Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alcantra Seats

Views : 1617

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2017, 19:35   #41
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpain View Post
if she's that small, maybe a roof box?
That might be a step to far, If Nigel's mother has to lie down then she may think she is on her final ride to her last resting place! If I was her I would be kicking up a terrible fuss.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2017, 20:22   #42
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
That might be a step to far, If Nigel's mother has to lie down then she may think she is on her final ride to her last resting place! If I was her I would be kicking up a terrible fuss.
Its a good job she doesn't read this thread (or even know about the 'Forum') !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 14:16   #43
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I had my test drive today. I drove a manual and the DSG version. The DSG made driving so simple and that kicked the manual into touch. There is a slight delay when starting from still but I had read about that and that is a quirk I will need to adapt to. The same goes for overtaking. Clearly the DSG needs to work out that I want to accelerate quickly and drop gears whereas in a manual I do that myself. Simple adaptations. What surprised me was how smooth the gear changes were with the DSG. I could just about hear them happening but you certainly could not feel them.

The car is long, noticeable long but then my XC60 is big and it only took a few days to get used to that. The model I will get has sensors all around so that is not a worry. The turning circle and manouverability however is way better than my XC60. I had a go at parking, front and back and it was pretty simple. Certainly less forward and backwards than I have been used to. I missed the big side mirrors that you get on the XC60 though. I didn't appreciate before just how much of an extra view they give you.

The engine I drove was a 2.0d 150bhp, down from the 180bhp of my XC60. You could tell the difference but I knew that was going to happen whatever the car I was going to get this time around. The Superb got to and sat at 70mph very easily. I have seen it described as a comfortable drive rather than a sharp drive and that sounds about right. Luckily, that is what I am looking for.

Plenty of toys as standard so I wont need to add many extras. I have been spoiled by the electric boot though so that option is definitely going on there.

All in all a positive test drive. I'm pleased to say the dealer, Silbury Skoda, just threw me the keys and let me get on with it. Afterwards we spoke and discussed one or two things but at no stage did they try and sell me the car. So far so good. I am going to ponder my decision over the weekend, I am ridiculously impulsive and can not be trusted in the purchase either of a car or a house!, to make sure I am certain. I also want to hear the Budget on Wednesday to make sure the Chancellor does not bring any shocks in that will affect me during this 3 year cycle. He should not, BIK tax rates to that date have already been published, but you never know.

Incidentally, if someone came to me this afternoon and asked if they should go for an XC60 I would happily suggest they do so if it suits them. I've enjoyed mine, had a few faults that it shouldn't have had and some of its spec, media system, was poor for a car of its value. However it is still a very good car and a great mile muncher. After 5 consecutive years at looking at a near identical Volvo interior, V60 and XC60, and dash I could not face another 3yrs of the same though. The XC60 has been good but not good enough to warrant that.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 15:09   #44
civilservant

More importantly, how were the Alacantra seats?
civilservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 18:32   #45
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Ha ha, fair point. Actually very good, no problem at all. Definitely no sliding around.