Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Excess wear on inside edge of rear nearside tyre

Views : 1067

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2006, 23:32   #1
lenjones

Default Excess wear on inside edge of rear nearside tyre

My car is a 1990 240 GL estate.

I just got my car MOT'd and the examiner pointed out excessive wear on the inner edge of my rear nearside tyre. He asked if the wheels had been swapped around, but they haven't. The only other thing I've noticed is a knocking sound coming from under the floor as I go (mostly) round right hand bends. It doesn't seem too bad going round the left hand bends. Also the same sound seems to occur going over bumps.

Anyone else had this/these problems?

Last edited by lenjones; May 19th, 2006 at 23:42.
Old May 20th, 2006, 20:02   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Sounds like wear in bushes - possibly bottom arm possibly onto axle. Might not have been bad enough to fail on though or the examiner didn't spot it.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 00:29   #3
lenjones

Thanks for that reply.

I'm still trying to clear up something here though. The 'bottom bushes' you mention, are these the 'lower suspension arm bushes' and are these the same thing as the 'rear trailing arm bushes'. I've noticed that there are a number of different terms being used - can someone please clarify this??
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:50   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

There are a number of terms referring to the suspension arms - there are 2 arms top and bottom. Top are also referred to as torque rodsm as they resist the twisting of the axle. Lower suspension arm and rear trailing arm are one and the same thing - confused - I'm not surprised!

Mike

Old May 24th, 2006, 12:24   #5
lenjones

Not so confused now thanks to you. At least I now know what to look for anyway. Many, many thanks.
Old May 24th, 2006, 17:22   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Not a problem - but do let us know how you get on and ask if you can't find a bush problem.

Mike

Old May 25th, 2006, 13:05   #7
lenjones

I phoned my local Squire Furneaux dealer yesterday to find out what they would charge to do this, as it looks a bit tricky in the Haynes Manual, especially getting the old bushes out and fitting new ones, and they mentioned a figure of around £250 !!!! But, they went on to say that they would be able to replace the trailing arms complete with bushes for about £193 ???

Apparently it's cheaper because of the labour charges. I'm now considering replacing them complete anyway, but it'll have to wait until next month to get the pennies together.
Old May 25th, 2006, 13:29   #8
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Usually it is the large bush in the rear axle that the trailing arm fits into that goes. Ther is a fairly simple diy answer. You can replace this bush with a polyurethane bush. Fitting is a case of burning out the old rubber bush leaving the shell in.The new poly bush then fits into the shell. Contact classicswede on this forum for further info about polybushes.

Mike

Old May 25th, 2006, 15:18   #9
charlotte001

I love poly bushes especially the ones which are already split (not sure if they all come like it) As previously said you just burn the old ones out (ps don't use a gas axe it makes a heck of a mess to the arms) ((Oh yes I did)) Did my Range Rover the split ones simply slot in

the get fresh bolts/nuts/washers although a lot of complete kits supply these and simply push them in with a socket being carefull not to damage them.

To see if it is bushes get a pry bar to see if you have movement (you will get some because of the rubber compound) excess movement is what you're looking for

Charlotte