Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

44k engine blown, warranty company not interested

Views : 8732

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2016, 17:44   #71
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkenya View Post
I have asked Mapfre if they will honour the rest of the warranty given the engine is a second hand replacement and had no reply (I emailed them to have it in writing.)
I'm in support, the same as everyone else in this thread, but do you really want to deal with them again after this? If it were me (& depending on the outcome of course) I'd want a refund on the rest of the term of the warranty & I'd take my business elsewhere. I would also go public with this to warn others. But that's just me :-)

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic

Last edited by phil1968; Dec 8th, 2016 at 17:47.
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2016, 18:53   #72
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

I agree, I wouldn't want a car warranted by them and now know to look out of the company on my next purchase as it clearly isn't a warranty worth having!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2016, 21:59   #73
jjkenya

Hi fellow forumites. If you can, I'd appreciate your views on this:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2206758
jjkenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 22:30   #74
jjkenya

Hello 1 and all.

I felt I should close this thread with an outcome and situation. The car was finally received back from Volvo yesterday. The engine was replaced under warranty, and they paid me a small compensatory sum for the inconvenience. I had to pay for the fuel pipes and my wipers and brakes were needing replacement as they'd sat idle so long... I was too tired to fight that battle.

I must say that almost 6 months without our car has been a real test (understatement of the year) and I wish there was more of a penalty for the warranty company who should have paid out in September 2016...

Regardless, the car is back, and I have to openly thanks:
1. everyone in this thread who supported me
2. one user in particular who I have contacted privately, who is an independent assessor and performed an assessment for us because of this forum

I've learnt a few lessons, one of which is that insurance companies really are shaftstards, and they will go to lengths to shut out claims. I imagine that most people would have given up on this one, as would I, had I been able to afford a replacement engine.

The Ombudsman process is good, but time consuming and is more suited to financial transactions than vehicles. I am genuinely grateful that we live in a country that has these methods of recourse in place and that they actually perform. I come from a place (check my username...) that this would never happen.

If anyone has any questions about the outcome, the process or anything else that they feel remain unanswered, the least I can do is detail it here. Please let me know.

Thanks again
jjkenya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjkenya For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 22:32   #75
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Glad you got a result in the end, time to put some miles on and enjoy it!! Shame about the hassle but the big 90 is a cracking car, sure you'll enjoy having it back and that softens the blow of being messed about
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:

Tags
engine, mapfre, warranty, xc90