Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Glowplug replacement queries

Views : 1149

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 15:13   #1
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Default Glowplug replacement queries

I have a 2008 V70 2.4D auto (163 BHp D5 engine) and in the winter it always runs roughly for a few seconds after starting although it's never failed to start. Suspecting a glowplug issue, I finally got around to checking the DC resistance of the glowplugs.

Three of them read less than 1 ohm, one is about 20 ohms and one is open circuit so I reckon one is dead, another useless and the remaining three are probably OK.

So, do I just replace the dead ones or, on the basis that the rest can't be far behind, all of them?

Are they best removed and replaced when the engine is cold or warm?

I should welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 15:20   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
I have a 2008 V70 2.4D auto (163 BHp D5 engine) and in the winter it always runs roughly for a few seconds after starting although it's never failed to start. Suspecting a glowplug issue, I finally got around to checking the DC resistance of the glowplugs.

Three of them read less than 1 ohm, one is about 20 ohms and one is open circuit so I reckon one is dead, another useless and the remaining three are probably OK.

So, do I just replace the dead ones or, on the basis that the rest can't be far behind, all of them?

Are they best removed and replaced when the engine is cold or warm?

I should welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks

Martin
good opportunity to replace them all , you don't want to be doing another in the winter when it is Minus 20 C ! Be very gentle with them , ease them out and wind them in by hand with the smallest of a nip to tighten , there is no washer to compress it is a metal to metal joint . The fault codes indicate exactly which ones are not working ..
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 16:10   #3
Martin Cox
VOC Member

That's what I was thinking too. I believe the recommended torque for installing them is 8 nm which is the lowest setting on my Norbar torque wrench; the merest nip really.

If they don't loosen with with little more torque than that, I shall be leaving it to my local dealer to do. I don't want to run the risk of breaking them.

Many thanks.

Martin
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 17:57   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Several small squirts of a proper penetrating oil over a few days then remove them on a warm engine.
Use a proper fitting, hexagonal glow plug key. Dead easy.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 22:12   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Sounds good advice. I have an 8mm deep socket, a proper hexagon one and some 'Eezit' graphite penetrating oil I inherited from my Father in Law. It probably convenes any COSHH regulations but usually works very well. Hopefully they should do the job.

I didn't have any difficulty with the glow plugs on my other V70, a phase 1 with the D5252t Audi engine but the cylinder head was off and the glow plugs were altogether more robust affairs.

Many thanks

Martin
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 10:16   #6
Model flyer
Master Member

[QUOTE=Martin Cox;2427703]Sounds good advice. I have an 8mm deep socket, a proper hexagon one and some 'Eezit' graphite penetrating oil I inherited from my Father in Law. It probably convenes any COSHH regulations but usually works very well. Hopefully they should do the job.

I managed to change the plugs in my P2 very easily. I have a can of original plus gas penetrating oil again probably breaks all the Coshh regs .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 00:57   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

No product breaks COSHH regs! The regs concern the correct handling of hazardous chemicals in the work place. You have to record the procedures employed to safely handle any given hazardous substance and make these instructions available to employees. There are safe handling procedures for weapons grade plutonium so handling it does not contravene the COSHH regs, so a little bit of penetrating oil, if handled safely is quite legal.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 13:47   #8
Martin Cox
VOC Member

In the end I opted to change the two dead ones. Very straightforward. A deep 8mm hexagon socket and extension and my torque wrench did the job quite painlessly.

Of course it started perfectly but at 28 degrees Celsius, I doubt the glow plugs were doing anything at all.

Martin
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 08:44   #9
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
In the end I opted to change the two dead ones. Very straightforward. A deep 8mm hexagon socket and extension and my torque wrench did the job quite painlessly.

Of course it started perfectly but at 28 degrees Celsius, I doubt the glow plugs were doing anything at all.

Martin
Was that because of cost or access Martin?

Not done them on the volvo, on the landrover which in truth will start in minus temps without them I treat them as a service item and change every couple of years. About a £1 each and easy to get at.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:51   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
at 28 degrees Celsius, I doubt the glow plugs were doing anything at all.
They're needed for regenerations so you always want them all working.