Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Gearbox?????????

Views : 647

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2006, 22:55   #1
Scott Stephen

Smile Which Gearbox?????????

Hello all, I've just bought a 1975 244 Saloon in outstanding condition for her age. (£80 off ebay!!!!!!!) She has only covered 84000 mls from new. I couldnt believe my luck when I won her for so little.

I wish to change the 4 spd box for a 5 spd box as she is a bit revvy at motorway speeds. I am unsure what is compatible. The car is fitted with the B21A engine. I seem to recall that my old '86C 740 2.3 Carb used to rev extremely low at 70 but I cant remember the gearbox code. Any help/advice appreciated
Scott Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 23:27   #2
Ben O Brien

An M47 5 speed is fitted to most of the later models, this should fit just fine though check that it has the same output flange for your original driveshaft or you'll end up changine the shafts too, not hard but more work. Hope this helps.

Regards
Ben

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:13   #3
dgbalfour
VOC Member

You may also have an issue with speedometer cables - the early ones were cable driven from the gearbox, the later ones used a sensor mounted on the back axle.

It might be worth sourcing a 4spd + overdrive from another cable driven speedometer'd car.

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:30   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Also watch for the number of splines on the gearbox input shaft. early 4-speed boxes were different. I think they are still interchangeable as long as you use the appropriate clutch plate.
Ideally you do need access to the donor car. With the M47 5 speed the prop shaft couplings and flanges are often different, and the M46 overdrive box has a shorter front section of shaft, because the box is now longer. Mounts also differ, but are interchangeable. The alternative set of captive nuts for putting the cross member in the other position should already be present.
If going for the M46 you would of course need the appropriate gearlever as well, also overdrive wiring and relay.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:18   #5
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The boxes are interchangeable by changing clutch plate. Early boxes up to 79 had a coarse spine clutch and it went to fine spline after that. Cable speedos only went to about 1983 - after that they were electronic off rear axle. To use one of these you'd have to change speedo and rear axle - a lot of work. Clifford is spot on with all his comments.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote