Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust contents query ?

Views : 484

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2019, 23:14   #1
minesa240x3
loyalty

Default Exhaust contents query ?

Hi folks, hopefully a simple question regarding the exhaust system.
My car is a v70, manual, 2.5L , 1999/2000, non turbo, mk1 shape and style but registered year 2000.
Recently had work carried out for MOT, engine management light on, diagnostics by Volvo independent showed Lambda probe faulty, replaced it, seemed fine for a day, then light back on.
The garage were excellent and found another fault this time the air idle valve ,
Replaced it with one I had and all good ever since, btw they didn’t charge me anything ,
A few days ago the engine management light suddenly came on, the car seemed ok apart from reluctance to get up a steep hill.
I took it steady.
Then today whilst checking tyres etc I noticed what looked like grey hair wrapped around the tow ball?
It was wrapped around quite tightly, I knelt down to remove it and was wary as like I said it looked like long grey hair with black streaks running through it.
My first thoughts were maybe a work colleague playing some kind of prank on me.
Then I looked across and coming out of the tail pipe of the exhaust was more grey strands of hair like material.
I pulled at it and it just kept coming out, I had about half a carrier bag full when it stopped, there was plenty more still up inside,
I drove the car about today locally, each time I parked up I saw more wadding sticking out and removed it.

Then just as suddenly as it came on the engine management light has gone out.

So I presume the hair like strands are baffle packing! Or wadding,
My question is which part of the exhaust contains such material?
The catalytic converters is not very old. 04/09/2017.
The rearsilencer is stainless steel and fairly old,
The rear silencer was purchased from parts for Volvo online, no blame aimed st them, It was not the highest priced exhaust they did, and it’s quite old now anyway.
And so catalytic converters, do they contain such wadding? Or is it definitely only the rear silencer.
I am hoping the rest blows out as it was causing a blockage, standing outside it was noticeably quieter when revved.
Thanks if you can help,

minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 00:34   #2
pff

I have a 99/00 old style, the exhaust has two silencer boxes in addition to the cat.
In my experience the smaller box at the back was packed with essentially steel wool type stuff, kept inside as the tail pipe through the box is only perforated.
I had a similar problem where the perforated pipe inside the back box rusted through allowing the wool to escape.
I haven't had the middle box open fortunately but I would expect something similar probably.
If its not a problem then its not a problem but don't be surprised if you suddenly need some exhaust parts, I had a genuine Volvo exhaust fitted from the cat back and it lasted just over a year before every single weld disintegrated.

The cat inside is a solid (unless its damaged!) perforated honeycomb type affair, it shouldn't be able to migrate anywhere never mind to the towbar.
pff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pff For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 06:40   #3
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you pff,
Much appreciate the help, it’s the not knowing what might happen next that concerned me.
It really is the most strange looking stuff, so like long grey hair with black strands, it isn’t even covered in soot, very clean and silky in texture.

It must have caused a blockage when it first started coming loose as the car just seemed very sluggish, then the dash light on and it was like waiting for the car to stop altogether! It had started stuttering and not revving fully?
I imagine the exhaust gases building up and not being able to breathe.

As I was driving only local in daylight I did give it some welly every so often to try and blow out the wadding. Maybe it’s nearly all gone or at least not blocking any longer?

I did think the CAT was more solid in nature as when looking around for a new one there would be advertising blurb pointing out just how complex it all was.

Yes seems even genuine isn’t as great as it once was.

Again thank you for easing my mind, nothing worse than not knowing and waiting for the unexpected.
Take care .
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 06:50   #4
dieselderv

Back in my days of youth I used to smack holes in the very end of the back box (silencer) to get a more chav sounding exhaust ,it worked a treat but every now and then I'd have to remove the same stuff that forced itself out of the holes..eventually there would be none left and it would get quite loud..if your not fussed about it getting a bit louder and don't want to buy a new silencer just keep pulling it out as and when...Google inside a silencer and look at the images ,I've cut a lot open to remove the holed pipe and replace with solis
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dieselderv For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 09:44   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thanks dieselderv, More noise isn’t a major concern, it was more the fact it seemed totally blocked, causing huge back pressure, engine loosing power, engine light on, really wanted reassuring mostly. Happier now you have both given your views,
Today I will keep the revs up and try to clear it all out,, quite a large amount has already been pulled out already, it comes in strips then breaks away, shining the torch up the tail pipe indicates more to come,

Back in my youth we always tried removing baffles in mopeds Lol, horrible sound, but learnt cutting them shorter gave a better sound, Oh and the youthful misguided belief it would enhance performance,, yeah right !
Same as polishing the tops of 50cc pistons and porting, we had fun and it taught us the basics of mechanicals.
We were hands on back then, hungry to learn, wether it be good or bad,
Thanks again for reassuring me.
Off for a high revs short few runs, and hair pulling Lol. .
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 20:10   #6
dieselderv

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Thanks dieselderv, More noise isn’t a major concern, it was more the fact it seemed totally blocked, causing huge back pressure, engine loosing power, engine light on, really wanted reassuring mostly. Happier now you have both given your views,
Today I will keep the revs up and try to clear it all out,, quite a large amount has already been pulled out already, it comes in strips then breaks away, shining the torch up the tail pipe indicates more to come,

Back in my youth we always tried removing baffles in mopeds Lol, horrible sound, but learnt cutting them shorter gave a better sound, Oh and the youthful misguided belief it would enhance performance,, yeah right !
Same as polishing the tops of 50cc pistons and porting, we had fun and it taught us the basics of mechanicals.
We were hands on back then, hungry to learn, wether it be good or bad,
Thanks again for reassuring me.
Off for a high revs short few runs, and hair pulling Lol. .
Very very true me too all of the above ..I suspect your holed inner tubes of the exhaust have some how corroded allowing the wadding to then be blown through the tailpipe
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote