Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2002 wing mirror

Views : 1534

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2011, 11:32   #1
Rackingman

Default V70 2002 wing mirror

Hi everyone. Damn, my daughters V70 was "touched" my a lorry squeezing past at traffic lights. Result is a near side mirror with grey plastic surround broken and cover missing/lost but the mirror glass intact and working. Has anyone any experience of fitting new replacements or units from scrap cars. A new on line spare is £99 in primer, Volvo quote is £400. The lorry didn't stop but she chased him and got the vehicle reg. which has been traced but the company deny their vehicle was any where near the location at the time. Any advice please.
Rackingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 20:47   #2
k-dog

I had the same happen to me about a year ago. I got similar quotes and ended up getting one from a breaker for about £45 - was totally the wrong colour but in decent condition. I got paint from Halfords for about £15 and took my time painting it and now you wouldn't know which one I changed.
k-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 21:02   #3
jajrst
Volvo S80 SE Owner

What colour and year is her car? I have one off a 99 S80 with a black cover. It needs a new motor and glass and is slightly damaged but if it will do you any good you can have it for the postage and say £10.
jajrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 13:50   #4
Rackingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajrst View Post
What colour and year is her car? I have one off a 99 S80 with a black cover. It needs a new motor and glass and is slightly damaged but if it will do you any good you can have it for the postage and say £10.
Thanks for your offer but it is a 2003 model V70 so it wont fit - but many thanks anyway.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 13:56   #5
Rackingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
I had the same happen to me about a year ago. I got similar quotes and ended up getting one from a breaker for about £45 - was totally the wrong colour but in decent condition. I got paint from Halfords for about £15 and took my time painting it and now you wouldn't know which one I changed.
Hi thanks for this - can you please assist further - how difficult was it to fit and which method did you use? I assume you for prise off the inside cover by the window frame and undo the nuts to release the assembly. Pull up the wires, reconnect and put it all back together. Is that right?
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 17:20   #6
k-dog

Spot on - it's a really simple job. The only thing to be really careful with is prising the cover off - it's easy to break the plastic pegs that hold it in place. Once you have the cover off it's easy to see what needs undone then it just falls off - handy to have someone holding it at this point.

The hard part for me was painting the thing - took a few goes to get a nice finish.
k-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k-dog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 17:20   #7
rozza

I lost the outer plastic clip-on cover for one of my mirrors (caught a post on a narrow lane). I was told initially by local Volvo agent that "it comes from Sweden and has to be sprayed to your colour to order" at about £90! I looked around for a scrap or other source but was unable to find one so eventually bit the bullet and went in to their spares dept. I was able to buy, off the shelf, an unpainted cover, together with pre-packed package of tins of spray paint and laquer for - if I remember correctly - about £30. Dead easy to paint and can't tell the difference from the other side.
Left hand, right hand or rip-off?
rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rozza For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 20:12   #8
PhilipE

The Volvo quote of £400 sounds as if it might be for the whole mirror unit. My cover flipped off when I was struck by another car whose owner decided not to wait behind a file of parked cars. The casing was promptly run over by another car, and that was the end of it!

A pre-painted replacement Volvo cover cost me around £75; this was about four years ago.

PhilipE
PhilipE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 15:48   #9
ms1000

I've just bought brand new passenger side for my 2007 V70 with electric fold, puddle light came complete with mirror and cover (unpainted) cost me £228, well pleased, oh and it has 'made in UK' stamped on the casing!
Mike
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 16:34   #10
steveshaw

If you report the details to the Police, they should be able to give you the vehicles insurance details and you may get some more cooperation.
steveshaw is offline   Reply With Quote