on-call subscription.
I needed a modern hands free phone alternative that did not require, the now outdated, dual sim card.
Also, the messages these faults displayed on the driver information panel masked other potentially more important driver alarms which I found annoying and distracting.

Basically my on-call system was not working properly so I chose to delete it and take my chances in the event of an accident. Just as I do in every other car I drive.

Most economy cars don't have such system, here in North America there is GM I think who has been offering since many years ago, it's named On-Star, still it never became popular. But it would indeed be helpful for people traveling or leaving in remote areas where, in case of an accident, help from other drivers is not likely to arrive. In such conditions it is a great addition.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 08:48   #45
migmog

Good news! I reset the fault codes and no longer have the message.
Hopefully it was a one time issue, and won't return.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 14:30   #46
john d
VOC Member

Hi All,

I stumbled on this thread whilst looking for a solution to my "On call service required" message. My car is a 2006 V70, by the way. I have been getting codes indicating that the power supply and/or back-up battery is faulty (PHM0015 and PHM0030), plus the "On call service required". Deciding to replace the battery, I have looked at removing the phone. However, for the life of me I haven't been able to work out how to get the thing out of the dash.

So I'm posting on here in the hopes that your cars are similar to the V70 and that someone can give me a clue.

Thanks in anticipation.

John
john d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 19:32   #47
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john d View Post
Hi All,

I stumbled on this thread whilst looking for a solution to my "On call service required" message. My car is a 2006 V70, by the way. I have been getting codes indicating that the power supply and/or back-up battery is faulty (PHM0015 and PHM0030), plus the "On call service required". Deciding to replace the battery, I have looked at removing the phone. However, for the life of me I haven't been able to work out how to get the thing out of the dash.

So I'm posting on here in the hopes that your cars are similar to the V70 and that someone can give me a clue.

Thanks in anticipation.

John
although 10 years old , the battery may still be ok ,( they usually are ) just get the phone reserve battery counter reset .. it should get the system working again . There is a fault in the battery monitoring software .
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 18:56   #48
Steviefix

Default Battery below threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
although 10 years old , the battery may still be ok ,( they usually are ) just get the phone reserve battery counter reset .. it should get the system working again . There is a fault in the battery monitoring software .
Hi, I have been watching this thread with interest as my 2011 xc90 has the "Volvo on call service required" message too, I have attached my dice and vida reports the battery is in need of replacement, now I know that the battery is not a rechargeable type and is a lithium manganese dioxide which is designed to have a long shelf life (10 years unused maybe) I would think that the likelihood of it needing replacement by now is high. I cannot remember the exact terminology in vida but I did try the re-calibration option but the message and code still show. My main question is does anyone know where this backup battery resides on the 2011 xc90? I have the display and phone keypad out but I am at a loss as to where the battery resides. I believe it should be about the size of an AA type with wires attached, is this correct? any help here will be greatly appreciated ;-)
Steviefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 21:30   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviefix View Post
Hi, I have been watching this thread with interest as my 2011 xc90 has the "Volvo on call service required" message too, I have attached my dice and vida reports the battery is in need of replacement, now I know that the battery is not a rechargeable type and is a lithium manganese dioxide which is designed to have a long shelf life (10 years unused maybe) I would think that the likelihood of it needing replacement by now is high. I cannot remember the exact terminology in vida but I did try the re-calibration option but the message and code still show. My main question is does anyone know where this backup battery resides on the 2011 xc90? I have the display and phone keypad out but I am at a loss as to where the battery resides. I believe it should be about the size of an AA type with wires attached, is this correct? any help here will be greatly appreciated ;-)
If you have gone into the system and marked the calibration as " fitted new battery" and it is still showing the message the battery may be faulty , however it's very rare they need changing .

PN up to chassis number 568000 30775460
after chassis number 5668001 30782872

the unit is behind the console under the radio .
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 22:02   #50
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviefix View Post
To change the battery the complete radio unit needs to be removed then stripped down to get to the battery, Not a 5 min job.
I did replace mine approx 3 years ago and it was the most expensive battery i have ever bought ! around £130 . and when I tested old to new they were almost the same voltage, I think Vida will give you a voltage test for the battery.
This was on my V70 I should add.

Last edited by harveys; Oct 12th, 2018 at 22:21.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote