Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 ATF light re-appeared read on

Views : 797

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 13:36   #1
hmsggg

Default S60 ATF light re-appeared read on

after having a atf leak and changing the pipe myself and topping up the transmission myself with Carlube ATF Universal JWS3309 SPEC? then I had the light reset at Volvo and all seemed fine after about a couple of months relatively chilled driving I decided to give it some up a long steep hill past a few cars at the brow of the hill I eased off as was doing good speed the ATF light re-appeared I can only think that it's down to this crap oil I have put in as the car is running fine now but i havn't give it any since this happened I think that the oil overheated and sent some message to trigger the service light. Could this be down to me putting in the oil and doing nothing else? the oil is black and I have put about 12ltrs through it when there was a leak I think I need to save for the real liquid gold should I get this done at volvo or can I do it myself any advise welcomed and appreciated.
hmsggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 13:56   #2
GMad
Premier Member

If the oil is black, either something within the box is or has contaminated it, or you didn't get all the old crud out!
The oil in my box (67000 miles) is bright red!
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 01:13   #3
hmsggg

I didn't do a proper flush just what leaked out I replaced.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 08:22   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

The black in the oil are metal particles .. which circulate with the oil and wears everything it contacts , bearings , clutches etc ... might be worth flushing and changing the complete oil for £100 or so but long term looks like trouble ..
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 11:54   #5
hmsggg

yeah this is what I was thinking my diagnosis is down to the valve body itself I think there is not enough pressure build up on pull off as there is a bit of delay software update has been done was wondering if this software is permanent as I have had the battery off a few times. I would of thought it is permanent. reading this link I found sort of verifies it I think.

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/aw-55-50sn-af...nd-valve-body-
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 15:42   #6
gazza12345

My atf fluid was very dark brown. & gears were not smooth & snatching. The boxs hold about 7.2L of atf. But when draining them with the gearbox sump plug out you will only get about 4.5 to 5L Out of them. What i did was drain the 4.5 to 5L out then filled it back up & run it for 2 weeks. Then did the drain & fill again. But this time the atf fluid was black. New atf fluid as strong cleaning additives in it & this had cleaned all the crap out of the box. I did another 3 drains & refills over the next 6 weeks. The atf is now red & been like that for the past year & 1/2. The atf fluid is fully synthetic & around £10 a Litre. Don't go putting cheap none synthetic atf in it. It cannot take the heat & burns then kills the box.
gazza12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gazza12345 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 18:33   #7
hmsggg

this sounds like a good idea and makes sense were did you get your oil?
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 23:23   #8
gazza12345

This is what i put in. Carlube ATF-U Automatic Transmission Fluid is a fully synthetic fluid offering advanced lubrication protection for automatic transmissions which meets the following requirements.

Specifications: GM Dexron VI, Ford Mercon V, MB236.6, BMW 7045E, Toyota T-IV, Mitsubishi/Hyundai SPII , SPIII, Chrysler ATF, ATF3+, ATF4+, Honda Z1, Nissan Matic D, J, LT 71141, JWS3309, Volvo1161540 & VW/Audi G-055-025-AZ.
gazza12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:06   #9
fungus

Try ordering this part number from a Vauxhall dealer 93160393. It is JWS3309 spec oil. 12 litres for about £85. Vauxhalls toyota Volvo have the same AW55 gearbox. If the wrong fluid is used it will seriously damage the gbox.
See this link http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...09+part&page=5
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fungus For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:28   #10
fungus

Or here..
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=aw55+flush
When i did my S60 2004 i didn't change any seals for the cooler hose, job took two hours including tea drinking.
Lots of info on the net some with pics. or buy VADIS for around £5.
Just remember to check the oil level the after the car has been driven for 30mins with the engine running.
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fungus For This Useful Post: