Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Camshaft confusion

Views : 4114

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2016, 09:44   #21
jjkenya

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...GpxNVRyWFJHZUE

See images. They sent me a T engine not a T4. Not sure why the garage says it's a T3...
Invoice says T4
jjkenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 10:12   #22
cheshired5
Premier Member

If it is a D5244T that's been supplied, it's the Euro 3 163 so not even subtly different to the Euro 4 185.

It isn't a schoolboy error on the breaker's part, it's kindergarten level and the garage is a disgrace too for even fitting it as it was never going to work.
The camshafts are only a tiny part of what's different.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 11:04   #23
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Looks like you have the basis for a claim against the breakers yard and also the garage, the former as they didn't supply what they have invoiced you for and the garage for fitting an incorrect engine. Out of interest have you confirmed 100% that it was a T4 fitted in originally, we know it should have been but I would sill inspect the old engine as this would help your case against the garage who undertook the replacement.

Unfortunately I suspect you will need to go to the small claims court for resolution - or at least threaten it with a solictor's letter - as I imagine neither party will be willing to refund your costs voluntarily.

First place I would go - immediately now, is your local Citizens Advice Bureau - they are very good.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 12:09   #24
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Item 3 in the terms and conditions of the breakers invoice-
The company shall not be responsible for labour charges associated with your installation/re-installation... It's a fairly common clause when buying from a breaker, you have to take the responsibility and the risk that the part is in serviceable condition for your car and the right part, it is after all a part pulled from another car not one ordered from the manufacturer using correct part numbers. It's also the reason why garages are reluctant to get involved in fitting secondhand parts and cover themselves if they do by getting you to order the part and specifying that they will fit the part as supplied by you on your instruction.
Sorry to add to your stream of bad luck but I wouldn't be sure of getting anyone else to pay up.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 13:26   #25
jjkenya

First, thanks for all the help, honest feedback and support.

I want to straighten out some facts for everyone so we are all on the same page:
1. My engine stamp says D5244T 430338
2. The replacement engine stamp is D2244T 301**3 (slightly hard to read)

Whether one is a T4 and the other a T(something else) is to be 100% confirmed. I spoke to Volvo who advised that the easiest way to confirm this detail is the VIN or Reg, as per cheshired5's post.

Mine, according to my own VIN check and cheshired5 as well, is a T4 engine
I need to establish the facts on the replacement which I'm working on... easiest way is the VIN or Reg, both unavailabel as they arrived at his yard without them.

I apologise to everyone if there's been any confusion, I'm guilty of some conjecture saying that "they sent me a T not a T4" because I now realise I don't KNOW that. The breaker is adamant that he sent a T4 engine and that he knows the difference between a T and a T4, and he sounded pretty convincing. He was adamant that a simple change of camshaft would solve this as the engines are identical internally.

What he also mentioned is that the cam in the engine supplied is (as we know) now superseded, but from what he knows, not by the camshaft in my original engine. So, assuming he did supply a T4 engine, the question comes down to: why is there this "odd" camshaft in my original engine?

In terms of the claim, let's get the above fact: is the D5244T 301**7 a T4 or not?

Once again, thank you to all.

Last edited by jjkenya; Dec 13th, 2016 at 15:14.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 14:45   #26
Scooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkenya View Post
2. The replacement engine stamp is D2244T 301**3 (slightly hard to read)
You say it's slightly hard to read. Are you sure that stamp doesn't say D5244T 301**3 which makes a lot more sense. (there appears no such Volvo engine as a D2244)

In which case you've been sent an D5244T3 engine and the breakers have fcuked up, because the invoice says they've sent you a D5244T4 engine.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 15:21   #27
jjkenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
You say it's slightly hard to read. Are you sure that stamp doesn't say D5244T 301**3 which makes a lot more sense. (there appears no such Volvo engine as a D2244)
Scooser - sorry. You are right and I made a typo. The replacement engine says:
D5244T 301**3
(The last digit may be a 7 but that is immaterial) See what you think? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B--...ew?usp=sharing

However, even Volvo say that just because the number after the D5244T says 3 or 4 or anything else, it does not mean it's a T3 or T4 etc. (Comments on this welcome).

I have emailed them more details as we try to establish the issue here:
1. Have I got a T4 engine from the breaker that should work, but for some reason my car has been fitted with this "weird" camshaft?

Or

2. Have the breaker actually supplied an incorrect engine?

Last edited by jjkenya; Dec 13th, 2016 at 15:34.
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 16:59   #28
cheshired5
Premier Member

A nice big photo of all of the engine that's been sent will allow us to tell you whether you at least have been sent a Euro 3 or 4.

So far, it's like trying to identify it by looking through a keyhole.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 17:49   #29
Scooser

This could be of interest. A lot of good Volvo published technical information which compares and contrasts the D5244T/2/4/5/6/7 engines.

Details all the differences between a D5244T & D5244T2 engines and D5244T4/5/6/7. No mention of a D5244T3 unfortunately (maybe a T3 does not exist as stated in an earlier comment?).

You could look at the T and T2 and see if they share similarities, or look at the T4/5/6/7 and look for the differences.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/Ne...006-Theory.pdf

Best of luck!

And this

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/Ne...-Technical.pdf

Last edited by Scooser; Dec 13th, 2016 at 18:16.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 22:17   #30
Honestjon

For my pennys worth is the original engine not salvagable?. Im in the middle of rebuilding my d5244t4 its a night mare but im doing it because every breaker i called were very vague about the specifics of the engine they had and told me it was up to me to check it out for correct fitment. I called about 20. I decided to rebuild . Mine was burning 2 litres of oil a week so a little different.
Honestjon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Honestjon For This Useful Post:

Tags
31216227, camshaft, xc90