Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

using a mobile phone as a sat nav , legal ?

Views : 2535

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 11:29   #21
AngryScot

I'm not angry at all. You'd do well to have the good grace to admit when you are wrong rather than lashing out at anybody who dares challenge you.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngryScot For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 11:30   #22
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Jon,

Stop it.

Thanks.
James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 11:52   #23
Max HEADVROOM

does anyone have any official guidelines, or links to them.
Max HEADVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 12:18   #24
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
I'm not angry at all. You'd do well to have the good grace to admit when you are wrong rather than lashing out at anybody who dares challenge you.
I wasn't wrong, in fact my comment was neither wrong nor right. If I were wrong I'd be happy to admit it.

Your reply was totally inappropriate (lashing out - are you for real?) and many of those on this thread should recognise that.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 12:26   #25
tt82
Forum Support Team

Can we put this to bed now please gents? It does nothing to aid this discussion and all future posts carrying on this argument will be removed!

Thanks

Simon

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 13:15   #26
isleaiw
Master Member

Are we allowed to comment on the fact that he calls everyone who uses a sat nav an idiot?

Unnecessary. Adds nothing to his point and in fact detracts from it. I also have been driving for over 30 years, have done 40k miles a year and have a very good career but I set mine pretty much all the time before I set off. The traffic upgrades and ETA are often invaluable.

I also talk hands free on the phone whilst driving. I dont do complex business calls or things where I have to concentrate intently, but I do catch up calls, diary management with my PA, calls with kids about their lives, social arrangements. If I wasnt talking to that I may be listening to the radio that would distract me even more. As for passengers and how they distract (especially kids) dont get me started....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 13:29   #27
tt82
Forum Support Team

No! Jon has received a public warning regarding his dismissive attitude towards other members of this forum. The matter is now closed and I would like to ask everybody to refrain from dragging the issue back up, for the sake of peace on the forum and the sanity of the Admin team!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 13:30   #28
Considered1
Premier Member

I wish I'd put my sat nav on as soon as I left home today instead of getting the missus to put in the location of where to drop her at a new friends house half way there. Major Road closed, found out on route, abandoned the journey in the end as I would have been to late for my professional appointment. Having to re-arrange.

Sat nav everytime for me from now on. Anyone recommend a good app or website to check before I even set off if everyone else in the world has been informed and I should have checked before setting off - think this one happened on route and the Volvo SatNav did catch it a few mins after the policeman waved me off course..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 13:35   #29
tt82
Forum Support Team

I generally rely on the traffic news for mid-journey updates. I used to use the BBC Traffic website to have a quick check of the roads prior to setting off, as you could check the Highways Agency's cameras to gauge traffic levels. Sadly though the BBC has discontinued this service.

Living and working in Manchester though, I have become resigned to the daily traffic jams and accidents!

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 13:44   #30
NigelDay
Premier Member

It never ceases to amaze me how traffic reports on my Garmin rarely agree with those on the Volvo system. When Volvo move to TomTom in 2019, their 'live traffic system' (assuming Volvo take this option) is supposed to be better.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote