Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

O2 Sensor question/Help

Views : 2124

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 19:47   #1
Jay3178

Default O2 Sensor question/Help

Hi need a bit of advice

i had the codes on my car few weeks back and the engine light reset but came on again that day, the 2110 code was front o2 sensor signal high. have changed the front O2 sensor, boy that was not cheap!! one place wanted £270!! but managed to find a unirversal bosh 4 wire one for £50 which is supposed to be the right one. my mpg has improved a bit, however the light is still lit after 3 weeks, do they go away if its working as normal, or do they need reseting again? if not do you think the rear one also needs to be done as the light has not gone out?

cheers
Jay

forgot to say, its a Volvo V70 2002 2.4 Auto 140

Last edited by Jay3178; Mar 22nd, 2010 at 19:53.
Jay3178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:25   #2
silverback02
Premier Member

I have just done the exact same thing, put in a universal 4 wire.

(just to check, how did you connect yours up. IE my origional wiring is as follows.
2 black wires 1 blue amd 1 white.....the replacement are 2 white 1 black 1 gray.
I was told the 2 white and black cables went together then my blue to the new black and finaly my white to the new gray, is that the same????)

Anyway, at the moment my emmissions light has gone out......BUT i am still receiving fault codes on my reader, ECM 2110 / 2120, (pre heating the guide element).

I did read somewhere that they sometimes take a few cold to hot and back again cycles to settle down, I hope that is the case. I will give it a day or two then check the emmissions on a gas analizer again to see if this is the case.

Good luck on yours.
joe.
silverback02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:46   #3
grass hopper
Premier Member

the code needs cancelling,to reset the adaptation of the ECM remove the fuse for the ECM while the battery is connected for 1 hour,occasionally this can cancel the fault code also,worth a try.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 23:23   #4
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ghlight=walker

You will probably find that the heater resistance of your Bosch universal sensor does not match the original Denso one so the heater code will not reset.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 01:59   #5
grass hopper
Premier Member

should be a different code if the pre heater has failed as it will mention pre heater in the code.

worth checking with vida to be sure but the code could indicate that the sensor is at the limit of its adjustment due to another problem/sensor fault.

has the code been read from vida ? signal high could mean anything ?

usually if the preheater has failed it should mention this in the fault code ie pre heater open circuit.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 14:26   #6
burchp

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback02 View Post
I have just done the exact same thing, put in a universal 4 wire.

(just to check, how did you connect yours up. IE my origional wiring is as follows.
2 black wires 1 blue amd 1 white.....the replacement are 2 white 1 black 1 gray.
I was told the 2 white and black cables went together then my blue to the new black and finaly my white to the new gray, is that the same????)

Anyway, at the moment my emmissions light has gone out......BUT i am still receiving fault codes on my reader, ECM 2110 / 2120, (pre heating the guide element).

I did read somewhere that they sometimes take a few cold to hot and back again cycles to settle down, I hope that is the case. I will give it a day or two then check the emmissions on a gas analizer again to see if this is the case.

Good luck on yours.
joe.
Hi. I am having ECM 2110 and light on my V70 02 plate with 2.4l norm aspirated. It is showing ECM2110 signal too high. I have tested the voltages and are as follows

Black wire 13.9v running. 12.4v ignition on not running
Black wire 12.6v running. 11.3v ditto.
Blue wire 3.77v running. 3.77v ditto.
White wire 3.77v running. 3.77v ditto.

Any thoughts please. I’d start a thread but not allowed currently! Car runs fine. Originally had two faults. ECM 9150 fixed (seems to be but still waiting for light to go out to confirm) having repaired the throttle body at BBA. Light still on due Lambda sensor issue. I will clean the MAF, but the perculiar voltages suggest something wrong with ECU or the sensor or the wiring maybe. Any thoughts please. The car has a Prins LPG system fitted for reference.
burchp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 17:41   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I got an "upstream sensor code" on my '02 non-turbo @160K mi. This was before I got my BSR-PPC reader. While it's a far cry from a VIDA the PPC gives you real Volvo codes.

The Volvo population was warned repeatedly about the Bosch universals. Their outputs were said not to jibe with Volvo's electronics.

I got the Denso #234-9019 replacement for $100 less than the Volvo part; which was #9497252. Also, the original parts ceramic read both "Volvo" and "Denso" so I felt confident. It worked.

The 25% reduction in fuel economy instantly returned. It pays to keep track.

Also, the replacement sensors I've seen all included a warning against using a soldering iron on the leads -crimp the connections ONLY.

I know it's east to spend other people's money but I'd seriously consider getting the listed upstream Denso sensor for your car and go from there.

Does the OP, Jay3178, own any code reader with which to clear a code? Sometimes knowing the rate at which a code returns can be helpful.

Also, at what mileage did the sensor give out?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote