Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I'm leaving the fold I'm afraid 😔😔

Views : 605

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 23:53   #1
Squealey

Default I'm leaving the fold I'm afraid 😔😔

Evening All

Well the time has come, I'm off, I'm outahere, I'm now an ex Volvo owner!!

It hasn't been the longest of journeys, starting in about 2008 when I purchased a 7 seat 940. That car had a SERIOUS drink problem, I'm talking £10 in, 10 miles out. Never got to the bottom of what was causing it, although I highly suspect it was the MAF, I was severely unemployed at the time and because it was costing so much to run I just didn't have the spare cash to throw at it, so off it went!!

Then in 2015 my neighbour was selling his low mileage 2003 S60 D5, just a paltry 320,000 on the clock. He offered me it for £500 and I graciously accepted. My children christened him Vin Diesel!
What a car. What a feat of modern engineering. We had 18 months and nearly 30,000 miles together and I loved every second of it.
Then on the very day I started my new job and received a company van he decided his work was done and blew the oil plug out from behind the flywheel. Knowing that the dmf and clutch needed doing as well I weighed up the sense of spending nigh on £900 on a car with 346,000 miles. It seemed fruitless, so he was pretty much given to a chap on gumtree and a new search began.

After putting a wanted ad on this very sight a chap appeared with a stunning looking S60 with the 183bhp engine and the geartronic gearbox. I was smitten. Went and had a look and on the ten minute test drive it was faultless. The beautiful blue with cream leather, the sat nav, the every conceivable toy count made it too good to turn down, so one direct bank transfer later and I was driving my new chariot from South Birmingham back to Lincolnshire.

The journey didn't go well. It didn't take long to realise I'd knowingly been sold a dog of a car. First the gearbox started flaring quite dramatically, then it started cutting out when pulling out of junctions, a very scary trait for any car to have. Plus the fuel guage was constantly hovering around the half a tank mark, no matter how much fuel was in it.

In my few months with it I managed to fix both the cutting out and fuel guage problem but funds just wouldn't allow for the gearbox to be done.

So I was left with a quandary, which I currently have another thread talking about, fix or flight!!

I chose flight, but after a few days on gumtree with only asshats asking stupid questions and making joke offers I decided to fix it instead. I started another thread getting details on what I needed and where to get it, when out of the blue a very nice Polish (I think) chap called to ask if I still had it.

He turned up with his family in an older S60 and after a very thorough test drive (at my insistence) a deal was struck and I became an ex Volvo owner.

They are a lovely bunch of Volvo enthusiasts who will be putting it back on the road and are members on this very forum. So if your reading this, best of luck to you.

I would just like to say thank you so much to this forum and it's amazing members. You've saved my bacon on more than one occasion and most other forums should take note of the general lack of nastiness.

But for now I bid you farewell with all the best wishes for the future!!

Cheers all

Wayne
Squealey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Squealey For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 15:31   #2
andrewpain

good luck.
I still drop into the seat cupra forum for a different take on things. Much talk of engine maps, catbacks, coilovers and the like, that I never got into. But there were some nice guys on there. Like here.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 20:45   #3
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Shame about the cars burn trust me, you'll be back!! Volvo's are addictive, I've had 5 of them in 3 years and every time I leave I'm back within a few weeks haha
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post: